• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Deer Private Propertry No CPL

Onnie

Dont know all i remember he came on the property on his own to check on a tags and a camp deer permit, so maybe that permit gave him permission to be there......but one way or another, he was there and they court said it was legal! I loose

autosurgeon

I disagree that the DNR over reached.

There is NO loophole in the law for loaded long gun carry in a car on private property.

And the fact that you had hunting licenses gave him permission to check you. Perhaps reading the agreement you sign when getting a hunting licence would be a good idea?

I don't agree that the law on loaded long arms should apply on private property.. but it does so blaming the DNR for enforcing a law on the books is silly. They didn't make the law they just are charged with enforcing it.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Dont know all i remember he came on the property on his own to check on a tags and a camp deer permit, so maybe that permit gave him permission to be there......but one way or another, he was there and they court said it was legal! I loose
Seems to me, he was out to make his quota. I don't see why he couldn't have just let you off with a warning. I'd understand the tickets, IF you and the others had a history of violations, but, on your own land even? Geez, tax collectors with guns is what I'd call the DNR cops.

Onnie

Seems to me, he was out to make his quota. I don't see why he couldn't have just let you off with a warning. I'd understand the tickets, IF you and the others had a history of violations, but, on your own land even? Geez, tax collectors with guns is what I'd call the DNR cops.

in this case my uncles have a long history of poaching, they have been on this land most of their lives and eat off the land all year. So the DNR regulary makes visits to the land to check on things... to my knowledge dnr has never been back there during hunting season. Due to my health I have quit hunting.

and this was in the 1990 so who know what laws have been changed or how since then, i sure dont remember but I will say one thing, I will be as legal as i can when i go hunting again, if that ever happens!