• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need help finding quotes to support an OC discussion

CliffH

I've been having a on & off conversation with a gent on another board who, while accepting of OC, sees it as "foolish" and other such. He doesn't care if anyone else OC's, it's just not for him or those he associates with. I'm actually trying to get his active support for an OC campaign here in TX.

Recently he stated "As I have talked to people over the past year or so, those who are knowledgeable about guns and tactics and self defense usually laugh at OC."

I don't have a line to any who are "knowledgeable about guns and tactics and self defense", at least not with enough notoriety to suit the discussion. I'm hoping that y'all might point me in a direction where I can get some quotes from people matching that description.

Please move if this isn't the best forum.

OC4me

You pretty much have to stress the deterrence effect of OC if debating tactics. A few other positives come to mind such as you have an easier draw and can carry a bigger, more effective sidearm with less hassle. Many CCers carry the popular .380 caliber pocket pistols, so they are giving up effectiveness in exchange for conceability. I've seen someone put it this way "CC gives you surprise, but OC gives you deterrence, effectiveness and education".

Perhaps its a wash, but I prefer OC for its educational benefits which CC can never provide and as such I believe that OC ultimately furthers gun rights, which itself is a good thing in that it has an overall downward pressure on crime and positive influence on liberty.

Last edited:

eye95

If OC is not right for this person, I recommend supporting his choice, especially if he still chooses to carry, just concealed.

Your respect for his constitutional choice is the best way to engender his respect for the choice to OC. If he respects that choice, he may come to politically support it. If he doesn't respect your choice, he won't ever politically support it.

Don't worry about a single individual becoming an advocate for OC. The sum total of your dealings with others will, over time, earn many converts, if you are always mature, civil, respectful, and rational about the choices people make about how and whether to carry.

I'll leave it to others to share with you the best words on OC v. CC or NC. I will just urge you to always present those words with the utmost respect for the carry choice of the person to whom you are speaking.

CliffH

I respect his preferred method of CC, it's his choice to make, and I'm not going to try to convince him change it. I'd like his help in our efforts because he's well connected in some circles where we need an advocate.

My main quest at this time is to find quotes from or get in touch with some of the recognised experts in the self defense field who support OC. I can use this to counter the opinion that his "experts" have made regarding OC.

The LA site looks like a good resource to have bookmarked. It's going to take more than an hour or so to give it a good read.

ETA: The first 3 topic links I chose at the LA Carry site lead me to GlockTalk; with 2 messages that I'd have to join their site in order to read the threads and one message saying that the thread couldn't be found. I don't have a problem per se about signing up at GlockTalk, but being directed to another site without warning just seems a bit unprofessional....

Last edited:

Daylen

Why OC is better?

-more comfortable
-no worries about "printing" so larger handguns are easy.
-no need to ask permission
-tactical advantage: faster and simpler draw.

Last edited:

CliffH

Gentlefolk

While I appreciate all your input, I have been arguing in support of OC myself for almost 10 years now. I know the most prevalent arguments. There's no need for you to use your time and this fine site's bandwidth answering a question I didn't ask.

I have run across one gent who's presented that his "experts" laugh at the thought of OC. This is the first time I've ever heard of any "experts" laughing at OC. While I'm sure there may be some who do, there must be one or more who don't scoff at the idea of OC. Hence my previous request:

My main quest at this time is to find quotes from or get in touch with some of the recognized experts in the self defense field who support OC.

If anyone has some leads in that direction I'd sincerely appreciate hearing from you.

As for the post that calynn linked to; that is a very well thought out & written post. Thank you for the link. I envy the skills of the person who wrote it.

Last edited:

Daylen

Gentlefolk

While I appreciate all your input, I have been arguing in support of OC myself for almost 10 years now. I know the most prevalent arguments. There's no need for you to use your time and this fine site's bandwidth answering a question I didn't ask.

I have run across one gent who's presented that his "experts" laugh at the thought of OC. This is the first time I've ever heard of any "experts" laughing at OC. While I'm sure there may be some who do, there must be one or more who don't scoff at the idea of OC. Hence my previous request:

My main quest at this time is to find quotes from or get in touch with some of the recognized experts in the self defense field who support OC.

If anyone has some leads in that direction I'd sincerely appreciate hearing from you.

As for the post that calynn linked to; that is a very well thought out & written post. Thank you for the link. I envy the skills of the person who wrote it.

Odds are you won't find a "recognized expert" that is supportive of OC. Most "recognized experts" are such because they make money through books or training. CC is very conducive to their market OC usually is not. Why I think most of us have posted arguments as we have is that no one has heard of a "recognized expert" that is for OC.

eye95

Odds are you won't find a "recognized expert" that is supportive of OC. Most "recognized experts" are such because they make money through books or training. CC is very conducive to their market OC usually is not. Why I think most of us have posted arguments as we have is that no one has heard of a "recognized expert" that is for OC.

Good point. OCers tend to be independent thinkers, not following set leaders or subscribing to set experts.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I've been having a on & off conversation with a gent on another board who, while accepting of OC, sees it as "foolish" and other such. He doesn't care if anyone else OC's, it's just not for him or those he associates with. I'm actually trying to get his active support for an OC campaign here in TX.

You have to know when to fish and when to cut bait, CliffH. I wouldn't waste a single second on him.

Recently he stated "As I have talked to people over the past year or so, those who are knowledgeable about guns and tactics and self defense usually laugh at OC."

Send him here. Plenty of us know plenty about guns and tactics and self defense. You don't see us laughing at OC.

Or ask him why LEO's OC rather than CC.

I don't have a line to any who are "knowledgeable about guns and tactics and self defense"...

(ahem...)

...at least not with enough notoriety to suit the discussion.

I've only been called "notorious" on two occasions. But I'm sure I could fake it...

I'm hoping that y'all might point me in a direction where I can get some quotes from people matching that description.

Look at the signature blocks of the members here. They're full of quotes.

CliffH

Good point. OCers tend to be independent thinkers, not following set leaders or subscribing to set experts.

Should have figured we'd all be fundamentally the same.

You have to know when to fish and when to cut bait, CliffH. I wouldn't waste a single second on him.

Our discussion wasn't/isn't a big deal, just didn't want to leave it without responding to his claims

Send him here. Plenty of us know plenty about guns and tactics and self defense. You don't see us laughing at OC.

Or ask him why LEO's OC rather than CC.

He's actually a LEO himself....

(ahem...)

My bad - I didn't mean that to sound as it did

I've only been called "notorious" on two occasions. But I'm sure I could fake it...

LOL

Thanks to all who've taken the time to respond. Guess this hunt's over for now....

heresyourdipstickjimmy

I don't have a line to any who are "knowledgeable about guns and tactics and self defense", at least not with enough notoriety to suit the discussion. I'm hoping that y'all might point me in a direction where I can get some quotes from people matching that description.

Please move if this isn't the best forum.

Allow me to play devil's advocate for a second.

Carrying any firearm without training IS "foolish".

That said, remind that individual: It's in the Constitution - RTKBA SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED. So you're exercising your Constitutional rights. Rights in plural one might ask? Certainly. It's been put well on this board: A right not exercised is a right lost....or one that the government will promptly attempt to take away as they see it as a threat to their control.

You're exercising your 2A by carrying and you're also exercising 1A by carrying which makes a very loud statement that you will not tolerate a violation of your 2A rights. Is that a loose interpretation? Sure, but if I'm carrying a bloodied doll that looks like a baby outside an abortion clinic am I not also exercising my 1A?

Lastly, an armed populous can still defend itself against a tyrannical government. Ever hear of the American Revolution? The British tried to disarm Americans and it sparked a war. If we allow the government at any level to infringe on our 2A (most every one of them has at some level) then we will assuredly become enslaved by that government. (we're already headed down this road folks)

Last edited:

Daylen

carrying a firearm without any skill or training (training yourself counts) might be foolish but, having the right to be foolish is important. I'm not sure I have ever heard of anyone ever being that foolish. Everyone I know that is enthusiastic enough to openly carry arms seems to be enthusiastic enough to practice at the range regularly.

CliffH

...., having the right to be foolish is important.

That's something that a lot of lib's seem to forget; instead they want to take a persons' right to make that decision.

heresyourdipstickjimmy

carrying a firearm without any skill or training (training yourself counts) might be foolish but, having the right to be foolish is important. I'm not sure I have ever heard of anyone ever being that foolish. Everyone I know that is enthusiastic enough to openly carry arms seems to be enthusiastic enough to practice at the range regularly.

I'm not picking at you on this, just trying to point out something funny with what you posted. I like the post and it's t-shirt worthy by the way.

Oh yeah? Show me where in the Constitution it says "you have the right to be foolish". It's not there, so that means the Fed can take it away! :shocker: (couldn't resist, so thanks for helping me there)

Last edited:

Daylen

I'm not picking at you on this, just trying to point out something funny with what you posted. I like the post and it's t-shirt worthy by the way.

Oh yeah? Show me where in the Constitution it says "you have the right to be foolish". It's not there, so that means the Fed can take it away! :shocker: (couldn't resist, so thanks for helping me there)

It is included in the "pursuit of happyness". Also, the constitution is clear that not all rights are listed, and not being listed does not mean it is a right that can be infringed upon.

eye95

Let us change this a wee bit:

I've been having a on & off conversation with a gent on another board who, while accepting of RKBA, sees it as "foolish" and other such. He doesn't care if anyone else owns/carries a gun, it's just not for him or those he associates with. I'm actually trying to get his active support for an RKBA campaign here in TX.

Any questions?

His choice is a valid one. I'd let him be.