• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to NC sometime in the near future

Herdo

Hello all, my name is Andy, I'm 22, and I currently live in AZ. Ive been a member of this forum for a while now but never ventured far from the Arizona page.

My girlfriend of 3 years and I are going to be moving to North Carolina, most likely in about a year. My girlfriend is currently finishing her nursing degree, with about 6 months left of schooling/training. We have been looking in our price range and have found a couple beach front properties that we fell in love with. That never fails to blow me away, haha. I have lived in Arizona my whole life and never imagined you could find soundfront properties at an affordable price.

Anywaise, I have some concerns on OCing in NC. While I know it is a Goldstar state, I am not sure how much it is done. Here in AZ, it would be uncommon if you didn't see 3-4 people a day OCing, and it is never questioned, (other than the usual, "What are ya carrying?"). I guess my question is, is OC a new frontier in NC or is it widely accepted like in AZ? Also, if any one has any links to the process of getting a CCW, (or CCP or whatever they call them) that would be greatly appreciated, I can't seem to find anything. NC is a fairly large state, how does OCing differ from region to region? The area we were looking at is located right on Pamlico sound around, South River, which is just northeast of Morehead City.

Thanks in advance, can't wait to hear back!

Andy

Last edited:

REDFIVE48

Hi Andy
Welcome to NC (when you get here), I think you will end up missing In-N-Out Burger more than you will be concerned with OC here. I can't say that it's as prevalent as you describe AZ (I never see anyone OC) here, but I don't spend a lot of time out and about since I work at home from my desk.

Here is a link to some helpful info on CC:
http://www.usacarry.com/north_carolina_concealed_carry_permit_information.html

If you read the thread on OC Experience Reports, may give you a feeling for the state. I'm not familiar with the area you are moving to.

Good luck

M

mattwestm

Hi, generally you shouldn't have any problems with OC in any part of the state. I do believe that places east of I-95 are more gun friendly. I'd definitely recommend the New Bern/Morehead City/Atlantic Beach area. Pretty cheap to live there, low crime, and no traffic in the off season. Washington, NC has some beautiful waterfront homes as well! I've never been to South River, but Oriental is beautiful. Your girlfriend should have no problems finding a nursing job. I'd even look for nursing jobs in the Cherry Point base in Havelock.

Be aware that you cannot carry at all (OC or CC) in any establishment that serves alcohol or a place that charges admission (movie theater). You can OC in banks, just not CC. There are a few other places you can't carry at, but they are pretty much the same in every state. I've never had any problems with LE, but I do get weird looks from sheeple sometimes.

To get a CHP in NC, you must take the NC CHP training class (local gunshops will have info on instructors), go to your local county sheriffs office to complete the form and pay, then get fingerprinted. Each county has different wait times on the CHP and the fees vary. I believe Pitt County charges $90 for the application and $10 for the fingerprinting. I'd strongly suggest getting the CHP even if you OC. It makes car carry easier and you aren't forced to get a pistol permit every time you want to purchase a new handgun. I currently don't have my NC CHP and it's a real pain in the car!

sultan62

To clarify, the maximum amount allowed by NC law for the CHP application is $80 plus up to $10 for fingerprinting.

§ 14‑415.19. Fees.

(a) The permit fees assessed under this Article are payable to the sheriff. The sheriff shall transmit the proceeds of these fees to the county finance officer to be remitted or credited by the county finance officer in accordance with the provisions of this section. Except as otherwise provided by this section, the permit fees are as follows:

Application fee............................................................................... $80.00

Renewal fee................................................................................... $75.00

Duplicate permit fee....................................................................... $15.00

The county finance officer shall remit forty‑five dollars ($45.00) of each new application fee and forty dollars ($40.00) of each renewal fee assessed under this subsection to the North Carolina Department of Justice for the costs of State and federal criminal record checks performed in connection with processing applications and for the implementation of the provisions of this Article. The remaining thirty‑five dollars ($35.00) of each application or renewal fee shall be used by the sheriff to pay the costs of administering this Article and for other law enforcement purposes. The county shall expend the restricted funds for these purposes only.

(a1) The permit fees for a retired sworn law enforcement officer who provides the information required by subdivisions (1) and (2) of this subsection to the sheriff, in addition to any other information required under this Article, are as follows:

Application fee............................................................................... $45.00

Renewal fee................................................................................... $40.00

(1) A copy of the officer's letter of retirement from either the North Carolina Teachers' and State Employees' Retirement System or the North Carolina Local Governmental Employees' Retirement System.

(2) Written documentation from the head of the agency where the person was previously employed indicating that the person was neither involuntarily terminated nor under administrative or criminal investigation within six months of retirement.

The county finance officer shall remit the proceeds of the fees assessed under this subsection to the North Carolina Department of Justice to cover the cost of performing the State and federal criminal record checks performed in connection with processing applications and for the implementation of the provisions of this Article.

(b) An additional fee, not to exceed ten dollars ($10.00), shall be collected by the sheriff from an applicant for a permit to pay for the costs of processing the applicant's fingerprints, if fingerprints were required to be taken. This fee shall be retained by the sheriff. (1995, c. 398, s. 1; c. 507, s. 22.1(a); 1997‑470, s. 1; 2000‑140, s. 103; 2000‑191, s. 2; 2003‑379, s. 1.)

Herdo

Great info

Thanks everyone for all the info. After reviewing the laws for NC and reading some of the stories here on the forum, it sounds practically the same to AZ. A smaller community, but virtually the same. Of course there is no constitutional carry which is a shame, but getting the license to conceal doesn't sound like too much of a hassle. Oh and Matt, we are also looking in the Washington area, well, really anywhere that has nice waterfront properties and isn't brand new, haha. Well thank you again for the info, so far I think we will enjoy it in NC. 8)

sultan62

I will say OC is not as common as it is there, by a long shot. I have yet to see another OCer, besides at an event.

rotorhead

I would also say that it's not as common as AZ, but we're trying!

I hope you have a chance to settle in to NC on schedule and your move is as effortless as possible. While OC is not as prevalent as it is in AZ, NC does have some very lenient laws regarding our 2A rights compared to many other states.

We're trying to make it less of an oddity so that more people are used to seeing it. In doing so there's a chance that more people can see just who it is they don't have to fear. I do see others here and there, such as one guy today at lunch in a McDonald's- who made me instantly jealous because he was wearing the next one I want- XDM 9mm with a 3.8 barrel.

Over all, NC is a pretty decent state to carry in. We just need to take out some of the idiot laws like not being able to catch a steak dinner in Outback because they happen to serve alcohol in the other end of the room, etc.

elixin77

If your looking at little Washington, there are a few of us that get together every now and then to do various activities. We recently had a range day over in Pitt county (about 45 mins away from Washington), and we're planning a lunch in Wilson for the 5th of December. I know of a few members that live in the general vicinity, so meeting new people who feel the same way about guns won't be hard at all