• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texas NBC 56 News - Open carry laws...coming to Texas?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://www.ketknbc.com/regional/open-carry-lawscoming-to-texas w/ video report

SNIP

. . .

Now, in Texas, there a couple of ways you can carry a pistol. You can now carry it in your car. Or, if you have a license, you can carry it concealed on your person. But what if you could carry it out in the open?

John Pierce founded OpenCarry.org, and from him we found out an interesting and little known fact…

There are 43 of the 50 states where open carry is permissible in one form or another.

. . .

Pierce says that Governor Rick Perry has promised to sign an open carry bill if it lands on his desk.

He says though that although some legislators are friendly to the idea, no one has stepped forward to propose the bill.

Navy Desert Doc

Technically, yeah, if you are "traveling" 46.02 doesn't apply. Run across the wrong cop and you will go to the slammer anyway.

It doesn't even have to be the "wrong" cop. The law is so open for interpretation that it would be difficult for ANY cop (I know because I was one in Texas) on the street to make the correct call 100% of the time to 100% of the people. The wording needs to be more clear because you really need to bounce between 46.02, 46.03 and 46.15 to truly gather the INTENT of the law...which is what law is based on.

KBCraig

It doesn't even have to be the "wrong" cop. The law is so open for interpretation that it would be difficult for ANY cop (I know because I was one in Texas) on the street to make the correct call 100% of the time to 100% of the people. The wording needs to be more clear because you really need to bounce between 46.02, 46.03 and 46.15 to truly gather the INTENT of the law...which is what law is based on.

Glad to have you here. I've got a couple of "Desert Docs" in the big sandbox, namely my son and his wife, both Army combat medics serving with an armored cavalry unit.

I appreciate your view, but I disagree about the complexity. It's really pretty simple, except for certain prohibited locations.

Navy Desert Doc

Glad to have you here. I've got a couple of "Desert Docs" in the big sandbox, namely my son and his wife, both Army combat medics serving with an armored cavalry unit.

I appreciate your view, but I disagree about the complexity. It's really pretty simple, except for certain prohibited locations.

Glad to be here and thanks for the warm welcome. My best to your Son and Daughter-in-Law. Hopefully they'll be home soon.

We absolutely want the law to be simple, as it should be. However, America has the best lawyers around and if there is wiggle room anywhere they'll exploit it and it's then you hope your lawyer is craftier than the State Prosecutor!