• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Off topic a bit, but witnessed an incident tonight..

Aaron1124

For those that know, I work for a security contractor. Tonight, while on duty, I saw a car speed into the parking lot through the east entrance. Another car was coming from the opposite direction, and had actually arrived before the other car. The car coming from the opposite direction then blared his horn at the speeding vehicle who cut in front of him.

As the cars entered the parking lot, the first car continued to blare his horn, and yell obscenities at the other car. The "speeding" car then parked, as the other car parked right next to him. The "speeder" exited his vehicle and ignored him, while the other man walked up on him, not even 5 feet from behind him, cursing at him, telling him what an idiot he is, saying he should beat him up for his stupidity. The guy was obviously looking for a fight, but the other guy just kept walking. The guy behind him then threw his cigarette at him and spit on him from behind, hoping the guy would engage with him, but to no avail.

I was watching it the entire time, making sure it didn't escalate even more (fortunately it didn't - because quite frankly, I didn't feel like doing a half hour of paper work). I was thinking "What if the man being instigated had been armed?" When, at any point, would he have been justified in drawing his weapon? I know everyone's threat level is going to be different, and what makes one individual "in fear of his life" may not even phase another individual. The instigators actions seemed to have absolutely zero influence on the other guy, as the other guy didn't even flinch nor turn around. He just kept on about his businesses, even after getting spit on and having a cigarette thrown at him.

What are your thoughts, had you been in the man's shoes? The angry instigator could have easily assaulted the man from behind (which I thought he was going to). At what point, if any, would it be reasonable to draw a weapon in this incident?

OrangeIsTrouble

Good job on sitting around and doing your security work. I'm proud of people like you. :rolleyes:

Myself, being at a physical disadvantage to many, would have turned (when he started to tail me) and told the man he needs to back away from me or I will protect myself. I like to practice, by saying that while stepping away and preparing for any crazy stuff about to pop off.

This is assuming I wasn't being an ******* cutting people off. This is assuming we have someone looking for trouble out of nothing.

Unsubscribe for people that just watch stuff and not know when to say "no" to something.

Walt_Kowalski

umm.. he is prolly' not there to 'secure' the people at the location.. more of the items and location itself. People think that companies pay security guards to guard the public? ha!

Aaron1124

Practicing for future employment as an LEO????? (just having fun couldn't help myself)

P.S. please take this in a humorous and not serious light.

Just bein' honest! I am sure most officers of the law feel the same way toward an incident that occurs ten minutes before their shift ends!

To the other poster: To be honest; I'm not there to intervene in every little situation that arises - infact, I have very strict guidelines I must follow. If I threw myself in every situation that involved a verbal altercation, I'd be running around like a madman and acting as the dictator of the property. My job is to secure the perimeter of the parking lot and ensure there's no vandalism, property damage, or direct threats to individuals. Spitting at and throwing a cigarette at someone isn't going to involve a physical intervention on my behalf.

"Sir, you and your wife are going to have to stop arguing over what brand of dish soap to get, or I will have to ask you to leave the store, due to safety of the other customers who are not as stubborn as you morons!"

Coded-Dude

spitting on someone is an assault and defense would have been justified, but he probably got what he deserved for driving like a douche. I would have waited for the situation to escalate more as well. thanks for sharing.

Aaron1124

spitting on someone is an assault and defense would have been justified, but he probably got what he deserved for driving like a douche. I would have waited for the situation to escalate more as well. thanks for sharing.

Yeah, I agree. Most of the road rage incidents I've seen involved verbal back and forth thrashing, but normally nothing physical. If they started fighting with each other in the parking lot, then of course I would have intervened. The aggressive driver was keeping such a cool head the entire time, that he was almost acting arrogant. He was wearing a pair of shades, even though it was raining out, and was smirking the entire time the other guy was blowing a gasket.

Metalhead47

Yeah, I agree. Most of the road rage incidents I've seen involved verbal back and forth thrashing, but normally nothing physical. If they started fighting with each other in the parking lot, then of course I would have intervened. The aggressive driver was keeping such a cool head the entire time, that he was almost acting arrogant. He was wearing a pair of shades, even though it was raining out, and was smirking the entire time the other guy was blowing a gasket.

+1

The incident was... there was no incident. No fight broke out, no paint was traded, nothing worth either party even calling the cops after the fact. What you had there was two douches being douchey. Probably meant for each other, irresistibly drawn together by their own karmic stinkiness.

And I'll bet you've got orders to only "observe & report" right?

Aaron1124

+1

The incident was... there was no incident. No fight broke out, no paint was traded, nothing worth either party even calling the cops after the fact. What you had there was two douches being douchey. Probably meant for each other, irresistibly drawn together by their own karmic stinkiness.

And I'll bet you've got orders to only "observe & report" right?

You're exactly right. Just a couple of idiots acting like douches in their own way. I honestly couldn't believe the arrogance of the reckless driver.. smirking the entire time, and not even batting an eye lid when the other guy was behind him throwing a fit. I know if I had a guy behind me acting like that, I would NOT keep my back turned to him.
Either way, the other guy settled down as they both got into the store.

As for "observing and reporting" - yes, to an extent, but I am given permission to use physical force if there is physical violence being displayed. I'm issued duty gear, including hand cuffs - so if necessary, I could use force to restrain someone if they were getting out of hand.

Metalhead47

You're exactly right. Just a couple of idiots acting like douches in their own way. I honestly couldn't believe the arrogance of the reckless driver.. smirking the entire time, and not even batting an eye lid when the other guy was behind him throwing a fit. I know if I had a guy behind me acting like that, I would NOT keep my back turned to him.
Either way, the other guy settled down as they both got into the store.

As for "observing and reporting" - yes, to an extent, but I am given permission to use physical force if there is physical violence being displayed. I'm issued duty gear, including hand cuffs - so if necessary, I could use force to restrain someone if they were getting out of hand.

Do you get a Segway too?

SORRY couldn't resist! :lol: