• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glocks just aren't my thing...

Buzz-tronic

This is a tabletop review of my friends Glock 21 in 45 calibre.
completely standard spec and is his sons weapon.
After the review ends I take it down to the range to put some rounds through her at the metal discs of justice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OteQzMtDyU

However at the end of the day, I have to reiterate, this gun is not something I groove to...

jsimmons

Glocks have a different grip angle from the Springfield XD/XDm line (closer to a 1911). You might want to try one of those if you want a polymer pistol. I tried a Glock (G17), but prefer the grip angle of the XD. I haven't tried shooting my pistols at 50 yards yet. Should be interesting when/if I get a chance to do it.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Firstly, there is no such thing as a perfect gun; pistol, revolver or otherwise. All handguns have their unique characteristics and anomalies and of course, there is the human element to consider. However, we can generally be comfortable with a consensus of opinion and draw valid arguments from that position as to what is good, what is not so good, what works, and what has a history of problems and concerns.

That being said to many people the XD, and even better the M&P, have a better grip feeling to them that does the Glock. But the Glock has a few things in its favor over either one of these entries. So once a quality piece has been selected, it really comes down to what is best for a given individual; their wants and needs, and their perceptions of the gun and its place in their everyday life.

The one thing the Glock does have strongly in its favor is the reliability factor. One cannot discount this extremely important fact. As for the XD or the M&P, I have both in .40S&W and between the two, I like the M&P better and have carried it on occasion. Still, 99 times out of a hundred (no exaggeration) when I walk out my door, it's my primary carry 3G Glock 23 that rides on my belt. When all is said and done and all of the variables and factors have been considered for my purposes, this gun seems to suit my needs best.

kwikrnu

Banned
I don't like glocks either, but they are cheap and it is easy to find holsters and other parts for them.

threadedglocks.jpg

G32 with 9mm conversion threaded barrel and G36 with threaded barrel.

Last edited:

Armed and Harmless

I agree with the points made by Southern Boy. For me, the peace of mind that comes along with a tried, tested, and true Glock's design reliability just cannot be ignored. When I pull the trigger, it goes bang....every time. I have heard some who like the grip of the XD or M&P better, but I absolutely hate the trigger pull of either of these guns. Not to mention, you'll never have any trouble finding any accessory imaginable.

Having said all that, I carry my Glock because I'm confident with it. That does not necessarily mean that it would be the right choice for everyone just because it is for me. I look at it kind of like the "almighty caliber debate." Which is the best? Well, I'd say the one you hit your target with consistently. If you shoot better with another gun than a Glock and you feel it is reliable, that's the gun you should carry.

I know if I drop my Glock into a mud puddle during an altercation and manage to retrieve it, it will still have no problem emptying the magazine. It hits exactly where I aim and it always chambers-- those are the two most important factors for me. Glocks are by far not the most expensive gun one could carry and I am certainly not a gun snob. If Glock is not the right choice for you, then you should certainly not carry one. I don't care what kind of gun is in your holster. As long as you have tested it and find it to be reliable and accurrate, I support whatever choice you make completely.

Dreamer

G32 with 9mm conversion threaded barrel and G36 with threaded barrel.

Where the heck did you find a threaded barrel for a Glock 36? I have a 36, and I can't even find after-market sights for it, let alone an extended, threaded barrel...

heresyourdipstickjimmy

I'm a Glock shooter and you won't find a 21 in my stable. I went with the XD45 compact because it fit my hands better than the Glock.

strife1013

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Contrary to popular belief, you do not have to like Glocks. What ever works and feels good in your hand.
Also there are other guns as reliable as a Glock.

XD Torture test

I've never seen an XD in 10mm. I'm sure they exist somewhere. But without seeing what they really sell for in real-life, how do we compare ballistic tupperrware 1 with ballistic tupperware 2? Have you any information?

M

mattwestm

I've never seen an XD in 10mm. I'm sure they exist somewhere. But without seeing what they really sell for in real-life, how do we compare ballistic tupperrware 1 with ballistic tupperware 2? Have you any information?

No XD in 10mm yet. Just 9mm, 40, .357Sig, 45, and 45GAP. I would definitely buy a 10mm XD for my first 10mm handgun.

zack991

I've fired several different models of Glocks in several calibers.

Not a fan, as there's simply not enough mass to them for both solid feel and control.

That and simply they have a cult like following due to Hollywood and tv shows. I have owed several Glocks and never had an issue with them. With that being said, there are better products out there that your not just paying for the name. It could be said that the 1911 has its own cult following, but you cant compare the two for so many reasons. IT is not a valid comparison period.

Last edited:

hornett22

they aren't my thing either.

that being said,they are still an excellent firearm.they are just miserably uncomfortable.I find the XD a lot more comfortable but own neither.