• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Winter Carry & Ammunition v. Summer Carry & Ammunition

Beretta92FSLady

I never worry about a little drizzle on my carry guns, but if it is truly raining I typically CC.

I think another important question this time of year is what type of ammo people carry. Some people fear that hollow points will penetrate poorly through winter clothing so they switch to round nose or fmj rounds. Its something to discuss in another thread if it hasn't been done already.

I carry 124 gr Gold Dot 9mm. I figure the round is fast enough, it will penetrate the clothing.

I thought I would start this thread, it was a good idea...:p

xxx.jakk.xxx

I'm close to the 1year anniversary of the purchase of my sidearm, so I am still not as knowledgeable as I should be. I honestly hadn't put any extra thought into my ammo other than that my JHP have more knockdown than my FMJs. I usually save the FMJ for target shooting since they're much cheaper. Currently I'm using some Federal JHP. Sadly I can't remember the specifics on them and I don't have the box anymore.

Should I switch during winter or do Hollow Points work well in Summer and Winter?

Last edited:

joeroket

I'm close to the 1year anniversary of the purchase of my sidearm, so I am still not as knowledgeable as I should be. I honestly hadn't put any extra thought into my ammo other than that my JHP have more knockdown than my FMJs. I usually save the FMJ for target shooting since they're much cheaper. Currently I'm using some Federal JHP. Sadly I can't remember the specifics on them and I don't have the box anymore.

Should I switch during winter or do Hollow Points work well in Summer and Winter?

Well I do not worry about it much. The theory is that hollow points will start expanding before it reaches th body in heavy clothing, especially in down filled coats, and there will not be enough penetration to stop the attacker. Personally I don't think it is a big enough issue to have different ammo for winter than I do for summer.

Last edited:

xxx.jakk.xxx

Well I do not worry about it much. The theory is that hollow points will start expanding before it reaches th body in heavy clothing, especially in down filled coats. Personally I don't think it is a big enough issue to have different ammo for winter than I do for summer.

It seems that the clothing would start the expansion early causing the projectile to just make a larger entrance wound in the target. I don't think that the clothing would stop it, so it would still do the job, just a bit messier. That's one of my fears of kevlar if I ever have to wear it. The kevlar starts the expansion of the bullet early causing the already expanded bullet to enter you causing more trauma than having a not-expanded bullet.

... At least that's what I have heard. I have no true ballistic training that would back this theory up.

sultan62

IMO it's a good idea to carry a spare mag. For this purpose, I carry hollowpoints and FMJ. With a .45, I'm really not worried about over penetration.

Jayd1981

Kevlar has an easier time stopping JHP's vs FMJ's. The wider the bullet, the more fibers it will cover thus be stopped easier. The way Kevlar works is by spreading the impact over as much of an area as possible. Interestingly pretty much any legal rifle hunting round here will penetrate a kevlar vest. I laugh every time I hear about so called "cop killer" bullets.

Last edited:

Ruby

I have Speer Good Dot 124 gr jhp for my 9 mil and Double Tap 200gr jhp for my .45. Both are bonded bullets, the jacket does not separate from the bullet. I carry the same defense ammo year round and I always carry 2 extra mags. I usually carry the 1911. I am not worried about under penetration with a 200 gr bullet moving at 1125 fps.

Deleted_User

I have yet to change since buying my Federal 147gr Hydra Shok hollow points for my 9mm. I don't foresee any ammo issues if i need to use them. They'll penetrate, but the prayer is I never need to find out.

o2ryan

I am sure there will be argument about this, but I actually load every third round of my 9mm with fmj so that I will have a more penetrating round in cases of having to penatrate light cover. This also helps a box of jhp last a little longer.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Deleted_User

I am sure there will be argument about this, but I actually load every third round of my 9mm with fmj so that I will have a more penetrating round in cases of having to penatrate light cover. This also helps a box of jhp last a little longer.

WOW ...... This actually makes sense. I've never thought of mixing my rounds, ever!

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran

The last 3 or so of my magazines I have started to put in FMJ. I figure if the BG is still advancing then they are needed.

Ruby

To each their own; I will not use fmj for defense, I don't want the possibility (strong probability) of over penetration. I know, I know, jhps can over penetrate too but much more likely with fmjs. Don't want it to go through the perp and hit an innocent. Not arguing, just sayin'.

amzbrady

I was told a long time ago by an old timer, that you should rotate your ammo out, in humid conditions, unless your primer is sealed. That should be the only worry in Washington with the always lingering mist, and soaked conditions.

I seriously doubt a down coat is going to stop a 9mm hollow point. I dont think you have to worry about it becoming the common winter kevlar for your ordinary everyday thug.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZMgyqWgW7M

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Summer carry = frangible in 1st mag .45acp; 2 extra mags Corbon DPX.

Winter carry = all DPX

unknownsailor

I wouldn't worry about ammo that much, other than how much it costs to replace it as I practice with my carry piece.
Carry as much gun as you can control, use a quality hollow point, and practice so you can get good hits when it counts, and the rest will take care of itself.

Leatherneck

This is what I carry year round, and will solve the clothing problem. I will only use FMJ at the range (cheap), and in the war zone (Geneva Convention).
http://www.hornady.com/store/9mm-Luger-115-gr-Critical-Defense

That's some good info! I've been meaning to get another box soon. May have to go with these.

One question I have:
In the video he says that they are designed for short barrel type carry pieces. There shouldn't be a problem using these in the standard 4.5" or 5" barrel, right?

Last edited: