• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

please hit this poll, even if you're not in WI

MKEgal

please hit this poll - STOP (they've gone to press & lied about the #s)

http://www.expressmilwaukee.com/poll-284.html

Gov.-elect Scott Walker and recently elected state Republicans favor concealed carry legislation that would allow concealed guns in public. Do you believe that permitting guns at bars, coffee shops, festivals and playgrounds would make the city safer?

Yes. Citizens should be allowed to carry guns anywhere.

No. Milwaukee needs fewer guns on the street, not more.

FYI, Wisconsin ONLY has open carry (until the new legislature gets its act together), and barring private property owners posting "no guns" signs, ALL the places listed already allow people to carry. Yes, even bars, but the owner or manager must give permission, so it's not common.

Also join in the discussion if you're so inclined.

ETA: As of the posting of this bit, opinion was running 65% no, 35% yes. Predictable for this particular little paper.

As of 2pm, it's 53% no, 47% yes. They don't show numbers of votes.
I'm wondering when they have to go to press, when they'll pull the numbers from the poll? (They publish Thursdays.)

As of 11:45pm Thurs. (well after they've gone to press): 42% no 57% yes

But their published numbers? 64% no, 36% yes. What lying sacks of $#|t.

I left a voice mail for the editor asking about writing an guest column on gun rights.
He hasn't called me back. I'm not holding my breath.

Their contact info: http://www.expressmilwaukee.com/flex-113-contact.html

Last edited:

eye95

Another poll engineered to a desired outcome.

How about they just ask the question? "Do you support WI issuing permits that allow the concealed carry of firearms?"

If they really feel the need to include editorializing in the poll, accurately express the likely opinions in both the answers:

Yes. Law-abiding citizens have the right to defend themselves and to carry the tools necessary for that defense.

No. The added presence of guns in public increases violence and doesn't reduce it.

OldCurlyWolf

when the lady behind you can pull a gun out of her purse and suggest you drop your weapon and politely wait while the police come."

i'm tellin' ya, if i'm the lady behind him in line, i won't be polite, and i won't ask him to drop it. I also won't give him the opportunity to shoot me when he turns around. He'll never know what hit him.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but if he's pointing a gun at someone he's threatening their life and i have every legal, moral, & ethical right to stand in their shoes and stop the criminal from killing or seriously harming that person by whatever means necessary.

That may mean the teller has to go take a shower to get bits of criminal out of her hair, but that criminal won't point a gun at anyone ever again.

YES!!!

:d

Last edited:

MKEgal

As of 11:45pm Thurs. (well after they've gone to press): 42% no 57% yes

But their published numbers? 64% no, 36% yes. What lying sacks of $#|t.

And as for my comment on their site about the bank robbery situation, well, I have no illusion that it's in any way easy to kill someone, even when they're threatening someone's life. But I'd do it.

I'd do away with the criminal & then contaminate the scene by vomiting.
Then once the police let me go, I'd spend some quality time with a shrink.

Last edited:

MKEgal

7pm Friday: 41% no, 59% yes.

Still no response to my voice mail, asking to do a guest editorial or article, & I got an email from the second-in-command saying he doesn't do news articles. So I'm emailing the next person down the food chain, who is listed as being a news editor.