• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Budget cuts, stand your ground and the ‘Wild’ West

Beretta92FSLady

I think that a person should be able to use lethal force protecting personal property on their residence. I also think that people should have more personal responsibility. I do not see these cutbacks as a bad thing.

Someone steps on your property to rob, injure or kill you, there should be only one response, shoot first, ask questions later.

Since the law doesn't allow for that, I am not encouraging nor condoning that type of behavior, just wishful thinking.

oldkim

I think that a person should be able to use lethal force protecting personal property on their residence.

We do... sort of... it's the wording and intent you need to clarify. You are not protecting your "home/property" You are protecting yourself and your loved ones from harm. If an intruder breaks into your home - you have no requirement to "leave." Other states do have some provision where you need to make an attempt to leave. In Washington you do not. You can "stand your ground."

If you come across the intruder and they threaten you - you have every right in Washington to use "force" necessary to protect yourself.

This doesn't mean you chase the intruder 3 miles down the road and then start shooting. Keep it simple.

Also as Dave points out - get his book. Washington State Gun Rights and Responsibilities. A good read.
http://www.danddgunleather.com/pages/washington_gun_rights.htm

Last edited:

USMC1911

I have sated it more than once, and I'll say it again.
“I am personally responsible for the safety and security of myself, my loved ones and my property!”
I will fight back!

Semper Fi

Beretta92FSLady

If you come across the intruder and they threaten you - you have every right in Washington to use "force" necessary to protect yourself.
Also as Dave points out - get his book. Washington State Gun Rights and Responsibilities. A good read.
http://www.danddgunleather.com/pages/washington_gun_rights.htm

Read(e) it, a couple of times...nice little book to have around...good job Dave BTW, with the booklet.

I understand that...when the police show up, you better not say you were shooting the perp for taking your favorite Barbara Streisand LP...that is not justified...even though it should be IMO!

amlevin

I understand that...when the police show up, you better not say you were shooting the perp for taking your favorite Barbara Streisand LP...that is not justified...even though it should be IMO!

When the police show up it's best that you say nothing other than "I will be happy to give a statement after I have spoken with an Attorney.

As for the Barbara Streisand LP's, I'd pay him to take away any that found their way to my house.

Last edited:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
blast from the past April 2009
http://www.seattlepi.com/local/405240_guns17ww.html

Through April 14, law enforcement agencies sent the department 27,252 approved concealed-pistol applications. That's 1,945 higher than the full four-month period last year, and an increase of 3,706 from those four months in 2007.

"It's not paranoia, but it's certainly being portrayed that way," said Dave Workman, author of "Washington State Gun Rights and Responsibilities" and senior editor of Gun Week. "I call it being prepared.

"People are looking at the budget crisis facing police and sheriff's departments and they are concerned about being able to defend themselves. Certainly part of this can be can be linked to the concerns that gun owners have about what the Obama administration has in store at some point."

In the same month....
State Sen. Tim Sheldon, a Democrat, asserted that Mason County residents could withstand police budget cuts, saying there is "no bag limit" and that home invaders may get a "hot lead enema."

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Simple_Solution.jpg

Deleted_User

blast from the past April 2009
http://www.seattlepi.com/local/405240_guns17ww.html

...snip...

In the same month....
State Sen. Tim Sheldon, a Democrat, asserted that Mason County residents could withstand police budget cuts, saying there is "no bag limit" and that home invaders may get a "hot lead enema."

Oh that's absolutely grand. Does hot lead work against zombies?!?

Things are looking gloomy with cuts and the lack of LEOs around as well as how the LEOs are treated by peop .... criminals on the street last year. Be prepared people. Don't tell me I'm paranoid. GoGoDawgs said it best ...

I'm not paranoid, I have the gun (I'd quote, but can't find it now)

Red Ryder

Thanks Dave.

Thanks Dave.

I always like the Wild West analogy as it can be turned around on those who try to use it against us gun owners. I like to cite that crime rate from Dodge City and compare it to modern day Tacoma.

There was a local comedy show called Almost Live. Great show. In one of their skits they gave city slogans for various local cities. The one for Fife was "Last chance to reload before Tacoma".