• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC and Winter carry.

qball54208

I was searching for an alternative for winter OC'n my Blackhawk CQC Level 2 SERPA holster just does not hang low enough and it is cumbersome to have to tuck my jacket around it not to mention it compromises my ability to access it if necessary.
Blackhawk makes a Tactical drop leg holster, at about 300 clams!
So, upon doing alot of research I found a Tactical holster that seems to do the trick and cheap too!
I found here at Cheaper Than Dirt, http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/TRW500-33.html
I carry a full frame gun, XD 45 5" Tactical, it fits, fully adjustable and pretty comfy. Although the retaining strap is a DBL safety, first it snaps and there is a velcro over lap. That too is adjustable, like I said it is fully adjustable, every thing can be adjusted!
The one thing I do not like is that there is a front pocket to hold an additional mag, it is tight and I have to almost force the mag into the pocket, mind you it is a DBL stack 45 cal.
Other than that it works great!

na559

I go drop leg Tac holster with extra mag holder.
The holster protects your firearm fairly well while snowing, or shoveling that white crap, and no worry's about accidental cover.

M

McX

i was thinking of wrapping some of those hot hands around my grip-heh,heh.

OCmyXD

I was searching for an alternative for winter OC'n my Blackhawk CQC Level 2 SERPA holster just does not hang low enough and it is cumbersome to have to tuck my jacket around it not to mention it compromises my ability to access it if necessary.
Other than that it works great!

I purchased the TAC-125 from CTD and have been happy with it as well. Same gun as OP but w/ TLR ligh. It isn't nearly as adjustable and out of the box does not accommodate a light, but with a few snips of the thread under where the dust cover sits, the holster opened enough to hold the light.

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
I have a Safariland drop leg holster that I bought with similar plans (including carrying in the woods), I have found that I prefer to just carry my normal waist holster and wear less clothes so to not worry about concealing it whenever possible.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
I've changed my mind about tactical holsters

I used to think of the drop-leg holsters as kind of a "look at me" solution, but now I see the value of them for Winter Carry. Blackhawk makes a tactical drop-leg platform that would accept my level 2 CQC holster, but it doesn't seem to have leg straps so I'll keep looking. I might get a Leapers to tide me over although I don't have any pistols with a light or laser... might have to remedy that, too. :D

nevinsb

I have a black trench coat I wear with a pistol belt around it looped through it.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member

Interceptor_Knight

Blackhawk makes a Tactical drop leg holster, at about 300 clams!

All you need is the drop leg platform to attach your serpa holster to.. It only lists for $65. I have seen them at Scheels for $55 in the past.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Tactical-Holster-Platform,814,112.htm

Last edited:

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
I am not advocating that anyone break current state law along with me, But I have become so disgusted with trying to make sure my firearm is always visible, that I just do not care anymore, if my jacket falls over it, so be it!
We already have Clark and Jackson county judges that found 941.23 unconstitutional, maybe I'll be the test case for Vilas or Oneida county.

I am a small business owner, I carry concealed everyday at my place of business. And If I need to walk down the sidewalk to do a few things and my gun is not visible I do not care, I just do not give a toss anymore. It comes down to; "My need to conceal my firearm far outweighs the states prohibition on the practice" !
Let them try to prove that it does not!

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Idea for winter carry....

When I told a southern forum member here that many of us would like concealed carry in Wisconsin, if even only for the winter months, he couldn't understand how cold it get's up here sometimes. IIRC, he said that I should lick the firearm and stick it to my forehead if it gets that cold. But if my tounge is stuck to it, how do I get it on my forehead? :uhoh:

LR Yote 312

I have a Safariland drop leg holster that I bought with similar plans (including carrying in the woods), I have found that I prefer to just carry my normal waist holster and wear less clothes so to not worry about concealing it whenever possible.

I was thinking of buying one of those "tacticool" drop leg rigs. Glad I held off.

I wear a gun belt; with a belt holster and dual mag pouch, over my jacket or sweater...

I use a gunbelt also...actually it was my uncles carry rig when he was in the Coast Gaurd. A Bianchi B2 Sam Brown belt fitted with a double mag pouch.

I use a zippered hoodie under waist length service jacket.

I tried to get used to one of them clip on paddle rigs.
Them things bite me.
I dont know if its the way I move or what but I swear that d+mned thing has teeth.

IIRC, he said that I should lick the firearm and stick it to my forehead if it gets that cold. But if my tounge is stuck to it, how do I get it on my forehead?

Aint that the truth...

LR Yote

Last edited: