• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"You can't take the law into your own hands, cowboy!"

Aaron1124

"You can't take the law into your own hands, cowboy!" Were the words I heard from some sheeple of a man yesterday. I had a real "idiot encounter" at Target. I had just got done grabbing some Christmas gifts for my immediate family, and was approaching the check out line, when a man coming from the clothing area approached. The conversation went as follows:

Man - "Hey partner, are you a cop?"

Me - "Nope!"

Man - "Is that a real gun you have?"

Me - "Yep! It is.." (As if I were carrying around a toy gun?)

Man - "Do you carry it loaded?" (Again - another stupid question)

Me - "Yes, I do!"

Man - "Why do you carry it?"

Me - "I respect the job of the police force, but I am aware that police officers can not be everywhere at every minute of the day. Police officers also have no duty to protect lives, so I believe in personal responsibility and taking initiative to protect myself and my family. I also open carry to provide as a physical deterrent to crime."

Man - "Well you can't take the law into your own hands, cowboy! Besides, carrying openly does not make for more of a deterrent. It makes you a target."

Me - "I'm not sure how it has anything to do with "taking the law into my own hands", as I am taking safety precautions to protect myself. In fact, I have some small brochures and pamphlets about the open carry of firearms. I'd be glad to share one with ya if you're interested." (At this point, I pulled one out of my pocket.)

Man - "When we have cowboys like yourself running around, it gives the impression that we're in the wild wild west! What kind of example do you think that sets for the young generations growing up in this world?"

Me - "A realistic example."

At this point, I knew which direction the man was taking this conversation, and rather than continuing to engage with him, I excused myself, and told him that I would now be checking out.

He then replied with a "Careful not to shoot anyone on the way out!" which was completely stupid of him to say. You don't say that kind of crap to someone who is visibly armed, as you don't know what a random passer by would think, not knowing the situation. The man was obviously fishing for trouble, and I wasn't about to fall for it.

Note that I am a very clean cut guy who dresses nice. This was the first "awkward" type of encounter that I have had in a long time.

Edited to add details that I forgot to include.

Last edited:

PoliceState

"You can't take the law into your own hands, cowboy!" Were the words I heard from some sheeple of a man yesterday. I had a real "idiot encounter" at Target. I had just got done grabbing some Christmas gifts for my immediate family, and was approaching the check out line, when a man coming from the clothing area approached. The conversation went as follows:

Me - "Nope!"

Me - "Yes, I do!"

Me - "I respect the job of the police force, but I am aware that police officers can not be everywhere at every minute of the day. Police officers also have no duty to protect lives, so I believe in personal responsibility and taking initiative to protect myself and my family. I also open carry to provide as a physical deterrent to crime."

Man - "Well you can't take the law into your own hands, cowboy! Besides, carrying openly does not make for more of a deterrent. It makes you a target."

Me - "I'm not sure how it has anything to do with "taking the law into my own hands, as I am taking safety precautions to protect myself. In fact, I have some small brochures and pamphlets about the open carry or firearms. I'd be glad to share one with ya if you're interested." (At this point, I pulled one out of my pocket.)

Man - "When we have cowboys like yourself running around, it gives the impression that we're in the wild wild west! What kind of example do you think that sets for the young generations growing up in this world?"

At this point, I knew which direction the man was taking this conversation, and rather than continuing to engage with him, I excused myself, and told him that I would now be checking out.

He then replied with a "Careful not to shoot anyone on the way out!" which was completely stupid of him to say. You don't say that kind of crap to someone who is visibly armed, as you don't know what a random passer by would think, not knowing the situation. The man was obviously fishing for trouble, and I wasn't about to fall for it.

Note that I am a very clean cut guy who dresses nice. This was the first "awkward" type of encounter that I have had in a long time.

you handled it great. some people like him just listen to cnn and never look up stats laws or statues or even facts that a armed public is a safer public. keep up ocing and great job.

xxx.jakk.xxx

Wow, what a tool. I hope I never have to deal with guys like that. The way that I was raised, just having a normal conversation with people I don't know is awkward enough, so having to deal with someone being a d**k to me that I don't know would just suck.

Old Grump

Mentally challenged individuals do not want to be persuaded they just want to vent thinking if they can make you look small it might make them seem like they have large testosterone producing glands. You did good and he looked like an idiot to anybody around that might have been paying attention. Good job.

Aaron1124

Thanks. I was willing to talk to him, because I have had people in public inquire about OCing of firearms, and they were very eager to learn about it. I thought it was going to be the same for this man, but I was wrong. It really pissed me off when he made the "don't shoot anyone" remark, but I know he was trolling for a scene in the store.

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

Some people are idiots, crazy or both. If I had a list of things that I WOULD NOT do, one of the top five would be not getting into it with someone who is armed with a handgun. I don't care how clean-cut you look, I personally wouldn't be trolling for any type of negative interaction...just me though.

I was over by SP Range about eight months ago, sitting at the counter, my right arm was rested over my rig, but this older man walked behind me and slapped his hand on my sidearm and said, "nice gun." Obviously I clenched my arm to my side and turn away...I wanted to smack him upside his head:banghead:

mark-in-texas

I HATE that phrase; you can't take the law in to your own hands, it was never out of them in the first place!! All governmental authority comes from THE PEOPLE. We hire police to do the full time job of enforcing laws, but that does not absolve us from the responsibility for ourselves.

Aaron1124

I HATE that phrase; you can't take the law in to your own hands, it was never out of them in the first place!! All governmental authority comes from THE PEOPLE. We hire police to do the full time job of enforcing laws, but that does not absolve us from the responsibility for ourselves.

Exactly! Thank you! I am glad someone agrees with me on that. I also find it funny how the anti's call all of the OC'ers "cowboys".

Last edited:

tombrewster421

Exactly! Thank you! I am glad someone agrees with me on that. I also find it funny how the anti's call all of the OC'ers "cowboys".

Yeehaw sheriff! It's time te round up yer posse and go lookin fer sum trouble makers! I'm sure we all sound like this right?

tombrewster421

If you are going to propose an open carry meet, please propose a time and place as well! :lol:

Here, there, and everywhere; all of the time. Oh wait, thats God. I guess we are all a little like cowboys though. Before cops and robbers, there was cowboys and bandits. Cowboys have character, manners, chivalry, and obviously take personal responsibility for their safety.

Deleted_User

Me - "Nope!"

Me - "Yes, I do!"

Me - "I'm not sure how it has anything to do with "taking the law into my own hands", as I am taking safety precautions to protect myself. In fact, I have some small brochures and pamphlets about the open carry of firearms. I'd be glad to share one with ya if you're interested." (At this point, I pulled one out of my pocket.)

+1 to the OP. This was handled well IMHO. It's amazing how things are perceived by people like that. I bet if he needed a cop and you were nearby, he'd PLEAD for help though.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Was this the guy ?
rainman.jpg

NO, he's a Kmart kind of guy.....

Last edited:

Ruby

Some people are idiots, crazy or both. If I had a list of things that I WOULD NOT do, one of the top five would be not getting into it with someone who is armed with a handgun. I don't care how clean-cut you look, I personally wouldn't be trolling for any type of negative interaction...just me though.

I was over by SP Range about eight months ago, sitting at the counter, my right arm was rested over my rig, but this older man walked behind me and slapped his hand on my sidearm and said, "nice gun." Obviously I clenched my arm to my side and turn away...I wanted to smack him upside his head:banghead:

I would have told him, "I know it's a nice gun. Now keep your hands off of it!" As my grandfather used to say, there's no accounting for some people. Good self restraint on your part, I agree, I would have wanted to slap him silly as well.:lol:

Ruby

Good job, Amlevin. I agree with the poster that said if this man were in trouble, he would be begging for your help. At least you tried to inform him. I liken it to scattering seeds, we never know which ones will take root and grow into understanding, all we can do is try.

.45ACPaddy

I thought of a response for if/when someone calls me a cowboy...

"Cowboy? That's impossible, I'm a city slicker!" and chuckle afterward.

Honestly, I'd almost be tempted to say "Careful drinking that Kool-Aid" in response to his last comment.

Great handling of the situation!