• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anti-gun bank teller encounter and the $1000 bet

greengum

Kind of a long read but I like to be as accurate as I can be. I hope you enjoy.

I have been going to the same branch of US bank here in Henderson for about a year now. I know all the tellers there pretty well. I have a business account with them along with a personal account. One of the tellers there (lets call her Jane) has made some comments in the past about me open carrying. Things along the lines of "I didn't know you could go into a bank with a gun". I'm old school when it comes to banking, especially with the business account and I go to the bank about twice a week (yes I know I should do it online but I like a paper trail). She is the only one who has ever come off somewhat negative about be OC'ing.

A few days ago I showed up with some checks to deposit and got Jane as my teller. She informed me that they would be having some big wigs in next week for a bank wide audit and that I will be asked to not OC in there because I am breaking federal law since all banks are considered federal land since they are FDIC insured.I asked if she was certain about that to which she replied "yes I know for a fact that it is against the law"..um it took me about 30 seconds to wrap my head around what she had just said.

I try very hard to be polite and mellow when I OC but what she said really hit a nerve for some reason. So this is how I responded. I asked her to pull up my account to take out $1000.00 and for her to take $1000.00 from her account. I then said that we would go to the DA's office or to the police station the next day and if she or any government agency or worker could point to a law on the books stating that OC'ing in a private bank was in and of itself illegal I would give her the $1000.00 if not I would get her $1000.00.

She paused for a second clearly flustered at my offer and said she declined. She then stated that well maybe it wasn't against any law but it was without a doubt corporate policy. I then asked her if she had a copy of the corporate policy in the bank. She said she didn't.

The next day when i got to work I did some searching trying to get in writing where US bank stands on the issue. After a few phone calls I had a customer service rep tell me that it was against the law in the state of Nevada to enter a bank with a gun.. /facepalm. I then asked if he could confirm corporate policy on the issue. After a few minutes on hold he returned to say that i could not OC because of security issues. I asked if he could fax or email this to me along with him name and signature. He declined but promised to have someone call me in the next couple days.

My father went to the bank tonight to transfer my sister some cash for college and Jane was working. He informed her I was trying to get a hold of corporate to confirm her statements. He was kinda making a scene about it laughing with the other tellers asking them if they knew what their policy was. She backed down again telling him that it was not their policy but her personal opinion because she had seen a customer in line shoot another customer before and it was such a traumatic experience for her that she believes nobody should ever go into a bank with a firearm.

Maybe I should have handled it a little nicer but like I said before, when someone tells you that you cannot exercise your fundamental inalienable Rights, I tend to get a little pissed off. I mean, what if she had said I could not wear a cross around my neck, or a t-shirt with a political statement on it? Anyways just another random OC encounter for you guys to read.

Remmy

enjoyed the story green and good to see you post again as well. Im not sure if you handled the situation wrong or not I would go with the latter, when talking to someone that is either anti or just okay with the false sense of security gun free-zones offer theres just no way to talk to them logically. I find it hilarious that you called her out on every statement and eventually she said no it was her personal opinion. if i was a more cynical man id file a complaint to corp that employees are now passing personal opinions off as corporate policy.

keep up the good fight

ManInBlack

She backed down again telling him that it was not their policy but her personal opinion because she had seen a customer in line shoot another customer before and it was such a traumatic experience for her that she believes nobody should ever go into a bank with a firearm.

Sounds like some of the "fish tales" I've heard, except that those were far more believable.

greengum

Sounds like some of the "fish tales" I've heard, except that those were far more believable.

LOL Yeah I spend my time making up stories to post on here!! If you would like to confirm call up the branch located on Eastern and Windmill in the Smith's grocery store and ask to speak with the manager and ask about someone who OC's and ask about it. Or you could PM me your phone number and I will meet you at that branch and you can ask for yourself. Better yet would you like to wager $1000.00 dollars on it? I could go video tape and "interview" branch workers who were present when I did this with you there as a witness then post the video on youtube then link it on these forums. What would be suitable for you?

Nevada carrier

when people talk out of their ***, it's important that we hold their feet to the fire. challenging someone to put their money where their mouth is was a great idea.

Btw... FDIC = all banks are on Federal land? I've never laughed so hard in my life. If I owned a business and an employee tried to pass off opinion as fact, risking my customers loyalty in the process, they would be looking through the help wanted adds quicker than they could say, "unemployment."

ManInBlack

LOL Yeah I spend my time making up stories to post on here!! If you would like to confirm call up the branch located on Eastern and Windmill in the Smith's grocery store and ask to speak with the manager and ask about someone who OC's and ask about it. Or you could PM me your phone number and I will meet you at that branch and you can ask for yourself. Better yet would you like to wager $1000.00 dollars on it? I could go video tape and "interview" branch workers who were present when I did this with you there as a witness then post the video on youtube then link it on these forums. What would be suitable for you?

Settle down, Suzie; don't get your panties in a bunch. I was commenting on the bank teller and her obviously false statement (Only after her embarrassment does this mythical tale arise? C'mon.), not you.

Last edited:

greengum

Settle down, Suzie; don't get your panties in a bunch. I was commenting on the bank teller and her obviously false statement (Only after her embarrassment does this mythical tale arise? C'mon.), not you.

I apologies then. Some people tend to troll here from time to time and maybe I was a little too defensive. :)

Vegassteve

Nearly the same thing was told to me by Wells Fargo. When I pressed the issue they folded. There is a thread on here from me a year or so back explaining it. When I called corp then I explained how it was not against the law to OC but the teller making false statements as fact might be.

Nevada carrier

I've been getting mixed results at my local B of A, Trop and Decatur. Once, I went to use the walk up ATM and their armed security asked if I would mind putting it in my backpack or cover it with my shirt, which I refused to do because I don't have a CCW, I used the ATM with security keeping a close eye on me and left. On the second encounter, I entered the bank, went through the queue and did my business, but a different armed security guard simply kept an eye on me from just inside the door. on my last visit, as I was walking from my car to the door, the armed guard, a different guy yet again, stopped me and told me I couldn't carry a firearm inside. I told him I've never been turned away before, and asked if he would summon the branch manager so i could speak with them. he went inside, and about 5 minutes later he came back out alone and told me i was okay to go in.

After my last attempt, the guard approached me again and asked why it was so important to carry that I wouldn't just leave it in the car. I said, "if this branch is so dangerous that the tellers need to be shielded bullet proof glass, I wasn't about to be defenseless on the outside of it." To that he said "I guess that's a good point," and he wished me a good day.

My bank has probably been the only place where I can tell people are visibly nervous because of my firearm, but the key is to be polite, positive, mature and professional; as if being armed is just a part of your identity. after people hear you speak in a respectful and professional tone, they feel much more at ease.

COMMANDER1911

My Bank of America is right in the middle of Crip territory, so damn right i'm carrying in there. I actually had a tellr esay that she felt more comfortable with me in there.

Contrarian

bank guard

"After my last attempt, the guard approached me again and asked why it was so important to carry that I wouldn't just leave it in the car. I said, "if this branch is so dangerous that the tellers need to be shielded bullet proof glass, I wasn't about to be defenseless on the outside of it." To that he said "I guess that's a good point," and he wished me a good day."

A similar response is "If this facility is so safe, why are YOU here?"

crzyjarmans

great story

I also bank with us bank,usually at cary and rancho,thankfully never have had any question about my weapon,nice call on her remark about policy,

PoliceState

why would you say he was lieing ? do you know something the rest don t? if not keep your comments to your self unless they are helpful or good. im sure your mommy said if you got nothing good to say then say nothing.

Buzzkill144

Hi All,

I bank at the Chase on Maryland and Sahara. Always OC there without a problem.

And StarBucks at Paradise and Sahara is Great about it.:banana:

Last edited:

KBCraig

Ain't it funny how, when pressed on the facts, they go from being absolutely certain it's against federal law, to admitting it's just a personal bias?

28kfps

Like the story. The bet idea was a good put up or shut up technique especially being obvious to her you had the money readily available. I have carried in the Pahrump BofA many times no problems. Get a few looks from some of the customers. Pahrump is not a good example; see open carry a few times a week. Counting myself three open carry firearms at the same time during a quick trip to Smith’s.
Maybe a year ago, I was in a Bofa in Las Vegas located in a store. The rent-a-cop saw me in line watch me as if I was nicest looking guy he ever saw. As I moved up to the teller, he follows me and stood right behind me. I was thinking he really liked what he saw. My heart was broken when I realized he was worry about me carrying. I got over it quickly after more than 30 years my wife still likes me.