• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glocks just aren't my thing...

C

coolfrmn

This is a tabletop review of my friends Glock 21 in 45 calibre.
completely standard spec and is his sons weapon.
After the review ends I take it down to the range to put some rounds through her at the metal discs of justice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OteQzMtDyU

However at the end of the day, I have to reiterate, this gun is not something I groove to...

What blaspheme do you speak of??!!! "Glocks just aren't my thing...":cuss:

With all do seriousness. I'm a Huge Glock fan since 1996, at least. Price, simplicity & durability. LOVE THEM!!!!

But,.... My father & middle brother love their Springfield Armory XDM & XDs. After a full day of firing them, I grew to like. I enjoyed every minute. They are accurate as hell. Especially the XDM with it's match barrell straight from the factory. Great fit to my hand & good point & shoot design. If I EVER decided to buy other than Glock, It would be the Springfield Armory XD or XDM.:eek:

SSSHHHH.. Don't tell anyone I said so. Let that be just between us. :cool:

thnycav

I like my Glcok 30 but I still do like the 1911 and will pickup one when I get the chance. When I was in the Army I was on a combat pistol team with the 1911. Straight from the arms room.

Michigander

I'm a Glock shooter and you won't find a 21 in my stable. I went with the XD45 compact because it fit my hands better than the Glock.

You can either pay someone to slim it down, or you can do it yourself. The most popular source is probably Robar. A polymer composite mix can be dumped into the idiotically hulking backstrap, then it gets trimmed to whatever size you want. In my hands, a happy medium between Glock and XD would be the best fit.

I agree that the size of the 20/21 frame is moronic, but the fact remains that no one else wants to mass manufacture affordable 10mm double stack handguns that function as reliably as a hammer.

AFPVet

I have both a Glock 20 10mm and a Sig Sauer P220. I love each one for their respective roles. The Glock 20 is a perfect open carry weapon :lol: While the grip is pretty big, I have no problem with it. I am considering a Glock 21 SF (short frame) model since those have better grips.

Now in my opinion, the Sig P220 is the best 'out of the box' self defense .45 you can get; however, parts—like the weapon—are expensive. Conversely, the Glock 20—with Double Tap ammo—is like having 15 rounds of .357 magnum on your hip—making it a great hike gun.

Realistically, I will probably just stay with the Sig P220 and Glock 20... and replace the Sig with the Glock 21SF when it's worn—probably when rail/particle pistols are commonplace :lol: That Sig will probably still be functioning the day they put me in the retirement home :p

XDFDE45

Contrary to popular belief, you do not have to like Glocks. What ever works and feels good in your hand.
Also there are other guns as reliable as a Glock.

XD Torture test

That was a great read, thanks. Glock has a well deserved reputation but the grip angle is just too steep for me. I tried shooting one many times but it just wasn't comfortable. With the angle on the XD being almost the same as a 1911 it was a much better fit and much more comfortable for me than the Glock. Nothing wrong with Glock but the XD just works better in my hands.

rotorhead

When it comes to plastic I prefer the S&W M&P, I'd even take the S&W SD over a Glock.

+10

I think the M&P has really set a new standard for plastic guns. While all due respect is given to the Glocks for their innovations and marketing over the past 10-15 years, more and more companies are now providing a better platform for people to choose from, and newer innovations and improvements are, at a minimum, showing that Glocks are starting to fall behind the times in terms of sales and popularity.

It's no longer a matter of either buying a Glock or settling for something less reliable or untested. Today, many companies are right there with them in terms of reliability, quality, and price.

ZO6Vettever

Glock 30SF is #1 on my wishlist. I have so far fought off buying one because I like my EDC. However, the 30SF will accept the 13+1 mag in 45ACP. Better than my 16+1 9mm. Weight only a few ozs. more loaded. Size actually slightly smaller. When, and I know I will, get me one I'll probably put an 8.5 lb. spring in as I am lookin' more for a carry pistol than a tack driver. Glock triggers IMHO are a tad light for an EDC.

ThunderRanch

Nothing in particular against Glock....but........

I'm one of the very few people I'm aware of that had a Glock lemon. It was a Glock 21 that had a myriad of problems, was sent back to Glock 3 different times. They did finally replace it with a new gun, so the customer service is excellent, but I promptly sold it due to all the reasons people give for loving them.......I didn't trust it to function in a critical moment.

I know plenty of owners who swear by them and their reliability, so I don't bash them. I just won't be one of those who owns one!

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I'm not a Glockster myself, but I just bought one.

Facts are more important than Feelings. So I am the proud new owner of Ballistic Tupperware. .357 Sig. It's already my preferred carry weapon.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I do find it interesting that Kel Tec has been making plastic guns for longer than all of the companies mentioned in this thread.

And they don't suck, too.

TechnoWeenie

Loved my glock 17....

Only sold it to get a 21SF.

I have smaller hands, and even the SF was too big.

I opted to sell the 21 to get a s&w m&p in .45

With the changeable back straps, it suits me perfectly.

CenTex

Where the heck did you find a threaded barrel for a Glock 36? I have a 36, and I can't even find after-market sights for it, let alone an extended, threaded barrel...

threaded barrel for a glock 36? easy

all it takes to find anything for any glock is an idiot with the internet.

Well, that may explain why you found it and Dreamer didn't. :banana:
I'm sorry, Daylen, I couldn't help myself when I saw that lead in.

Last edited: