• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can't resist, have to share...

Rich B

image_8.png

Found here:
Sharp as a marble

JohnnyO

Nice cartoon but slightly incorrect. People don't generally fear guns. They fear, people with guns.

JohnnyO

I agree that you can find the ultra nutbag who recoils at the sight of a gun as if they came across a rattlesnake.

However, in general the average individual who feels uncomfortable when they see a 'person' with a gun does not have the same reaction with a uniformed authority figure like a police officer. Hence my hypothesis; that it is the person that elicits the response much more so than the gun.

Perhaps it is just to much of a stretch for me to rationalize how one can fear an inanimate object.

Leverdude

I think John is largely correct. Nobody gets nervous when a cop is carrying a gun.
Its the concept that anyone can do it that bothers them. Maybe because they question their own ability to act responsibly & project that upon everybody.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It may be true that most folks do not spaz out when seeing a gun attached to a cop.

But on my OC outings (they happen every time there is a day whose name ends with the letter "Y") I've had conversations with folks who are willing to admit that the actual inert piece of hardware is what they fear most. Usually it turns out they have absolutely no info on how it works.

The strangest thing is they are willing to stand right next to me for some extended period of time discussing this and getting answers to their many questions not only about carry laws but about the mechanicalk aspects of how the gun works.

People - they are the craziest of folks.

stay safe.