Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glocks just aren't my thing...

Arrow Glocks just aren't my thing...

This is a tabletop review of my friends Glock 21 in 45 calibre.
    completely standard spec and is his sons weapon.
    After the review ends I take it down to the range to put some rounds through her at the metal discs of justice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OteQzMtDyU

However at the end of the day, I have to reiterate, this gun is not something I groove to...

Glocks have a different grip angle from the Springfield XD/XDm line (closer to a 1911). You might want to try one of those if you want a polymer pistol. I tried a Glock (G17), but prefer the grip angle of the XD. I haven't tried shooting my pistols at 50 yards yet. Should be interesting when/if I get a chance to do it.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Firstly, there is no such thing as a perfect gun; pistol, revolver or otherwise. All handguns have their unique characteristics and anomalies and of course, there is the human element to consider. However, we can generally be comfortable with a consensus of opinion and draw valid arguments from that position as to what is good, what is not so good, what works, and what has a history of problems and concerns.

That being said to many people the XD, and even better the M&P, have a better grip feeling to them that does the Glock. But the Glock has a few things in its favor over either one of these entries. So once a quality piece has been selected, it really comes down to what is best for a given individual; their wants and needs, and their perceptions of the gun and its place in their everyday life.

The one thing the Glock does have strongly in its favor is the reliability factor. One cannot discount this extremely important fact. As for the XD or the M&P, I have both in .40S&W and between the two, I like the M&P better and have carried it on occasion. Still, 99 times out of a hundred (no exaggeration) when I walk out my door, it's my primary carry 3G Glock 23 that rides on my belt. When all is said and done and all of the variables and factors have been considered for my purposes, this gun seems to suit my needs best.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Banned
    I don't like glocks either, but they are cheap and it is easy to find holsters and other parts for them.

G32 with 9mm conversion threaded barrel and G36 with threaded barrel.
    Last edited by kwikrnu; 11-16-2010 at 09:13 PM.

I agree with the points made by Southern Boy. For me, the peace of mind that comes along with a tried, tested, and true Glock's design reliability just cannot be ignored. When I pull the trigger, it goes bang....every time. I have heard some who like the grip of the XD or M&P better, but I absolutely hate the trigger pull of either of these guns. Not to mention, you'll never have any trouble finding any accessory imaginable.

Having said all that, I carry my Glock because I'm confident with it. That does not necessarily mean that it would be the right choice for everyone just because it is for me. I look at it kind of like the "almighty caliber debate." Which is the best? Well, I'd say the one you hit your target with consistently. If you shoot better with another gun than a Glock and you feel it is reliable, that's the gun you should carry.

I know if I drop my Glock into a mud puddle during an altercation and manage to retrieve it, it will still have no problem emptying the magazine. It hits exactly where I aim and it always chambers-- those are the two most important factors for me. Glocks are by far not the most expensive gun one could carry and I am certainly not a gun snob. If Glock is not the right choice for you, then you should certainly not carry one. I don't care what kind of gun is in your holster. As long as you have tested it and find it to be reliable and accurrate, I support whatever choice you make completely.
    I love my country; I fear my government

Quote Originally Posted by kwikrnu View Post
    G32 with 9mm conversion threaded barrel and G36 with threaded barrel.

Where the heck did you find a threaded barrel for a Glock 36? I have a 36, and I can't even find after-market sights for it, let alone an extended, threaded barrel...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Where the heck did you find a threaded barrel for a Glock 36? I have a 36, and I can't even find after-market sights for it, let alone an extended, threaded barrel...
    I'm kwikrnu.

threaded barrel for a glock 36? easy

http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip...ls/?mode=image

http://www.ar15products.net/itm01523.htm

all it takes to find anything for any glock is an idiot with the internet.

I'm a Glock shooter and you won't find a 21 in my stable. I went with the XD45 compact because it fit my hands better than the Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by Daylen View Post
    threaded barrel for a glock 36? easy

http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip...ls/?mode=image

http://www.ar15products.net/itm01523.htm

all it takes to find anything for any glock is an idiot with the internet.
    Thanks for this website, I ordered a Stainless Guide Rod for my Glock 23C And they have a bunch of other cool stuff I want like that magic laser bullet which will have to wait a bit.

Get rid of that nickel plated sissy pistol an' get yourself a Glock.
    This site has been hijacked by leftists who attack opposition to further their own ends. Those who have never served this country and attack those who do are no longer worthy of my time or attention.

Quote Originally Posted by kwikrnu View Post
    I'm kwikrnu.
    [looks about furtively, snickers]

Why aren't the thread protectors orange?

Sorry, I couldn't help it...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ixtow View Post
    [looks about furtively, snickers]

Why aren't the thread protectors orange?

Sorry, I couldn't help it...
    Because I choose not to paint them.

All Glocks are awesome!

Contrary to popular belief, you do not have to like Glocks. What ever works and feels good in your hand.
    Also there are other guns as reliable as a Glock.

XD Torture test
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

I've fired several different models of Glocks in several calibers.

Not a fan, as there's simply not enough mass to them for both solid feel and control.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by VAopencarry View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, you do not have to like Glocks. What ever works and feels good in your hand.
    Also there are other guns as reliable as a Glock.

XD Torture test
    I've never seen an XD in 10mm. I'm sure they exist somewhere. But without seeing what they really sell for in real-life, how do we compare ballistic tupperrware 1 with ballistic tupperware 2? Have you any information?

mattwestm
    Quote Originally Posted by ixtow View Post
    I've never seen an XD in 10mm. I'm sure they exist somewhere. But without seeing what they really sell for in real-life, how do we compare ballistic tupperrware 1 with ballistic tupperware 2? Have you any information?
    No XD in 10mm yet. Just 9mm, 40, .357Sig, 45, and 45GAP. I would definitely buy a 10mm XD for my first 10mm handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    I've fired several different models of Glocks in several calibers.

Not a fan, as there's simply not enough mass to them for both solid feel and control.
    That and simply they have a cult like following due to Hollywood and tv shows. I have owed several Glocks and never had an issue with them. With that being said, there are better products out there that your not just paying for the name. It could be said that the 1911 has its own cult following, but you cant compare the two for so many reasons. IT is not a valid comparison period.
    Last edited by zack991; 12-23-2010 at 04:49 PM.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

they aren't my thing either.

that being said,they are still an excellent firearm.they are just miserably uncomfortable.I find the XD a lot more comfortable but own neither.

coolfrmn
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz-tronic View Post
    This is a tabletop review of my friends Glock 21 in 45 calibre.
    completely standard spec and is his sons weapon.
    After the review ends I take it down to the range to put some rounds through her at the metal discs of justice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OteQzMtDyU

However at the end of the day, I have to reiterate, this gun is not something I groove to...
    What blaspheme do you speak of??!!! "Glocks just aren't my thing..."

With all do seriousness. I'm a Huge Glock fan since 1996, at least. Price, simplicity & durability. LOVE THEM!!!!

But,.... My father & middle brother love their Springfield Armory XDM & XDs. After a full day of firing them, I grew to like. I enjoyed every minute. They are accurate as hell. Especially the XDM with it's match barrell straight from the factory. Great fit to my hand & good point & shoot design. If I EVER decided to buy other than Glock, It would be the Springfield Armory XD or XDM.

SSSHHHH.. Don't tell anyone I said so. Let that be just between us.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    Firstly, there is no such thing as a perfect gun;
    Those of us who own HK P7's would disagree, but, hey, that is just us.

I like my Glcok 30 but I still do like the 1911 and will pickup one when I get the chance. When I was in the Army I was on a combat pistol team with the 1911. Straight from the arms room.

Quote Originally Posted by heresyourdipstickjimmy View Post
    I'm a Glock shooter and you won't find a 21 in my stable. I went with the XD45 compact because it fit my hands better than the Glock.
    You can either pay someone to slim it down, or you can do it yourself. The most popular source is probably Robar. A polymer composite mix can be dumped into the idiotically hulking backstrap, then it gets trimmed to whatever size you want. In my hands, a happy medium between Glock and XD would be the best fit.

I agree that the size of the 20/21 frame is moronic, but the fact remains that no one else wants to mass manufacture affordable 10mm double stack handguns that function as reliably as a hammer.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

I have both a Glock 20 10mm and a Sig Sauer P220. I love each one for their respective roles. The Glock 20 is a perfect open carry weapon While the grip is pretty big, I have no problem with it. I am considering a Glock 21 SF (short frame) model since those have better grips.

Now in my opinion, the Sig P220 is the best 'out of the box' self defense .45 you can get; however, parts—like the weapon—are expensive. Conversely, the Glock 20—with Double Tap ammo—is like having 15 rounds of .357 magnum on your hip—making it a great hike gun.

Realistically, I will probably just stay with the Sig P220 and Glock 20... and replace the Sig with the Glock 21SF when it's worn—probably when rail/particle pistols are commonplace That Sig will probably still be functioning the day they put me in the retirement home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast