• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Change of address on Permit if you move?

Spectre

Not sure if this can go here...not OC related but VA related as well.

I recently moved and just need to know if I need to inform the system that I moved in regards to my Concealed carry permit. I stayed in the same county if that matters.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I'm not aware of a requirement to notify the Clerk of the Circuit Court, but you might want to consider the responses from LEOs when your ID and CHP info do not match up. It's your call to make.

Mine, BTW, do not match up.

stay safe.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
IANAL

All I can find is:

18.2-308 K1. The clerk of a circuit court that issued a valid concealed handgun permit shall, upon presentation of the valid permit and proof of a new address of residence by the permit holder, issue a replacement permit specifying the permit holder's new address. The clerk of court shall forward the permit holder's new address of residence to the State Police. The State Police may charge a fee not to exceed $5, and the clerk of court issuing the replacement permit may charge a fee not to exceed $5. The total amount assessed for processing a replacement permit pursuant to this subsection shall not exceed $10, with such fees to be paid in one sum to the person who accepts the information for the replacement permit.

It doesn't say you do or do not have to change your address on CHP, only what they can charge to do it.

Last edited:

wylde007

From the State Police "FAQ":

The address on my Resident Concealed Handgun Permit is no longer correct. Is my permit still valid?
Yes, but you may request a replacement permit if you wish. The clerk of a circuit court that issued a valid concealed handgun permit shall, upon presentation of the valid permit and proof of a new address of residence by the permit holder, issue a replacement permit specifying the permit holder's new address.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
The two times that I have ever been asked to present my CHP (both times while entering the General Assembly Building) I have had no issue with the discrepancy between the address on my CHP and my identification. In 2009 the Capitol Police officer asked me which was right and I told him that my ID was right and that I had not changed the CHP since it was not statutorily required. He recognized that my statement was correct and that was the end of that.

TFred

Actually, if you think about it, applying for a CHP just prior to moving is one way to defeat the "open records" policy for CHP applications. Of course, to be thorough, you'd have to go to an unlisted number and leave no forwarding address, etc...

And I suppose that your address would get updated in 5 years when you apply for the renewal. Hopefully this problem will be gone well before that.

TFred

mrjam2jab

IANAL

All I can find is:

18.2-308 K1. The clerk of a circuit court that issued a valid concealed handgun permit shall, upon presentation of the valid permit and proof of a new address of residence by the permit holder, issue a replacement permit specifying the permit holder's new address. The clerk of court shall forward the permit holder's new address of residence to the State Police. The State Police may charge a fee not to exceed $5, and the clerk of court issuing the replacement permit may charge a fee not to exceed $5. The total amount assessed for processing a replacement permit pursuant to this subsection shall not exceed $10, with such fees to be paid in one sum to the person who accepts the information for the replacement permit.

It doesn't say you do or do not have to change your address on CHP, only what they can charge to do it.

They charge to issue a replacement permit...but what if you just want to inform them of the change? Do they send renewal notices? If so, you will want them to have the new address. Can you just call them and give the new info?

nova

If you move to a different location in Virginia you don't have to update your CHP until you get a new one (from the county you moved to).

hell, the address on my CHP doesn't match my DL and it's my original one too (they misspelled my street name and I didn't catch it). It only matters if you're going to use the CHP as a second ID when buying a firearm...I don't, so I don't care about it.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
They charge to issue a replacement permit...but what if you just want to inform them of the change? Do they send renewal notices? If so, you will want them to have the new address. Can you just call them and give the new info?

They do not send renewal notices, you must keep track of that yourself. Also when renewal time comes around if you put your renewal application in 90 to 180 days before expiration of your permit the new permit must start the day your current permit expires.

Last edited:

mark-in-texas

FYI for anyone reading this thread; bottom line, check your state's CHL statutes. In Texas it's REQUIRED that you notify a change of address within 30 days.

TFred

FYI for anyone reading this thread; bottom line, check your state's CHL statutes. In Texas it's REQUIRED that you notify a change of address within 30 days.
I think this forum operates under the general assumption that questions and answers provided in the State forums apply to that state, unless specifically stated otherwise.

TFred