• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about Utah CFP in Michigan

apjonas

Let's Start with the Basics

1. Why is BIL living in MI at all?
2. Which state BIL thinks he's a resident of is not unimportant but not determinative.
3. What do you think would happen if BIL told FL that he's a resident of FL but is carrying on a UT permit?
4. Now it is possible to be a legal resident of FL for part of the year and MI for the rest. The question then becomes at the point in time of interest, where was the residency. Again the things that will be looked at (licensing, taxes, voting, physical presence, etc.) will decide. Last time I checked MI had an income tax, FL did not. Income taxes are one thing a state can get pretty testy about, particularly with a highly paid professional. If BIL is doing the tax evasion tango, carry permits are going to be the least of his worries. A few years ago a Northwest pilot got clobbered by Minnesota. I guess he's out of prison now.

eastmeyers

If he is planning on spending YEARS here, I would say get a Michigan DL, and a Michigan CPL, see if he can get his CPL expediated because he has his Utah Carry Permit. That seems to me to only way to be LEGAL! The only reason I suggested the Florida route before is besause you made it sound like he wasn't going to be here that long, but a few years is that long, anything over 6 months is that long in the eyes of the law... At least thats how I understand it.

SAMI

apjonas, you come across as condescending and it's getting old. Thanks but no thanks for your lesson on, "The Basics".. Scoot along and pester someone else with your attitude.

I've told my SIL & BIL to review the information that autosurgeon posted; which points to my family members that are newly nested in MI to becoming MI residents for the 3 years that they will be there. The facts are all there.

Thanks,

Jason

Onnie

according to michigan.gov

You are considered a Michigan resident if you have a permanent home or employment in Michigan with the intention of remaining in the state

I could find no # of day needed for michigan

if you plan on getting a Divorce, hmmmmmmmm, sorry lost my train of though, ahh if you are planning on getting a Divorce you need to be a resident of Michigan for 180 days maybe thats what most people think of a residency requirement

Bronson

MCL 28.422

(8) An individual who is not a resident of this state is not required to obtain a license under this section if all of the following conditions apply:

(a) The individual is licensed in his or her state of residence to purchase, carry, or transport a pistol. Nope since the state of residence is FL and it's a UT permit

(b) The individual is in possession of the license described in subdivision (a). N/A

(c) The individual is the owner of the pistol he or she possesses, carries, or transports.

(d) The individual possesses the pistol for a lawful purpose as that term is defined in section 231a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.231a.

(e) The individual is in this state for a period of 180 days or less and does not intend to establish residency in this state. How long have they been here?

Since all of those requirements need to be met in order for your BIL to be exempt from having to get a License To Purchase/Possess for, and then register, each handgun he owns I'd say he's either in violation or will be in violation of this statute once he is here longer than 180 days.

Bronson

Last edited:

apjonas

Ooops, hit a nerve!

apjonas, you come across as condescending and it's getting old. Thanks but no thanks for your lesson on, "The Basics".. Scoot along and pester someone else with your attitude.

I've told my SIL & BIL to review the information that autosurgeon posted; which points to my family members that are newly nested in MI to becoming MI residents for the 3 years that they will be there. The facts are all there.

Thanks,

Jason

Well, apparently my suspicions were correct. It is nice to see that BIL (&SIL? - what exactly happend in WV?) are going to follow my advice. You don't have to thank me but at least don't pretend that you totally ignored the kind suggestions I made. I really was trying to be helpful but you didn't hear what you wanted to hear and got pouty. I'm still waiting to hear how a FL resident qualifies to carry in FL on a UT license because of reciprocity.

mrjam2jab

My brother and sister are both legit FL residents and have a house in FL, one WV, and now another in MI. They visit the FL house as much as possible because anyone would much rather be in FL than MI.. If you disagree you're lying. ;) They rent out the WV house, so they don't go there for anything other than landlord responsibilities. Why bother getting a FL permit when you already have a UT permit? FL and UT have a recipricating agreement, so the UT permit is just as good as the FL permit, regardless of whether residence is in FL or UT. They won't be in MI for more than 3 years, then it's back to FL perminently.

FL, like MI, only honors resident permits of the states they honor. So they will only honor the UT permit of UT residents.

790.015 Nonresidents who are United States citizens and hold a concealed weapons license in another state; reciprocity.--

(1) Notwithstanding s. 790.01, a resident of the United States who is a nonresident of Florida may carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm while in this state if the nonresident:

(a) Is 21 years of age or older; and

(b) Has in his or her immediate possession a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm issued to the nonresident in his or her state of residence.

(2) A nonresident is subject to the same laws and restrictions with respect to carrying a concealed weapon or concealed firearm as a resident of Florida who is so licensed.

(3) If the resident of another state who is the holder of a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm issued in another state establishes legal residence in this state by registering to vote, or making a statement of domicile pursuant to s. 222.17, or filing for homestead tax exemption on property in this state, the license shall remain in effect for 90 days following the date on which the holder of the license establishes legal state residence. This section applies only to nonresident concealed weapon or concealed firearm licenseholders from states that honor Florida concealed weapon or concealed firearm licenses.

Last edited:

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
My brother and sister are both legit FL residents and have a house in FL, one WV, and now another in MI. They visit the FL house as much as possible because anyone would much rather be in FL than MI.. If you disagree you're lying. ;)
Actually, I'd rather be in Indiana, that's the state I was born and raised in, and unlike almost every other state you can get a life time permit there now. :) But, with regards to MI vs. FL, I prefer the change of seasons, and I don't like the idea of catfish walking across my yard, nor do I like the idea of alligators maybe snatching my dog or cat to have as a snack. AND, you can keep all the hurricanes and oil spills, thank you very much. :) Oh, and of course, FL doesn't allow Open Carry. :lol:

No, I'm not lying. FL may be a nice place to visit, (Like Hawaii) but I would not want to live there. If any of my relatives gave me property down there, I'd sell it.

Last edited:

press1280

True Dat :monkey

That's what you get when you're state doesn't nit pick about training requirements or 24 hour databases, fingerprints,exc. What MI (and next year IA) will have is reciprocity with every other state that has reciprocity. My state has all these "requirements" which prevent us from reciprocity in about a dozen states.

Bronson

Actually, I'd rather be in Indiana, that's the state I was born and raised in, and unlike almost every other state you can get a life time permit there now. :) But, with regards to MI vs. FL, I prefer the change of seasons, and I don't like the idea of catfish walking across my yard, nor do I like the idea of alligators maybe snatching my dog or cat to have as a snack. AND, you can keep all the hurricanes and oil spills, thank you very much. :) Oh, and of course, FL doesn't allow Open Carry. :lol:

No, I'm not lying. FL may be a nice place to visit, (Like Hawaii) but I would not want to live there. If any of my relatives gave me property down there, I'd sell it.

+1 I've been to FL twice and I have zero desire to go there again.

Bronson