• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Space–time invisibility cloak could 'edit history'

Coded-Dude

Physicists in the UK have proposed a "space–time" invisibility cloak that, if built, could be used to prevent signal interference or give the illusion of a Star Trek teleportation device.

The idea comes after four years of research by different groups that are creating devices to make objects invisible. In 2006 researchers at Duke University in the US created the first device that could cloak a small object in two dimensions in the microwave region of the electromagnetic spectrum. Last year groups at Cornell University and the University of California at Berkeley, US, independently created 2D cloaks that operated at optical wavelengths. Then, earlier this year, a team at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology in Germany went one step further to produce a 3D optical cloak.

The latest development, by Martin McCall and colleagues of Imperial College, London, and the University of Salford, might see cloaks add yet another dimension to their capability: time. The idea is to create a tunnel through which an object could perform an action – move or change shape, for example – while appearing as though it is doing nothing at all.
source - full article

cloak your gun(or the act of drawing it). i can see all kinds of problems with this in the wrong hands, but it damn sure is interesting to read about.

Daylen

As interesting as reading Science Fiction, which is no coincidence. The physics does not work in the way they are tying to fool people into thinking it does.

Coded-Dude

I'm of the mindset that most of this stuff isn't necessarily fiction.....just unobtainable for the foreseeable future. We'll be running around like cloaked Predators in another two to three hundred years(maybe).

daddy4count

The more we understand about Quantum Entanglement and Superposition the closer these and similar "sci-fi" inventions become.

Make no mistake, the universe works in amazing ways that we don't even understand... yet.

M

McX

so is this coming soon to a k-mart near me? i could realy have some fun with this!