Thread: Searched to no avail - Question about Utah CFP in Michigan

Searched to no avail - Question about Utah CFP in Michigan

Hello all, I'm trying to find some answers for my family members who are relocating to Michigan. I realize this forum is of course geared towards OC, but I also recognize the wealth of knowlege found here for both OC and CC.

My BIL was told that he cannot carry concealed in Michigan because he does not have a current Utah Drivers License to go along with his Utah CFP. He's originally from Utah, went to med school in WV, did residency in FL, and is now a Dr. in Michigan and currently has a Florida DL. I'm not sure who (of what authority) told him that he can't carry due to his lack of a Utah DL.

From my research, Michigan "recognizes" the Utah CFP. I cannot find it written anywhere that one must have the DL of the permitted state of the CFP. Make sense? I haven't had time to pour through the Michigan Codes, but thought that some of the minds on here already versed in the codes could help.

Thoughts, comments... ?

Thanks

-Jason
    Last edited by SAMI; 11-15-2010 at 05:45 PM.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Better be asked in Michigan forum

This is in the Wisconsin forum. You might get more authoritative answers from the Michigan forum.

Now we do have Sonderkommando lurkers that are expert on all gun laws, but I don't know if they'll un-cloak
    Last edited by Doug Huffman; 11-15-2010 at 05:49 PM.

Wow.. Apparently I cannot multi task on a Monday.. I was looking up carry laws in Wisconsin since my sister just moved there yesterday, and trying to research the Michigan issue for the other family members...

:shakeshead:

I really do know how to use the internets.

Thanks, and I'll be posting this over in the proper section.

-Jason

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Well, welcome to you and to your sister. She's fortunate to have so considerate and attentive a brother. She's welcome here because we need more distaff OPEN CARRY advocate/activists.

I was just in SLC in September, part of a road trip from here to southern Utah, then north to northern Idaho, picking out good bicycle (high performance Greenspeed trikes) rides. In Utah we rode around Moab. We planned to ride the Jordan River bike path and into Temple Square, but after scouting it out - uggh - we gave it a pass and drove to Idaho Falls.

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA

Wink Welcome to the Wisconsin forum

Quote Originally Posted by SAMI View Post
    .... From my research, Michigan "recognizes" the Utah CFP. I cannot find it written anywhere that one must have the DL of the permitted state of the CFP. Make sense? I haven't had time to pour through the Michigan Codes, but thought that some of the minds on here already versed in the codes could help.

Thoughts, comments... ?

Thanks

-Jason
    Hi Jason,
    Welcome to the friendly Wisconsin forum.... Contrary to what Doug says, I can give you an authoritative answer. I don't have the statutes at my fingertips, but I can lay hands on them if necessary.

First of all, if your BIL has not informed Utah of each change of address, he is in violation of the terms of his permit. Furthermore, unless he can prove he is a resident of Utah, and it doesn't sound like he can, he should have a non-resident permit.

Now if this is the case, a holder of a non-resident CFP may open carry under certain circumstances. Ah, I found the relevant statutes in
    this thread.

I've been doing my due diligence on your laws and it looks like with 28.422. 28.432, and 750.234d I'll be legal to Open Carry with my non-resident Utah CCW license. It also looks like I could Open Carry in:

(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.
    (b) A church or other house of religious worship.
    (c) A court.
    (d) A theatre.
    (e) A sports arena.
    (f) A day care center.
    (g) A hospital.
    (h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
    And
    Originally Posted by DrTodd You may carry in all parks... Michigan has complete preemption of local ordinances that deal with firearms.
    http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-123-1102
    You may want to carry this handy chart: http://www.miopencarry.org/moc_files/brochure.pdf
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

Campaign Veteran
    I just glanced at my non-resident CCW Utah ID, it doesn't say "non-resident" on it, however, it does list my current address on the ID, so one could figure it out quite easily.

I agree with Dave, they need to get their address changed on the ID card, and they would not be able to carry concealed in MI because they do not posses a resident permit.

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA

Utah CCW address change

The procedure for changing the address on a Utah CCW is on this website:

http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/CFAddChg.html
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.