Thread: Can't resist, have to share...

Can't resist, have to share...

Found here:
    Sharp as a marble

Nice cartoon but slightly incorrect. People don't generally fear guns. They fear, people with guns.

There are those who DO fear guns, the gun itself, not just a person with a gun.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever does.- Margaret Mead

Those who will not fight for justice today will fight for their lives in the future,

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Nice cartoon but slightly incorrect. People don't generally fear guns. They fear, people with guns.
    Not in my experience. The only ones silly enough to fear either are the ones silly enough to fear the inanimate object, not the behaviors of the person possessing it.

I agree that you can find the ultra nutbag who recoils at the sight of a gun as if they came across a rattlesnake.

However, in general the average individual who feels uncomfortable when they see a 'person' with a gun does not have the same reaction with a uniformed authority figure like a police officer. Hence my hypothesis; that it is the person that elicits the response much more so than the gun.

Perhaps it is just to much of a stretch for me to rationalize how one can fear an inanimate object.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    IMO they fear the guns - otherwise they would fear the person.
    "They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
    It ain't what they call rock and roll
    And the Sultans...
    Yeah the Sultans, they play Creole"

OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    Not in my experience. The only ones silly enough to fear either are the ones silly enough to fear the inanimate object, not the behaviors of the person possessing it.
    +1 "Can't it just go off?!"

I think John is largely correct. Nobody gets nervous when a cop is carrying a gun.
    Its the concept that anyone can do it that bothers them. Maybe because they question their own ability to act responsibly & project that upon everybody.

It may be true that most folks do not spaz out when seeing a gun attached to a cop.

But on my OC outings (they happen every time there is a day whose name ends with the letter "Y") I've had conversations with folks who are willing to admit that the actual inert piece of hardware is what they fear most. Usually it turns out they have absolutely no info on how it works.

The strangest thing is they are willing to stand right next to me for some extended period of time discussing this and getting answers to their many questions not only about carry laws but about the mechanicalk aspects of how the gun works.

People - they are the craziest of folks.

stay safe.