• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need help finding quotes to support an OC discussion

M

McX

Confucious say: Man who doesnt carry gun, may end up being carried by others.

since9

Campaign Veteran
My main quest at this time is to find quotes from or get in touch with some of the recognized experts in the self defense field who support OC.

Some of the fine folks here have decades of experience with firearms of all types, with OCing, CCing, the military, law enforcement, and self-defense in general.

If you want "recognized experts," they're here. Listen to 'em, as their arguments are as sound as anyone else's out there.

CliffH

By that criteria I'm an "expert" also.

You may have misinterpreted my definition of "expert". I was looking for quotes from those who have been recognized by the gun community in general as being someone who knows what they're talking about, preferably someone who has had their work published in books and/or magazines.

That's not to say I don't recognize that folks here know what they're talking about. For some arguments you simply need more creditable backup than "I got it from a guy at www........".

eye95

You may have misinterpreted my definition of "expert". I was looking for quotes from those who have been recognized by the gun community in general as being someone who knows what they're talking about, preferably someone who has had their work published in books and/or magazines.

That's not to say I don't recognize that folks here know what they're talking about. For some arguments you simply need more creditable backup than "I got it from a guy at www........".

Yeah. He totally blew off the work "recognized."

since9

Campaign Veteran

Yes, you are.

You may have misinterpreted my definition of "expert". I was looking for quotes from those who have been recognized by the gun community in general as being someone who knows what they're talking about

Like who? Massad Ayoob? Old school. Believed in concealed carry.

preferably someone who has had their work published in books and/or magazines.

I'm a published author, but in the IT and Air Force worlds, so that does no good here.

What you're failing to recognize, CliffH, is that the world of publishing has changed, and drastically. Those publishers who have failed to keep up have simply failed.

You want content?

Here it is. This is published content. OCDO is one of the most widely-read open carry forums out there. Consider it the Physics Today for Open Carry, and a strong contender for 2A rights in general.

Today, online message forums, online blogs, online news organizations, and pretty much online everything else, are several times more widely read than anything in print.

This is it, my friend! It's where things are at these days. If you're not getting it, you're way behind the times. There is no "Open Carry Life" magazine on the shelves. As far as I know, the NRA still puts out a couple of publications in print, one on hunter safety education, but that's not what you're looking for.

What you're looking for is real, actionable content which you can reliably take to someone and convince them that this is where things are at these days. I know the world of publication, teach writing classes on the side, have hosted webinars, leveraged various social media channels daily...

No one is going to spoon-feed you. To find the gems, you've got to dig. However, I find gems, mainly in links to other articles out there, like this one, on OCDO every single day.

That's not to say I don't recognize that folks here know what they're talking about.

Fine. Convince us that you recognize what the heck we're talking about by recognizing what we're talking about, or at least to what the few of us are linking.

For some arguments you simply need more creditable backup than "I got it from a guy at www........".

Then I strongly suggest you put in the millions of dollars it takes to get a credible printed publication going, become your own editor, hire writers, solicit advertising (print is very expensive!), spend 10 years building your credibility, and make it happen!

Until then, CliffH, how much more blunt can I possibly be? It's here, and now, but you'll have to dig a little. Spend one day you'll find one gem. Spend another and you'll find another.

Today, this one was a gem. Tomorrow, I'll find another.

I hope you recognize this is the world we live in today, even among the most stringent, established scientific organizations In fact, they exchange more online data and publications than anyone.

For those who don't, well, let's just say you're as outdated as your avatar is compared to homo sapiens.

Last edited:

CliffH

Like who? Massad Ayoob? Old school. Believed in concealed carry.

Well, yeah, that's pretty much what I was looking for. Someone like Ayoob - a recognized expert in the firearms community.

You made a lot of assumptions in your reply. I'll not get into a contest with you, instead I'll make my own assumption - that you were having a bad day and really aren't the kind of person that post makes you seem like.

MedicineMan

James: Ain't this a little showy, Pa? I mean with the guns out an' all?

Duke: James, don't be fooled. They all know what's in this box, and they all want it. what we're doin' with this audacious DISplay is tellin' 'em they can't have it. Who knows, we may be savin' some poor miscreant soul's life this way.

From the movie BIG JAKE

Funny how the movies USED TO have really good hints and tips for life in them

Last edited:

CliffH

James: Ain't this a little showy, Pa? I mean with the guns out an' all?

Duke: James, don't be fooled. They all know what's in this box, and they all want it. what we're doin' with this audacious DISplay is tellin' 'em they can't have it. Who knows, we may be savin' some poor miscreant soul's life this way.

From the movie BIG JAKE

Funny how the movies USED TO have really good hints and tips for life in them

Good quote.

The messages in today's movies is quite different than they used to be. IMO, the current messages are detrimental to our society as a whole.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Well, yeah, that's pretty much what I was looking for. Someone like Ayoob - a recognized expert in the firearms community.

You made a lot of assumptions in your reply. I'll not get into a contest with you, instead I'll make my own assumption - that you were having a bad day and really aren't the kind of person that post makes you seem like.

I'm not at all a bad person. I was, however, upset that you kept insisting the answers you were getting from myself and others weren't the right answers.