• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This is the email I sent to my Congressman

bigdaddy1

This is the final version. I sent it so I wouldn't keep messing with it.
If you like feel free to copy the format.

Dear Senator Carpenter,

I am writing to you regarding my right of self protection, the second amendment of the United States and our own state Constitution. The right to keep and bear arms was so important to our forefathers they chose to make it second only to the right to our freedom of speech. For many years government has been restricting this right more and more, making it nearly impossible for the average citizen to exercise this guaranteed right. It is my understanding that you and other Wisconsin Senate members are contemplating a concealed carry permit system for Wisconsin that would require special licensing and mandatory training. I do not agree with this action as no other right guaranteed by our Constitution requires any type of license or training. Currently we are legally able to carry firearms openly with out a license, registration or any mandated training, so to make it a requirement now would be against our own constitution and a reversal of rights we already have. Making these requirements degrades the right to a privilege. The right to defend oneself should never become a privilege. I believe the best position for Wisconsin to take would be constitutional carry, where the constitution is the only documentation needed to exercise our guaranteed right to keep and bear arms. If a person is legally able to purchase a weapon, that person should be able to carry a firearm where ever and how ever he or she feels is necessary.

When criminals have greater rights than victims, there is a serious problem. A problem Wisconsin currently has. Wisconsin needs to enact a castle doctrine so the citizens of this state can defend themselves from violent criminals and not fear reprisal or a civil suit. The right of self protection is not limited to the household, and neither should our rights. I should have the right to protect myself where ever I may legally be. Feel good laws like the gun free school zone do nothing to prevent criminals from carrying guns, only honest law abiding citizens are going to follow these laws. I should be able to walk out of my yard in my own neighborhood armed with out risk of arrest and a felony charge just because there is a school with in a quarter mile from my home. Car jacking and kidnapping are real threats in todays world, we deserve the right to protect ourselves when driving also. Laws that prevent concealed carry and restrictive transportation laws were put into place to protect the police, but left the citizens at risk. I would hope as a representative of the people of Wisconsin it would be your intent to protect your constituents and their rights.

In closing, I would ask you to look toward states such as Vermont, Arizona and Alaska that currently have constitutional carry in place, and states like Utah and Texas that are poised to approve it this year. Wisconsin need to be in the forefront for the peoples rights. The right to keep and bear arms must be protected as our forefathers intended, not as our elected bureaucrats choose to allow. It is equally important that we enact laws to reverse the trend of granting greater rights to criminals than the victims they prey upon. Wisconsin should repeal the Constitutionally illegal gun free school zone and apply pressure to the federal government to repeal the law completely and eliminate the transpiration restrictions. Criminals will not obey these laws, and it is foolish to expect them to. The right to protect oneself, family or property where ever that person may be should never be a question, but upheld as the right it really is.

Sincerely,

Last edited:
M

McX

verily, verily, i say unto you, the daddy that is big hath spoken the truth, and it shall set us/you free.

J.Gleason

Banned
This is the final version. I sent it so I wouldn't keep messing with it.
If you like feel free to copy the format.

Dear Senator Carpenter,

I am writing to you regarding my right of self protection, the second amendment of the United States and our own state Constitution. The right to keep and bear arms was so important to our forefathers they chose to make it second only to the right to our freedom of speech. For many years government has been restricting this right more and more, making it nearly impossible for the average citizen to exercise this guaranteed right. It is my understanding that you and other Wisconsin Senate members are contemplating a concealed carry permit system for Wisconsin that would require special licensing and mandatory training. I do not agree with this action as no other right guaranteed by our Constitution requires any type of license or training. Currently we are legally able to carry firearms openly with out a license, registration or any mandated training, so to make it a requirement now would be against our own constitution and a reversal of rights we already have. Making these requirements degrades the right to a privilege. The right to defend oneself should never become a privilege. I believe the best position for Wisconsin to take would be constitutional carry, where the constitution is the only documentation needed to exercise our guaranteed right to keep and bear arms. If a person is legally able to purchase a weapon, that person should be able to carry a firearm where ever and how ever he or she feels is necessary.

When criminals have greater rights than victims, there is a serious problem. A problem Wisconsin currently has. Wisconsin needs to enact a castle doctrine so the citizens of this state can defend themselves from violent criminals and not fear reprisal or a civil suit. The right of self protection is not limited to the household, and neither should our rights. I should have the right to protect myself where ever I may legally be. Feel good laws like the gun free school zone do nothing to prevent criminals from carrying guns, only honest law abiding citizens are going to follow these laws. I should be able to walk out of my yard in my own neighborhood armed with out risk of arrest and a felony charge just because there is a school with in a quarter mile from my home. Car jacking and kidnapping are real threats in todays world, we deserve the right to protect ourselves when driving also. Laws that prevent concealed carry and restrictive transportation laws were put into place to protect the police, but left the citizens at risk. I would hope as a representative of the people of Wisconsin it would be your intent to protect your constituents and their rights.

In closing, I would ask you to look toward states such as Vermont, Arizona and Alaska that currently have constitutional carry in place, and states like Utah and Texas that are poised to approve it this year. Wisconsin need to be in the forefront for the peoples rights. The right to keep and bear arms must be protected as our forefathers intended, not as our elected bureaucrats choose to allow. It is equally important that we enact laws to reverse the trend of granting greater rights to criminals than the victims they prey upon. Wisconsin should repeal the Constitutionally illegal gun free school zone and apply pressure to the federal government to repeal the law completely and eliminate the transpiration restrictions. Criminals will not obey these laws, and it is foolish to expect them to. The right to protect oneself, family or property where ever that person may be should never be a question, but upheld as the right it really is.

Sincerely,

Check for typos but all in all very nice. Your tone in your letter gives the reader the opinion that you are truly fed up. Great Job!

bigdaddy1

I hit the spell check before I sent it. Hopefully it caught the "transpiration" issue.

We just need everyone to send something similar to their respective congressperson. Multiple mailings from the people to express our will and what we expect. We don't want them to use the Doyle excuse, that "the majority (of the 3 people I had in my office today) don't want this. Let them know what we are looking for. I don't care if you copy and paste my letter, just get them out.

bigdaddy1

I haven't received anything back yet from either of my representatives. Not even one of those automated response messages. I am disappointed, not surprised though.