Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OC and Winter carry.

OC and Winter carry.

I was searching for an alternative for winter OC'n my Blackhawk CQC Level 2 SERPA holster just does not hang low enough and it is cumbersome to have to tuck my jacket around it not to mention it compromises my ability to access it if necessary.
    Blackhawk makes a Tactical drop leg holster, at about 300 clams!
    So, upon doing alot of research I found a Tactical holster that seems to do the trick and cheap too!
    I found here at Cheaper Than Dirt, http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/TRW500-33.html
    I carry a full frame gun, XD 45 5" Tactical, it fits, fully adjustable and pretty comfy. Although the retaining strap is a DBL safety, first it snaps and there is a velcro over lap. That too is adjustable, like I said it is fully adjustable, every thing can be adjusted!
    The one thing I do not like is that there is a front pocket to hold an additional mag, it is tight and I have to almost force the mag into the pocket, mind you it is a DBL stack 45 cal.
    Other than that it works great!

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

OC gunbelt over winter wear.

I sized my BeltMan.com gunbelt to wear my daily wear SERPA and SA1911 over my heaviest winter wear. That also leaves many inches of expansion with aging. LOL

Looks like a decent setup. I have a similar rig, though not as adjustable.
    In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.

I go drop leg Tac holster with extra mag holder.
    The holster protects your firearm fairly well while snowing, or shoveling that white crap, and no worry's about accidental cover.
    Just my opinion, Officer!!!

I have a few UTG products and they are great

McX
    i was thinking of wrapping some of those hot hands around my grip-heh,heh.

I usually just wear my belt holster, but sometimes will wear my leg holster.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    i was thinking of wrapping some of those hot hands around my grip-heh,heh.
    Wah wah wah wahhhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by qball54208 View Post
    I was searching for an alternative for winter OC'n my Blackhawk CQC Level 2 SERPA holster just does not hang low enough and it is cumbersome to have to tuck my jacket around it not to mention it compromises my ability to access it if necessary.
    Other than that it works great!
    I purchased the TAC-125 from CTD and have been happy with it as well. Same gun as OP but w/ TLR ligh. It isn't nearly as adjustable and out of the box does not accommodate a light, but with a few snips of the thread under where the dust cover sits, the holster opened enough to hold the light.

Campaign Veteran
    I have a Safariland drop leg holster that I bought with similar plans (including carrying in the woods), I have found that I prefer to just carry my normal waist holster and wear less clothes so to not worry about concealing it whenever possible.

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA

Thumbs up I've changed my mind about tactical holsters

I used to think of the drop-leg holsters as kind of a "look at me" solution, but now I see the value of them for Winter Carry. Blackhawk makes a tactical drop-leg platform that would accept my level 2 CQC holster, but it doesn't seem to have leg straps so I'll keep looking. I might get a Leapers to tide me over although I don't have any pistols with a light or laser... might have to remedy that, too.
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

I have a black trench coat I wear with a pistol belt around it looped through it.

Founder's Club Member bnhcomputing's Avatar
    Check out this picture on my FB page. I carry this way all winter long.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...438.1229605188

Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar
    Blackhawk makes a Tactical drop leg holster, at about 300 clams!
    All you need is the drop leg platform to attach your serpa holster to.. It only lists for $65. I have seen them at Scheels for $55 in the past.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Tac...rm,814,112.htm
    Last edited by Interceptor_Knight; 11-17-2010 at 10:59 PM.

Great, think I might have to get it. Thanks.

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    I am not advocating that anyone break current state law along with me, But I have become so disgusted with trying to make sure my firearm is always visible, that I just do not care anymore, if my jacket falls over it, so be it!
    We already have Clark and Jackson county judges that found 941.23 unconstitutional, maybe I'll be the test case for Vilas or Oneida county.

I am a small business owner, I carry concealed everyday at my place of business. And If I need to walk down the sidewalk to do a few things and my gun is not visible I do not care, I just do not give a toss anymore. It comes down to; "My need to conceal my firearm far outweighs the states prohibition on the practice" !
    Let them try to prove that it does not!

Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor_Knight View Post
    All you need is the drop leg platform to attach your serpa holster to.. It only lists for $65. I have seen them at Scheels for $55 in the past.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Tac...rm,814,112.htm
    Check lapolicegear.com, it's $48.74 without shipping. I've bought from LA Police Gear before with no hassle.

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar

Idea for winter carry....

When I told a southern forum member here that many of us would like concealed carry in Wisconsin, if even only for the winter months, he couldn't understand how cold it get's up here sometimes. IIRC, he said that I should lick the firearm and stick it to my forehead if it gets that cold. But if my tounge is stuck to it, how do I get it on my forehead?
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

I wear a gun belt; with a belt holster and dual mag pouch, over my jacket or sweater...

Quote Originally Posted by Mugenlude View Post
    I have a Safariland drop leg holster that I bought with similar plans (including carrying in the woods), I have found that I prefer to just carry my normal waist holster and wear less clothes so to not worry about concealing it whenever possible.
    I was thinking of buying one of those "tacticool" drop leg rigs. Glad I held off.

Quote Originally Posted by hardballer View Post
    I wear a gun belt; with a belt holster and dual mag pouch, over my jacket or sweater...
    I use a gunbelt also...actually it was my uncles carry rig when he was in the Coast Gaurd. A Bianchi B2 Sam Brown belt fitted with a double mag pouch.

I use a zippered hoodie under waist length service jacket.

I tried to get used to one of them clip on paddle rigs.
    Them things bite me.
    I dont know if its the way I move or what but I swear that d+mned thing has teeth.

IIRC, he said that I should lick the firearm and stick it to my forehead if it gets that cold. But if my tounge is stuck to it, how do I get it on my forehead?
    Aint that the truth...

LR Yote
    Last edited by LR Yote 312; 11-19-2010 at 01:52 AM.
    *NOTE: No Longer under the tyranny of Milwaukee County.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    - Frank Outlaw

orrrr

Last edited by 1245A Defender; 11-19-2010 at 03:42 AM.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Talking

1245, I think your tin foil hat is a little too tight...

Chest Holster

I carry mine in a chest holster over my coat when out in the big bad woods of northern Wisconsin. I bought mine from here: http://www.alaskasportsmanproducts.com/index.html and absolutely love it.

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA

Lightbulb This gives me an idea....

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    How come you're not cocked and locked?
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Nutczak View Post
    I am not advocating that anyone break current state law along with me, But I have become so disgusted with trying to make sure my firearm is always visible, that I just do not care anymore, if my jacket falls over it, so be it!
    We already have Clark and Jackson county judges that found 941.23 unconstitutional, maybe I'll be the test case for Vilas or Oneida county.
    Can I say HELL YAH. That is pretty much how I feel.

COMMENTS REMOVED BY MODERATOR: In the best interest of the poster.

Edited to Add: After looking up my ex-wifes latest husbands criminal record, I will NEVER be without a firearm at the ready.
    Last edited by BROKENSPROKET; 11-20-2010 at 12:22 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast