• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Illegal Immigrants Entitled to In-State Tuition"

Coded-Dude

This just in......

The California Supreme Court ruled Monday that some illegal immigrants are entitled to the same tuition breaks offered to in-state high school students to attend public colleges and universities.

While the ruling applies only to California, the case was closely watched nationally because nine other states including New York and Texas have similar laws.

Republican congressmen Lamar S. Smith of Texas and Steve King of Iowa filed a so-called friends of the court brief urging that illegal immigrants be denied the reduced rate.

The lawsuit considered by the court was part of a broader legal assault led by the immigration legal scholar Kris Kobach, who has filed numerous cases across the country seeking to restrict the rights of illegal immigrants.
source - full article

:confused:

K

kittyhawk63

Creating
Allowances
Letting
Illegals
Find
Our
Resources
Now
In
America

KBCraig

OT for a state forum; should be in the social lounge.

That said: resident and non-resident tuition is based on residency, not citizenship or legal status.

There was a case a few years ago in Texas or Arkansas (I'm on the border, so sometimes I get the news mixed up) about this. The outcome was the same. In that case, it was a young woman who had lived in the state since she was a toddler. She didn't even speak Spanish, but they tried to rule she didn't qualify for in-state tuition despite having lived in the state for over 17 years.

K

kittyhawk63

OT for a state forum; should be in the social lounge.

That said: resident and non-resident tuition is based on residency, not citizenship or legal status.

There was a case a few years ago in Texas or Arkansas (I'm on the border, so sometimes I get the news mixed up) about this. The outcome was the same. In that case, it was a young woman who had lived in the state since she was a toddler. She didn't even speak Spanish, but they tried to rule she didn't qualify for in-state tuition despite having lived in the state for over 17 years.

Non-resident does not apply to people who are illegally in this country. They can be people who are here on student visas. Illegals are illegals...plain and simple.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
This has nothing to do with open carry as far as I can tell. Lets try to stay on topic.

K

kittyhawk63

This has nothing to do with open carry as far as I can tell. Lets try to stay on topic.

We are on topic with the OP. It is just in the wrong section. Get it moved.

Last edited:

eye95

If there is no consequence for illegal activity, it will increase.

If someone is here illegally, we should not be paying for or subsidizing their education with the people's money.

Kick 'em out as soon as you find them.

PT111

Since it was linked on the same page as the article posted

I would say this is definitely OC related. Just glad he woke up before he shot someone else.

http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/sns-mobile-weird-story131,0,1507636.story

BOULDER, Colo. (AP) -- Police said a Boulder man who told police he woke up to a "bang" and realized he suffered a gunshot wound to his knee likely shot himself while sleepwalking. The Daily Camera reported that 63-year-old Sanford Rothman told investigators he had no clear recollection of the incident early Tuesday morning. No one else was in Rothman's home at the time.

Boulder police Sgt. Paul Reichenback said that Rothman keeps a 9 mm handgun near his bed and takes presciption medication for pain. Police said no alcohol or illegal drugs played a role in the incident.

Rothman was treated at a hospital and released.

Coded-Dude

what i don't understand is how is it that illegal immigrants are able to enroll in high school or college? :confused:

eye95

Many schools do not check status, are not allowed to check, are required to ignore, or simply don't check due to impracticality.

However, once it comes to their attention, all governmental officials, including school officials, should notify ICE so they can begin deportation. Unfortunately, "sanctuary" laws often prevent this.

Kick 'em out. Children, babies, elderly, infirmed, parents, relatives of the president, I don't care. Our government has the lawful power to write and enforce immigration policy. I expect them to do their jobs to stop and reverse this invasion of lawbreakers.

xnetc9

and this is one of the main reasons i open carry in california. the huge influx of illegal immigration (now more from arizona) have caused great concerns within neighborhoods. just a few days ago, i had some cholos dog me. these illegals deal drugs just 10 feet from my window. there are weekly car burglaries in my parking lot.

viva la raza? lol.

Superlite27

I would think that if Illegals are eligible for the same benefits as U.S. citizens, they should also be required to make the same sacrifices, huh?

Since U.S. Citizens are required to register for Selective Service at age 18, shouldn't the Illegal "Immigarants"?

Why doesn't someone get their lawmakers in CA to put up some legislation requiring anyone receiving the benefit of in state tuition to offer proof of registration with selective service?

Good idea, or bad?

KBCraig

I would think that if Illegals are eligible for the same benefits as U.S. citizens, they should also be required to make the same sacrifices, huh?

Since U.S. Citizens are required to register for Selective Service at age 18, shouldn't the Illegal "Immigarants"?

All males residing in the United States between the ages of 18 and 25 are required to register. Yes, including illegal immigrants.

eye95

All males residing in the United States between the ages of 18 and 25 are required to register. Yes, including illegal immigrants.

Thanks for the info. I verified it, and you are correct. I further discovered that failure to register for the selective service is cause to deny citizenship later.

I agree that a law should be passed requiring all State schools to check selective service status for all students and denying admission for any who haven't registered. Further require the school to report non-registration to the selective service.

KBCraig

I agree that a law should be passed requiring all State schools to check selective service status for all students and denying admission for any who haven't registered.
More than half of college students are female, you know. They can't register even if they want to.

PT111

Thanks for the info. I verified it, and you are correct. I further discovered that failure to register for the selective service is cause to deny citizenship later.

I agree that a law should be passed requiring all State schools to check selective service status for all students and denying admission for any who haven't registered. Further require the school to report non-registration to the selective service.

I don't know about other states but in SC we already have to do that along with veifying that they are a citizen. Of course some get fake ID's etc. but we have to go through the process.

eye95

More than half of college students are female, you know. They can't register even if they want to.

Years of being a math teacher taught me to teach my students: If you can't solve the whole problem, you solve the part you can, reducing the problem to a simpler one that might be solved using another technique.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Why doesn't someone get their lawmakers in CA to put up some legislation requiring anyone receiving the benefit of in state tuition to offer proof of registration with selective service?

Good idea, or bad?

No, you don't want to do this. I will only give credence to their illegal stay in our nation.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Just one more reason why California is in the fiscal mess they're in. The only way we are going to solve the problem of illegals in this country is to remove the incentives for them to come here. This means;

o No public assistance of any kind, federal, state, or local.
o No driver's licenses.
o No medical treatment offered or paid for through public funds.
o No education opportunities.
o No food, shelter, or any such necessities.
o No jobs.
o Business caught employing illegals would be subject to heavy fines and penalties up to being put out of business.
o No anchor babies (read the 14th amendment and the discussions presented at the time of its adoption).

In other words, make damned certain they have no reason to come here, much less stay here. And deportation costs should be borne by businesses who hire them, organizations which encourage them to come, and even Mexico. This problem is destroying our nation like a seeping wound. It's time we took drastic measures to stem the flow and turn this festering boil around.

xnetc9

agreed. but there's lots of kickbacks for those politicians you know. all i can do is arm myself and family to prevent things like this:
http://www.alipac.us/article5820.html
11/4/2010
Associated Press

A fourth victim survived and testified at the first trial in the case that she was sexually assaulted, slashed with a machete and shot in the head.

She also spoke in court Thursday, thanking Jovel for "allowing me to get closer to Christ" before chastising him for refusing to look at her as she spoke.

"You and your homies had a plan for me, you wanted me dead — but I'm still here," said the woman, who is not being identified by The Associated Press because of the sexual assault charges. "Have fun living your fancy life in jail," she added.

Jovel, wearing dark green prison scrubs and translation headphones, stared straight ahead throughout the proceedings, making only a brief statement in Spanish before his sentencing.

"The only thing I have to say is the person who was sentenced had nothing to do with it," Jovel said, an apparent reference to co-defendant Rodolfo Godinez, who was sentenced in July to three consecutive life sentences for the killings.

Four other defendants are in jail awaiting trial.

Prosecutors said Godinez, a legal immigrant from Nicaragua, Jovel, an illegal Honduran immigrant, and several of the defendants were engaging in an initiation ritual for members of the MS-13 street gang. The men did not know the victims, prosecutors said, but Jovel and at least two of the other suspects had lived in an apartment complex across the street from the scene of the slayings.

The four victims, who attended or planned to attend Delaware State University, were hanging out listening to music behind Newark's Mount Vernon school on the night of Aug. 4, 2007, when they were approached by the suspects, who robbed them and forced them to lie on the ground before shooting them, according to prosecutors.

The publicity surrounding the killings focused national attention on violent crime in New Jersey's largest city and jump-started anti-crime initiatives. The killings also led state officials to grant police the authority to refer violent crime suspects' names to immigration authorities if they are suspected of being in the country illegally.

Several of the victims' family members spoke at the sentencing, including Dashon Harvey's father, James.

"My son was a beacon of light in our society, in which beacons of light are hard to find," he said. "He made me proud to be his dad, in a society without a lot of fathers."

The families expressed relief at Jovel's sentencing, but Essex County Assistant Prosecutor Thomas McTigue said it was little comfort compared to "the pain and enormity of the cases."

"I think it bespeaks the community's growing impatience with the violence that permeates everyday life, and the casual way sometimes life is taken in this county without provocation, and without any seeming good reason," McTigue said.

State Superior Court Judge Michael Ravin gave Jovel three consecutive life sentences plus 20 years, which in New Jersey, is an aggregate sentence of about 245 years.

Jovel would have to serve at least 85 percent of that before becoming eligible for parole.