• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anti-gun bank teller encounter and the $1000 bet

greengum

Like the story. The bet idea was a good put up or shut up technique especially being obvious to her you had the money readily available. I have carried in the Pahrump BofA many times no problems. Get a few looks from some of the customers. Pahrump is not a good example; see open carry a few times a week. Counting myself three open carry firearms at the same time during a quick trip to Smith’s.
Maybe a year ago, I was in a Bofa in Las Vegas located in a store. The rent-a-cop saw me in line watch me as if I was nicest looking guy he ever saw. As I moved up to the teller, he follows me and stood right behind me. I was thinking he really liked what he saw. My heart was broken when I realized he was worry about me carrying. I got over it quickly after more than 30 years my wife still likes me.

hahahahaha

greengum

Update

I got a call from Russ yesterday. He has worked their for 30 years and is in charge of security here in Vegas. I told him what had happened and he was cringing on the phone when I told him about her law skills. He said the official corporate position is to "prefer" customers not openly carry. A teller should NEVER mention the firearm especially in a negative light and to also refrain from passing off any opinions as fact or law, or to engage in politically hot topics while other customers are in line. If a teller has any concerns she should call security AFTER the customer has finished his business, to discuss any legal matters. Russ was very helpful. He stated he was pro gun and apologized for the tellers actions.

After work I went to the store to grab some food and walked by the bank and figured I would engage her in conversation again. :) I told her I had spoken with Russ but did not mention any names. She said she knew Russ and he was a cool guy. She said she would not have cared if I said her name because she KNEW she did nothing wrong! Christ on a stick, this chick "KNOWS" a lot of things! Anyways I started reading from their handbook about not engaging in political talk or matters of law to customers. She started getting a little pissed off and defensive at this point. She then said "well I know it is corporate policy to help customers even if they have a gun, but I have the right to refuse service if I am uncomfortable and make you wait for another teller!" /facepalm

I come along these types of people all the time. The God complex mentality of "I AM NEVER WRONG!" I could push the issue even more and maybe get her fired or at least written up. I won't do that for a couple reasons. I think she has learned her lesson and won't be saying anything to an OC'er in the future and the other reason is now she has to see me OC every time I get groceries and do some banking!!

On a side not I just realized I mentioned Christ and God on 1 post!! WTF I'm athiest!!

ManInBlack

She then said "well I know it is corporate policy to help customers even if they have a gun, but I have the right to refuse service if I am uncomfortable and make you wait for another teller!" /facepalm

Wow, just wow. That woman would have been fired yesterday if she were my employee.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Just to add a little to this...

The Analogy that if the bank is insured by FDIC the bank is a federal property THEN

Since my cars and house are insured by State Farm then State Farm OWNS THEM?

Nope, sorry, it just doesn't fly!

rickc1962

Nearly the same thing was told to me by Wells Fargo. When I pressed the issue they folded. There is a thread on here from me a year or so back explaining it. When I called corp then I explained how it was not against the law to OC but the teller making false statements as fact might be.

How bout that! I open carry at both branches of wells fargo here in Lake Havasu and never a problem, they love my business, I have even gotten business cards to pass out to my gun owning frainds, I`m glad you called her on it.

MKEgal

"If this facility is so safe, why are YOU here?"

I made a similar reply to a grocery store manager who tried to tell me his store was safe because they had security guards. (Not armed guards, mind you, but the ones that sit in their marked car all the time, occasionally driving around the parking lot.) I don't shop there.

sultan62

I would file a formal complaint with the branch manager, detailing exactly what has happened over time. If you do personal and commercial business there, they may end up seriously reprimanding or firing her.

chrsjhnsn

no, please don't get her fired. the obummer economy is bad enough-she will forever hate gunnies if she gets fired.
She's just one of the billions out there who cant admit she was wrong, or just not bright enough to understand law.
I think living well is the best revenge, I would try to have her be my teller all the time.

crzyjarmans

agree

no, please don't get her fired. the obummer economy is bad enough-she will forever hate gunnies if she gets fired.
She's just one of the billions out there who cant admit she was wrong, or just not bright enough to understand law.
I think living well is the best revenge, I would try to have her be my teller all the time.
thinks that a great idea also,maybe the more and more she deals with you,she'll learn that not all gun owners are bad people

odesskiy

Let's face it, bank tellers are only a step above McDonalds burgerflippers. It's an ok job for college kids, but when I see cranky middle-aged women working as bank tellers, I immediately start questioning the possibility of their IQ reaching into triple digits.

Gordie

Let's face it, bank tellers are only a step above McDonalds burgerflippers. It's an ok job for college kids, but when I see cranky middle-aged women working as bank tellers, I immediately start questioning the possibility of their IQ reaching into triple digits.

When I see someone make a statement like this about a widely diverse group of people, it makes me ask the same question about them.

Nevada carrier

When I see someone make a statement like this about a widely diverse group of people, it makes me ask the same question about them.

I was going to comment on the same as well, but I figure Odesskiy did a pretty good job making himself sound like an idiot, He didn't need further encouragement. I guess he doesn't realize that everyone can't make a career out of saving the world, some have to settle for an ordinary hard working life. There is nothing dishonorable about being a bank teller, that job may be what gets a family health insurance and a college fund for their children. Never judge someone based on what they do for a living, it tends not to be an accurate indication of their character.

rickc1962

I was going to comment on the same as well, but I figure Odesskiy did a pretty good job making himself sound like an idiot, He didn't need further encouragement. I guess he doesn't realize that everyone can't make a career out of saving the world, some have to settle for an ordinary hard working life. There is nothing dishonorable about being a bank teller, that job may be what gets a family health insurance and a college fund for their children. Never judge someone based on what they do for a living, it tends not to be an accurate indication of their character.

+1

trippje

I am really enjoying this forum. I am new to Nevada and I haven't open carried yet but I plan too soon. I honestly didn't know that you could carry a gun into a bank. I'm glad that I know better now. I just moved here and I am looking forward to being able to carry my .45 again. My wife and I just spent the last seven years living in Germany where they have very restrictive gun laws. I have been reading as much as I can on this forum trying to educate myself before I go out openly carrying my gun. I want to thank everyone for all the great information on this forum.

hermannr

Don't worry about OC into a bank. The BGs all conceal, and the bank wants YOUR money...

There is one small bank in Gresham, Oregon that has actually posted a sign "your legally carried firearm is welcome here" There is another in Chappel Hill, TX that has a sign welcoming licensed CC. (there is no OC in TX)

Some banks have realized that allowing guns in their bank is a good thing, not a bad thing. If I rememebr correctly Wells Fargo and BoA do too, they just do not advertize it.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
I'm ok when I bank with Wells Fargo, Bank of America and Nevada Federal Credit Union, though the latter has a sign "no firearms, no hats, no sunglasses". When I went in OC, the gun was OK but they did ask me to remove my sunglasses. :)

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... If I rememebr correctly Wells Fargo and BoA do too, they just do not advertize it.

I've been a member of Wells Fargo since three name-changes ago. I can't even remember what they were before NorWest Bank, but it was shortly after they became NorWest Bank that the "No Guns" signs went up. I closed all my accounts and told them why. A couple years later, they were bought out by Wells Fargo, and the signs came down. I reopened my old accounts and have been banking there ever since.

My business accounts are at Chase Bank. They not only allow firearms, but the branch manager has personally expressed an interest in getting his CCW through me. I should cultivate that, not for me, but for him and the betterment of banks everywhere.

Last edited: