Thread: Press Herald - Portland, ME council demands widespread gun bans

Moderator / Administrator

Press Herald - Portland, ME council demands widespread gun bans

http://www.pressherald.com/news/coun...010-11-16.html

SNIP

. . .

[councilmember] Skolnik said during Monday's hearing that no gun owner has a good reason for carrying a loaded weapon into an event at the Merrill Auditorium, the Portland Expo or the Cumberland County Civic Center.

He said people who display weapons in public places create fear and anxiety.

"People who don't know who you are don't know if you are a constitutionalist or a killer," he said.

Gun owners disagreed. They argued that an armed public makes for a safer community because armed citizens can prevent criminals from harming anyone.

"Simply carrying a firearm is not dangerous," said Norman Hamann, a gun owner from Lyman. "You can't stop a criminal with a silly ordinance like this."

. . .

Shane Belanger, who founded the Maine Open Carry Association, wore a weapon at Monday's hearing. "More gun laws do not save lives because they do not deter the criminals," he said.

. . .

Grew up in Portland reminds me of Chitwood Deering Oaks days

Big surprise Portland Maine City Council hates gun-owners.

I grew up in Portland lived in a neighborhood between Congress St. and Brighton Ave (near the hospital).

When I was little (30 years ago), back in the 1980's I remember Chitwood going after some guy that open carried at Deering Oaks Park.

Go Shane Go!
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Maine has a solid nucleus of dedicated activists and they are becoming more knowledgeable and effective every day.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

How ironic

I realize that the last comment on the post about Portland Maine is roughly a year old. I would like to point out that the only people that commented about this hail from the Old Dominion. It is no wonder why I left Maine years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by PWC_Glock View Post
    I realize that the last comment on the post about Portland Maine is roughly a year old. I would like to point out that the only people that commented about this hail from the Old Dominion. It is no wonder why I left Maine years ago.

There were plenty of threads about this topic when it occurred. Just because this particular one didn't take off is not evidence of our complacency. We attended every meeting involved with this proposed legislation and defeated it soundly. We also used the opportunity to catapult several new pro gun laws through the state legislature. I take offense at your implication that we are not actively protecting our rights.

Quote Originally Posted by boyscout399 View Post
    There were plenty of threads about this topic when it occurred. Just because this particular one didn't take off is not evidence of our complacency. We attended every meeting involved with this proposed legislation and defeated it soundly. We also used the opportunity to catapult several new pro gun laws through the state legislature. I take offense at your implication that we are not actively protecting our rights.
    Don't take offense, just keep on doing what you're doing and smile all the while.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Don't take offense, just keep on doing what you're doing and smile all the while.
    Excellent advice.
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

Accomplished Advocate
    when i saw this, i about had a heart attack haha... i was like WHAT, SKOLNIK IS AT IT AGAIN?! Then I realized it was from 2010... also, there's no way that that is a quote from me, I never say gun... they are either defensive tools, or firearms.

I'm with Grapeshot and BadgerJohnson on this: Keep it up, boyscout339!

First of all I meant no offense to anyone in Maine wanting to open carry. My criticism/target was the Portland PD not any anyone on this board.

Hell I first learned about open carry when I was around 10 And read about some guy arrested for carrying is Deering Oaks.

That said I have to give my thanks to the Portland Press Herald /Portland Police Department/ and especially Michael Chitwood.

Shoting guns in VA is a rush and enjoyable. In Maine not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by PWC_Glock View Post
    ... I first learned about open carry when I was around 10 And read about some guy arrested for carrying is Deering Oaks...
    Uh, well, to quote that old TV show... will the real boy scout please stand up and take a bow.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_JMB View Post
    Uh, well, to quote that old TV show... will the real boy scout please stand up and take a bow.
    The arrest in Deering Oaks was before my time. I believe he is talking about the incident that took place in the late 80s or early 90s that sparked the passage of the State Preemption law.

Accomplished Advocate
    why revive a thread from January 2011?

Quote Originally Posted by shanebelanger View Post
    why revive a thread from January 2011?
    It was revived in January by PWC_Glock. He was trying to make the point that the Maine people aren't active enough, even though he has no idea what we do because he's in Virginia. It fell flat.
    Last edited by boyscout399; 02-19-2012 at 01:30 PM.

Accomplished Advocate
    It was revived in January by PWC_Glock. He was trying to make the point that the Maine people aren't active enough, even though he has no idea what we do because he's in Virginia. It fell flat.
    yeah, I know... I also don't understand this quote from him: Shoting guns in VA is a rush and enjoyable. In Maine not so much.

I chalk it up to him being a troll and having nothing better to do.

Quote Originally Posted by shanebelanger View Post
    yeah, I know... I also don't understand this quote from him: Shoting guns in VA is a rush and enjoyable. In Maine not so much.

I chalk it up to him being a troll and having nothing better to do.
    My thoughts too.

Portland CC Rights

If one does not stand up to defend their rights: Portland City Council will attempt to slow down the process of concealed carry permiting.

Can we get a mod to lock this thread? For some reason people keep resurrecting it from the dead. This is a thread from 2010 and it keeps getting bumped every few months for no reason. This issue was defeated in Maine last year.

Can we get a mod to lock this thread? For some reason people keep resurrecting it from the dead. This is a thread from 2010 and it keeps getting bumped every few months for no reason. This issue was defeated in Maine last year.
    As requested.