• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Missouri legislating against OC?

Big Boy

Ok, so my girlfriend said that her dad said (yeah...like that...) that he saw a news segment on OC, and about Missouri working to write laws against Open Carry.

Now, my girlfriend can get things rather mixed sometimes, and as I am trying to get more details as to what network it was on and if it was talking about State or Municipal legislation, these are most likely all the details I'll be left with.

I would have figured if this were anywhere near true, at least one of us would have heard about it.

Any insight?

heresyourdipstickjimmy

I have yet to see anything to that regard on the General Assembly website and I used "carry" as the keyword. I checked the 2010 general session, the 2010 special session, and the 2011 general session.

However, I did find something that may interest some folks here in Missouri regarding the DOR. Apparently, someone in our legislature thought it would be a good idea for the DOR to be able to appoint their own LEOs and allow DOR investigators to carry firearms.

Granted, it died back in February, but we might have to be on the lookout for this in the future as it clearly isn't a good bill at all.

http://www.house.mo.gov/billsummary.aspx?bill=SB964&year=2010&code=R

If I am not mistaken the daddy of that bill got his a$$ kicked in the Nov 2 election. Republican Brown kicked Democrat Barnitz a$$ for him.

Last edited:

There has been talk from the anti-gun crowd in the state on the issue but I have never seen any actual legislation being proposed.

If state wide pre-emption on OC isn't passed this year to protect open carry state wide the anti's will pounce on the first sign of weakness and that failure would the be the first sign I think.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
If state wide pre-emption on OC isn't passed this year to protect open carry state wide the anti's will pounce on the first sign of weakness and that failure would the be the first sign I think.
I don't think we are at such a critical juncture. Two years ago 2A movement got nothin'. Last year we got a few things. According to the NRA maps we will have more 2A legislators over the next 2 years and a governor who, while he hasn't always fought FOR 2A rights, he historically doesn't stand in the way of them either. Heck,while AG, his office was one of the most aggressive in the nation pursuing reciprocity. While a lot of that sits on the diligence of the assistant assigned, he appointed the man and he didn't get in his way.

Anti-gunners in MO seem to consist primarily of a handful of rather wealthy people from areas around Branson, Columbia and St. Louis. People in this state (and country) are in no mood to be told by urban liberals and wealthy elites what is good for them. So I don't think the opposition primarily lies there although there will be some potent wealthy forces against us in Branson, Columbia and St. Louis.

I live in SE MO where the newspaper somewhat recently wrote that a huge percentage of households have firearms (IIRC it was over 80%), where firearm ownership is just normal. Off the top of my head I could name a dozen people I know professionally who hunt, shoot, conceal carry regularly AND are definitely opposed to OC and furthermore, support the City of Cape Girardeau's ordinance prohibiting it. I heard most of these anti-OC sentiments when putting out some feelers about trying to get the ordinance repealed. These are the people who make my state rep and senators squishy on the idea while they are strong supporters of CC.

So, while I would love to see OC pre-emption in the state and I will certainly work towards those ends, I don't think that we are at some critical juncture where it is next year or never. Then again, I've been busy with other things for several months and you may be aware of something I am not.