Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jacket issue - cc to oc with a permit

jacket issue - cc to oc with a permit

now that winter is about here, we are all starting to wear coats(it was in the 60's today though). my question about coats is....say i'm wearing a shoulder holster, vertical, and i have on a coat. I go out to get something to eat, go inside, get a booth. if i take my jacket off, is that legal?

Once your jacket is removed you are OC and that is 100% legal.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Let's start by presuming that you have your CHP to deal with wearing the shoulder holster under the jacket.

Now, taking off the jacket converts you from CC to OC. Again presuming that the place you chose for dining is not posted, what's the problem?

Yes, changing from CC to OC is legal. Nothing says you must stick with one or the other style of dress/carry.

stay safe.

Get a leg holster, or freeze. IMO. Thats what I do, I can not wear a shoulder holster because it will just cover the gun, which is illgeal I do not have a permit. and +1 to skidmark "Now, taking off the jacket converts you from CC to OC. Again presuming that the place you chose for dining is not posted, what's the problem?" in FL it is illgeal to print or OC, here its not. But you can not CC without a CHP. It would be illgeal for person A to CC without a permit, a gun in a shoulder holster into a store/food place, then remove it to OC. He was CCing into the place which was illgeal act. But if person A holds a valid CHP he may CC then remove his coat to OC.
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 11-15-2010 at 08:21 PM.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Snazuolu View Post
    now that winter is about here, we are all starting to wear coats(it was in the 60's today though). my question about coats is....say i'm wearing a shoulder holster, vertical, and i have on a coat. I go out to get something to eat, go inside, get a booth. if i take my jacket off, is that legal?
    So you have a CHP?
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

The main reason i have my Idaho CWP and Utah CFP. I carry with a serpa level 2 on the hip, I hate being cold and love a long warm coat to keep me warm and dry. Personally i would never wear a drop leg holster....a little to tacky...mall copish look. just my choice.

i do have my CWP. i was just wondering if the establishment doesnt have any sign up saying no guns allowed, and i wear a jacket, covering a shoulder holster and a 460, and we are seated and i take my jacket off, i just wanted to make sure that there wasnt any issue as to if you CC, you have to remain CC. ok, so if this is legal, than i can plan on carrying the hand cannons everyday now.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Didn't this thread answer your question already? - http://vagunforum.net/carrying/open-...rry-t6714.html

By the way, we do a class that may answer some of these questions for you - http://proactiveshooters.com/general...d-carry-in-va/
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    i do have my CWP
    Issued from what state? VA does not issue "CWP's" they issued CHP's.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Didn't this thread answer your question already? - http://vagunforum.net/carrying/open-...rry-t6714.html

By the way, we do a class that may answer some of these questions for you - http://proactiveshooters.com/general...d-carry-in-va/
    no , it didnt. it helped, but noone said if you are CC, if you have to remain CC or not.

Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    Issued from what state? VA does not issue "CWP's" they issued CHP's.
    then i have my CHP. didnt know there was a difference...bottom line, i can legally carry concealed.

i just wanted to make sure that there wasnt any issue as to if you CC, you have to remain CC.
    nope. nothing to worry about like that (unless you're somewhere where you must cc with permit (no oc) like in your car on K-12 property, etc.)

Founder's Club Member
    Snazalou I and my wife open carry in many of the restaurants all over town and I can only think of a few places that would have any issue with your carrying at all (Buffalo Wild Wings, Shoemaker's, Waterstone Pizza and the place that's over where Rubs used to be near 501 and Fort Avenue (bottom of the hill from Wards headed toward Forest)). Everywhere else should have no issue at all from my experience. If you want to wear a jacket and OC, just get yourself a jacket with a side opening at the waist.

How far does the class go into detail about the laws?

Quote Originally Posted by xdm guy View Post
    How far does the class go into detail about the laws?
    Well, I'm not sure that I understand your question. We read the statutes and I break them down and explain them in simple terms, rather than legalese.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Glock Certified Armorer

then i have my CHP. didnt know there was a difference...bottom line, i can legally carry concealed.
    There isn't. The laws of the state don't change simply because you mixed up your alphabet. Who cares what you call it. I see guys get all wadded up over this a lot.

Didn't this thread answer your question already?
    I see no problem that you posted to more than one site. I didn't know we had internet police now.

Quote Originally Posted by glock-40 View Post
    There isn't. The laws of the state don't change simply because you mixed up your alphabet. Who cares what you call it. I see guys get all wadded up over this a lot.
    ACTUALLY THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE THAT CAN BE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN LAW ABIDING AND JAIL TIME.

In Virginia we have a Concealed Handgun Permit...good for carrying concealed HANDGUNS and nothing else. Concealed Weapons Permits (what VA used to have actually back in the early 90s before we were shall issue) allow the carrying of concealed weapons...which include handguns, shotguns, rifles, big knives, and all those other goodies mentioned in our concealed weapons law.

So yes, it does matter and there is a big difference.

Originally Posted by ProShooter

I see no problem that you posted to more than one site. I didn't know we had internet police now.
    I see no problem with it either. I was simply asking why the thread he posted elsewhere some 12 hours earlier didn't answer his question. I asked because I replied to that earlier thread too. By your comment, now who's being the internet police? Oh and by the way, most people use their first post on a forum to introduce themselves, not make snide comments to other members......thanks for playing though.
    Last edited by ProShooter; 11-17-2010 at 07:26 AM.
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Originally Posted by ProShooter

Oh and by the way, most people use their first post on a forum to introduce themselves, not make snide comments to other members......thanks for playing though.
    I agree. Kinda like walking into a neighbor's house for the first time and telling them their taste in furnishings is less than attractive. Great way to ingratiate one's self with the members.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

I knew all of that was coming.

My name is Jim from NOVA and a relatively long time gun owner but I discovered this forum a few months ago and have been lurking since there is a lot of valuable information here and good people it seems. Unfortunately I see people from time to time both here and on other forums that are ever so anal about correcting others about their licensing acronyms.

nova - regardless of what you call your handgun permit / license or weapons permit (yeah threw that one in there just to turn some screws) you are still subject to the laws of the state you are in - regardless of what state issued your permit (assuming there is reciprocity of course.) If someone moved here from FL and obtained a VA permit but still wants to refer to it as a a CWP, who cares. It is their responsibility to know the laws and limitations of VA - remember that thing we call self-responsibility? If you take your VA permit to visit FL are you saying you can not carry a stun gun or billie because your VA permit doesn't have the word "weapon" on it? I think not. And I think you know this. So let's stop splitting hairs and scolding people over "what it says" and focus on what it means and the jurisdictional boundaries. Being helpful and educational is one thing but I see people cross that line all the time with their muscle flexing look what I know syndrome.

Mr Shooter - you offer a lot of valuable advise to members here. Maybe my posts were a bit snide but that was unintentional. Just calling it the way I see it. I don't see a need to chastise a guy cause he posted on two different forums. Not everyone subscribes to all forums and he was obviously looking to a different community for input. I am not policing since it wasn't I that brought his other post to the spotlight. Thanks for all of your knowledgeable input you provide on the threads.

BTW - Bama is currently trying to fill the internet czar position - so for those interested, when filling out the application just please be sure to get your acronyms right...

nova - regardless of what you call your handgun permit / license or weapons permit (yeah threw that one in there just to turn some screws) you are still subject to the laws of the state you are in - regardless of what state issued your permit (assuming there is reciprocity of course.) If someone moved here from FL and obtained a VA permit but still wants to refer to it as a a CWP, who cares. It is their responsibility to know the laws and limitations of VA - remember that thing we call self-responsibility? If you take your VA permit to visit FL are you saying you can not carry a stun gun or billie because your VA permit doesn't have the word "weapon" on it? I think not. And I think you know this. So let's stop splitting hairs and scolding people over "what it says" and focus on what it means and the jurisdictional boundaries. Being helpful and educational is one thing but I see people cross that line all the time with their muscle flexing look what I know syndrome.
    First, welcome to the site, Jim!

Second, the reason I made the comment about the CHP is because this thread is in the Virginia forum and was about Virginia's permit.

First of all...people come out here seeking advice...letting people continue using incorrect acronymns or terminology helps nobody. There's a big difference between correcting someone and saying "It's a CHP in VA, you moron..." Secondly...people expect us to be somewhat of experts on the subject matter...and in the same vane as I wouldn't trust the advice of an auto mechanic that didn't use the correct terminology, I wouldn't trust the advice of someone on a gun forum that didn't use the correct terminology. Thirdly....I don't see someone asking if some thread on a different forum answered their question, as "chastising" them...especially since we've had trolls coming out here posting the same question over and over in several different forums, as recently as a few months ago.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by fully_armed_biker View Post
    First of all...people come out here seeking advice...letting people continue using incorrect acronymns or terminology helps nobody. There's a big difference between correcting someone and saying "It's a CHP in VA, you moron..." Secondly...people expect us to be somewhat of experts on the subject matter...and in the same vane as I wouldn't trust the advice of an auto mechanic that didn't use the correct terminology, I wouldn't trust the advice of someone on a gun forum that didn't use the correct terminology. Thirdly....I don't see someone asking if some thread on a different forum answered their question, as "chastising" them...especially since we've had trolls coming out here posting the same question over and over in several different forums, as recently as a few months ago.
    Exactly. Also, there is this.

Words have meaning, convey information, and give rise to both accuracy and inaccuracy. Take for example, the term, assault rifle (or weapon). Probably the majority of the general public believes that anyone can just go to a gun show, pay their money, and walk out with an "assault rifle/weapon". Now any gun enthusiast knows this is absolutely not true. Not only are assault rifles not that easy to come by, they can be very expensive and you have to go through quite a bit to own one. You ain't about to just pick up one in a gun show sale. However, even a fair amount of gun people believe that "assault rifle" is something that is easy to obtain, not that expensive, and no more difficult to get than a handgun or shotgun. This is because they have been brainwashed into believing what the national press, the government, and the anti-gun groups have been pushing since1989. That a semi-auto "ugly" military styled rifle is an assault rifle when in fact, this is complete nonsense and a bold faced lie.

BTW, welcome aboard glock-40.
    Last edited by SouthernBoy; 11-17-2010 at 06:42 PM.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    You ain't a bout to just pick up one in a gun show sale.
    I wish we could. I can already buy at age 18 a firearm that can shoot 9 .33 caliber projectiles with one pull of the trigger, why can't I buy something that shoots the same number of projectiles with one pull of the trigger but one at a time instead of 9 at once?

I'm referring to shotguns of course, which are probably the most common firearm owned in the US.

My name is Jim from NOVA and a relatively long time gun owner but I discovered this forum a few months ago and have been lurking since there is a lot of valuable information here and good people it seems.
    Thank you for introducing yourself, and welcome aboard.
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast