• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

jacket issue - cc to oc with a permit

Snazuolu

now that winter is about here, we are all starting to wear coats(it was in the 60's today though). my question about coats is....say i'm wearing a shoulder holster, vertical, and i have on a coat. I go out to get something to eat, go inside, get a booth. if i take my jacket off, is that legal?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Let's start by presuming that you have your CHP to deal with wearing the shoulder holster under the jacket.

Now, taking off the jacket converts you from CC to OC. Again presuming that the place you chose for dining is not posted, what's the problem?

Yes, changing from CC to OC is legal. Nothing says you must stick with one or the other style of dress/carry.

stay safe.

ocholsteroc

Get a leg holster, or freeze. IMO. Thats what I do, I can not wear a shoulder holster because it will just cover the gun, which is illgeal I do not have a permit. and +1 to skidmark "Now, taking off the jacket converts you from CC to OC. Again presuming that the place you chose for dining is not posted, what's the problem?" in FL it is illgeal to print or OC, here its not. But you can not CC without a CHP. It would be illgeal for person A to CC without a permit, a gun in a shoulder holster into a store/food place, then remove it to OC. He was CCing into the place which was illgeal act. But if person A holds a valid CHP he may CC then remove his coat to OC.

Last edited:

jimd_21

The main reason i have my Idaho CWP and Utah CFP. I carry with a serpa level 2 on the hip, I hate being cold and love a long warm coat to keep me warm and dry. Personally i would never wear a drop leg holster....a little to tacky...mall copish look. just my choice.

Snazuolu

i do have my CWP. i was just wondering if the establishment doesnt have any sign up saying no guns allowed, and i wear a jacket, covering a shoulder holster and a 460, and we are seated and i take my jacket off, i just wanted to make sure that there wasnt any issue as to if you CC, you have to remain CC. ok, so if this is legal, than i can plan on carrying the hand cannons everyday now. :banana:

nova

i just wanted to make sure that there wasnt any issue as to if you CC, you have to remain CC.

nope. nothing to worry about like that (unless you're somewhere where you must cc with permit (no oc) like in your car on K-12 property, etc.)

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Snazalou I and my wife open carry in many of the restaurants all over town and I can only think of a few places that would have any issue with your carrying at all (Buffalo Wild Wings, Shoemaker's, Waterstone Pizza and the place that's over where Rubs used to be near 501 and Fort Avenue (bottom of the hill from Wards headed toward Forest)). Everywhere else should have no issue at all from my experience. If you want to wear a jacket and OC, just get yourself a jacket with a side opening at the waist.

glock-40

then i have my CHP. didnt know there was a difference...bottom line, i can legally carry concealed.

There isn't. The laws of the state don't change simply because you mixed up your alphabet. Who cares what you call it. I see guys get all wadded up over this a lot.

Didn't this thread answer your question already?

I see no problem that you posted to more than one site. I didn't know we had internet police now.

nova

There isn't. The laws of the state don't change simply because you mixed up your alphabet. Who cares what you call it. I see guys get all wadded up over this a lot.
ACTUALLY THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE THAT CAN BE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN LAW ABIDING AND JAIL TIME.

In Virginia we have a Concealed Handgun Permit...good for carrying concealed HANDGUNS and nothing else. Concealed Weapons Permits (what VA used to have actually back in the early 90s before we were shall issue) allow the carrying of concealed weapons...which include handguns, shotguns, rifles, big knives, and all those other goodies mentioned in our concealed weapons law.

So yes, it does matter and there is a big difference.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Originally Posted by ProShooter

I see no problem that you posted to more than one site. I didn't know we had internet police now.

I see no problem with it either. I was simply asking why the thread he posted elsewhere some 12 hours earlier didn't answer his question. I asked because I replied to that earlier thread too. By your comment, now who's being the internet police? Oh and by the way, most people use their first post on a forum to introduce themselves, not make snide comments to other members......thanks for playing though.

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by ProShooter

Oh and by the way, most people use their first post on a forum to introduce themselves, not make snide comments to other members......thanks for playing though.

I agree. Kinda like walking into a neighbor's house for the first time and telling them their taste in furnishings is less than attractive. Great way to ingratiate one's self with the members.

glock-40

I knew all of that was coming.

My name is Jim from NOVA and a relatively long time gun owner but I discovered this forum a few months ago and have been lurking since there is a lot of valuable information here and good people it seems. Unfortunately I see people from time to time both here and on other forums that are ever so anal about correcting others about their licensing acronyms.

nova - regardless of what you call your handgun permit / license or weapons permit (yeah threw that one in there just to turn some screws) you are still subject to the laws of the state you are in - regardless of what state issued your permit (assuming there is reciprocity of course.) If someone moved here from FL and obtained a VA permit but still wants to refer to it as a a CWP, who cares. It is their responsibility to know the laws and limitations of VA - remember that thing we call self-responsibility? If you take your VA permit to visit FL are you saying you can not carry a stun gun or billie because your VA permit doesn't have the word "weapon" on it? I think not. And I think you know this. So let's stop splitting hairs and scolding people over "what it says" and focus on what it means and the jurisdictional boundaries. Being helpful and educational is one thing but I see people cross that line all the time with their muscle flexing look what I know syndrome.

Mr Shooter - you offer a lot of valuable advise to members here. Maybe my posts were a bit snide but that was unintentional. Just calling it the way I see it. I don't see a need to chastise a guy cause he posted on two different forums. Not everyone subscribes to all forums and he was obviously looking to a different community for input. I am not policing since it wasn't I that brought his other post to the spotlight. Thanks for all of your knowledgeable input you provide on the threads.

BTW - Bama is currently trying to fill the internet czar position - so for those interested, when filling out the application just please be sure to get your acronyms right...:banghead: