• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Millcreek couple kidnapped by team of 3 armed men

SAMI

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=13301784

MILLCREEK -- A woman was kidnapped and held for ransom Tuesday night and her husband crashed his car into a police substation in an effort to get help after he was forced at gunpoint into his vehicle.
Unified police Lt. Don Hutson said two men entered the home of the owner of Monarch Coins. The suspects bound the owner's wife, then one suspect stayed at the home while another left with the man.
The man was forced into his vehicle at gunpoint, and he was driving on 3900 South when he crashed his vehicle into the police substation in order to alert police of the crisis.
Kathleen Barrett described what she saw. She said, "Seconds after the crash, someone exited the car from the passenger side and ran really quickly down the street on 39th South, past the police building and then immediately one of the officers came out the front door, and I screamed to him that he was, the suspect was running down the street."
"We saw somebody crawl across the front seat, got out the passenger side, but obviously came from the driver's side to the passenger side all in black: black backpack, black hoodie, and ran up 39th or west on 39th," said Karen Price.
Two people are in custody. Police say a third person was involved, but no deals on his involvement were released.
When police went to the house, they found the wife tied up. They say she was unharmed.
Police believe the motive was robbery.
Meanwhile, hazmat teams are at the substation. The truck actually sheered the natural gas line, filling the police substation. It was evacuated and the gas line was shut off.

utbagpiper

Banned
I've not seen any follow up to this story (haven't really been looking). But I'm curious about how this went down.

Random knock on the door? Someone the victims knew?

I'm not overly paranoid; at least not in my own estimation. I live in a good area, on a quiet street without much traffic other then my neighbors and their guests. But I tend to keep a gun on my person until I go to bed. My doors are locked unless I or family members are out in the yard. And if I'm not expecting company, I make a point of being armed (and having one of the four legged family members nearby) before opening the door. And I've taken modest steps to strengthen the doors so it should take more than a single kick to get through them.

It is a terrible thing to have the sanctify of your home violated even when you are absent. I can't imagine the feeling of a home invasion while I'm there or my family being held hostage.

Pistol Pete Utah

Coin Store Owners

I read the couple own a Coin Store, I would guess they (bad guys) watched them go home, and more then likely that is where the one bad guy wanted to take the old man.
Lesson learned for all shop keepers, be aware of your surroundings, and take a different route on the way home or just look in your review mirror before you turn onto your street each evening.

If someone as been behind me for a few lights, and then turns into my subdivision, I drive to the next street over and loop around before I go into my driveway. They always turn off and go their own way, and likely never in my life will anyone follow me home, but that is what this couple thought too, until someone did.

utbagpiper

Banned
If someone as been behind me for a few lights, and then turns into my subdivision, I drive to the next street over and loop around before I go into my driveway. They always turn off and go their own way, and likely never in my life will anyone follow me home, but that is what this couple thought too, until someone did.

Very good point that applies to all of us, not just those who own businesses or have wealth above some level. In this day of road rage and other crazy happenings, any of us could easily end up the target of someone's wrath without having any idea why. So I have long made a point to do as you note. If the same car follows me too far I am not turning into my own driveway.

Along a similar line, I have very deliberately set "home" on my GPS unit to a location OTHER than my home. It is close enough to my home that it will always generate a reasonable path home and give a decent ETA (more valuable to me than routes in almost every case). But just far enough away (and beyond garage door opener range) that anyone stealing my unit will have some difficulty deciding exactly which house is mine.

Kind of unfortunate we even have to think about such things. But then, in the final analysis, it is unfortunate we need locks on our doors and weapons for self defense.

Charles