• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Crappy Weather in Forcast

amlevin

I was born and raised in the Midwest so I know about winter weather.

So was my wife. Drove everywhere during the winter back home. Then she moved here and wondered why our snow was so wet and slimy. Also couldn't figure out why we had so many hills. After all, the snow back home was nice and dry, gave great traction, and the biggest hill in the entire county was about 200' high .

Staying home is probably the best option but for some reason, at the first snowflake, everyone has to hit the road. Problem would be solved if our State would enact some "Emergency Snow Route" laws like on the East Coast. You get stuck on one of them and you get towed, period. Get stuck without the proper winter tires or chains and you get a major fine on top of the tow bill. Seems to make a few more people think before venturing out.

Last edited:

ak56

Campaign Veteran
I was trying to be funny, Metalhead. I don't flip out or blame anyone, I just deal with it. If the roads are truly bad, I stay home. Not worth wrecking the car or getting hurt, then not being able to work when the roads are good. I was born and raised in the Midwest so I know about winter weather. I worry about other people who don't know how to drive in it. It may be an interesting winter!:lol:

So was my wife. Drove everywhere during the winter back home. Then she moved here and wondered why our snow was so wet and slimy. Also couldn't figure out why we had so many hills. After all, the snow back home was nice and dry, gave great traction, and the biggest hill in the entire county was about 200' high .

Staying home is probably the best option but for some reason, at the first snowflake, everyone has to hit the road. Problem would be solved if our State would enact some "Emergency Snow Route" laws like on the East Coast. You get stuck on one of them and you get towed, period. Get stuck without the proper winter tires or chains and you get a major fine on top of the tow bill. Seems to make a few more people think before venturing out.

We had a VP where I used to work who was from the midwest, and knew all about winter driving, and how we Washingtonians couldn't drive in the snow. We had a good laugh when we were all at work after a light snow, and he called in because he couldn't get out of his driveway.

My approach is to take back roads home -the ones no one else would dare drive on in the snow. With nobody on them, the snow isn't packed down and will give you traction. Then wait a day until the idiots are all in the ditch or staying home in paranoia, then chain up and go wherever I need to without problems.

Metalhead47

I was trying to be funny, Metalhead. I don't flip out or blame anyone, I just deal with it. If the roads are truly bad, I stay home. Not worth wrecking the car or getting hurt, then not being able to work when the roads are good. I was born and raised in the Midwest so I know about winter weather. I worry about other people who don't know how to drive in it. It may be an interesting winter!:lol:

Wasn't trying to direct that at you honestly. :p

Kind of reminds me of a guy I saw during all that snow we had two years ago.
I was in capital hill walking up hill and heard the sound of tires slipping on the road.
I glanced to my right and saw a small sedan and noticed he had chains on the rear tires, the front tires were spinning as he was sliding backwards down the hill.:banghead:

ROFLMAO did you stop and clue him in on the proper use of chains... or at least put the video on youtube for the entertainment of all?

Gas-guzzling SUVs FTW!

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
:shocker:

Holey overpenetration Batman!

The FBI would disagree:

"The fear of over-penetration is a misconception, which was created back when law enforcement was trying to overcome misinformed public resistance to the use of hollowpoint ammunition. In the process, we began to believe it ourselves. First, our lawyers are unaware of any sucessful legal action resulting from the injury of a bystander due to a round over-penetrating the subject. We are aware of numerous incidents of Agents/officers being killed because their round did not penetrate enough (Grogan and Dove, for example). Further, if you examine shooting statistics you will see that officers hit the subject somewhere around 20-30% of the time. Thus 70-80% of shots fired never hit their intended target, and nobody ever worries about them - only the ones that might “over-penetrate” the bad guy. Third, as our testing shows, even the most frangible bullets designed specifically for shallow penetration will plug up when striking wood or wallboard and then penetrate like full metal jacket ammunition. We are aware of successful legal actions where an innocent party has been struck by a shot passing through a wall, but as we have proven, ALL of them will do that."

- http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi_10mm_notes.pdf

golddigger14s

Activist Member
I never worry about a little drizzle on my carry guns, but if it is truly raining I typically CC.

I think another important question this time of year is what type of ammo people carry. Some people fear that hollow points will penetrate poorly through winter clothing so they switch to round nose or fmj rounds. Its something to discuss in another thread if it hasn't been done already.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...amp-Ammunition-v.-Summer-Carry-amp-Ammunition