Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: car electrical system repair

car electrical system repair

Does anyone know any place near Troy that works on vehicle electrical systems? I've taken my truck in three times to a repair shop near me and they can't fine tune the problem I'm having.

My truck (2001 Ford F-150 5.4L) is having some intermittent starting problems. I initially thought it was a bad fuel pump however now I'm doubting it after doing my research. For whatever reason, when my truck doesn't start, if I push down with moderate pressure on the fuel pump relay under the hood, or pull it out and put it back in, it starts fine, giving me heavy indication that the problem isn't my fuel pump in my gas tank.

I replaced the relay, cleaned the sockets with electronic cleaner, and even put dielectric grease on the prongs of the relay to really secure the connection. It still happens however, especially when there's a lot of moisture in the air.

Maybe someone can be of some help?
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Sounds like the relay harness may have a loose connection. This is below the relay socket where the wires attach to the relay socket. If there is corrosion where the wires attach to that relay socket it can do exactly what you describe. Ford is know to have corrosion issues sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by malignity View Post
    Does anyone know any place near Troy that works on vehicle electrical systems? I've taken my truck in three times to a repair shop near me and they can't fine tune the problem I'm having.

My truck (2001 Ford F-150 5.4L) is having some intermittent starting problems. I initially thought it was a bad fuel pump however now I'm doubting it after doing my research. For whatever reason, when my truck doesn't start, if I push down with moderate pressure on the fuel pump relay under the hood, or pull it out and put it back in, it starts fine, giving me heavy indication that the problem isn't my fuel pump in my gas tank.

I replaced the relay, cleaned the sockets with electronic cleaner, and even put dielectric grease on the prongs of the relay to really secure the connection. It still happens however, especially when there's a lot of moisture in the air.

Exo 22:2 "If anyone catches a thief breaking in and hits him so that he dies, he is not guilty of murder.
    Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luk 11:21 "When a strong man, with all his weapons ready, guards his own house, all his belongings are safe.

Looks like a common problem.

http://www.fordf150.net/forums/viewt...p?f=21&t=85258

The PCM relay (next to the fuel pump relay) must function in order for the f/p relay to function. Although these two relays appear to be the same, they are not, The PCM relay should be replaced w/ a PCM relay & F/P relay w/ F/P relay. It's not uncommon for them to fail, one very soon after the other.

also

http://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-...d-suspect.html

this one below is really interesting there's a fuel pump inertia switch that I saw in several forums as a problem

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/92...n-issue-2.html

Exo 22:2 "If anyone catches a thief breaking in and hits him so that he dies, he is not guilty of murder.
    Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luk 11:21 "When a strong man, with all his weapons ready, guards his own house, all his belongings are safe.

What Bailenforcer said.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

So I took it in to an auto electric repair place...

It acted up twice; it got gave a code for Primary Fuel Pump Circuit Fault, however they couldn't figure out where it was. Every wire tested out perfect.

They replaced the PCM relay for free, and bypassed/rigged the inertia switch completely.

No charge because he said he didn't 'fix' anything. He said if that fixes it, it was an early Christmas present.

I was open carrying, and though normally most people don't notice or give reaction, I will say that his response was the best I've ever gotten.

"Holy fukc! You got a gun on your hip dude."

"Yep, open carry is legal in Michigan."

"Yeah man, I know, but I've never actually SEEN anyone do it. Do you ever get bothered?"

"Nope. Never; want a pamphlet?"

It turned out to be a good day after all. I even used Zig's 'royal flush' reference, and he really enjoyed that and seemed to understand the concept right away.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Glad they got you up and running. I took my van in for wiring repairs a month ago. They said they fixed. I picked it up, drove 2 miles when smoke started coming through the dash and the van died. Opened the hood to find all the wiring was cooked. They refuse to fix it now saying it's not their fault. I'm waiting to see what the judge says.

Quote Originally Posted by sprinklerguy28 View Post
    Glad they got you up and running. I took my van in for wiring repairs a month ago. They said they fixed. I picked it up, drove 2 miles when smoke started coming through the dash and the van died. Opened the hood to find all the wiring was cooked. They refuse to fix it now saying it's not their fault. I'm waiting to see what the judge says.
    Oh hell man.. where did you take it? We live relatively close to each other, and there's not that many auto electric places in the area.

Banned
    there is a time and place for everything. Computers belong on the desk, and in the radio, GPS, or radar detectors, not the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    there is a time and place for everything. Computers belong on the desk, and in the radio, GPS, or radar detectors, not the engine.

What are you talking about? Computer controlled cars are very reliable. Far more so than the old point ignition, carb heaps that came before.

How many of the pre computer cars got driven to 300,000 plus miles with no major problems?
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Banned
    I really can't see a toyota corolla gracing the floors of barrett jackson 35 years from now. And the sound of a rice burner or even a BMW doesn't compare to the sound of a late 60's small block . Just pop the hood on a 68 camaro, and a 96 like mine, and tell me which one is easier to work on. I like my 96, but dang, its about impossible to work on, and way more expensive. Usually when something is wrong, its some sensor somewhere, not actually something wrong. If the sensor wasn't there, the car wouldn't have needed the repair to begin with.

I hope it is finally fixed, and I am glad you have such a great OC experience added to that.

So I took it in to an auto electric repair place...

It acted up twice; it got gave a code for Primary Fuel Pump Circuit Fault, however they couldn't figure out where it was. Every wire tested out perfect.

They replaced the PCM relay for free, and bypassed/rigged the inertia switch completely.

No charge because he said he didn't 'fix' anything. He said if that fixes it, it was an early Christmas present.

I was open carrying, and though normally most people don't notice or give reaction, I will say that his response was the best I've ever gotten.

"Holy fukc! You got a gun on your hip dude."

"Yep, open carry is legal in Michigan."

"Yeah man, I know, but I've never actually SEEN anyone do it. Do you ever get bothered?"

"Nope. Never; want a pamphlet?"

It turned out to be a good day after all. I even used Zig's 'royal flush' reference, and he really enjoyed that and seemed to understand the concept right away.

I really can't see a toyota corolla gracing the floors of barrett jackson 35 years from now. And the sound of a rice burner or even a BMW doesn't compare to the sound of a late 60's small block . Just pop the hood on a 68 camaro, and a 96 like mine, and tell me which one is easier to work on. I like my 96, but dang, its about impossible to work on, and way more expensive. Usually when something is wrong, its some sensor somewhere, not actually something wrong. If the sensor wasn't there, the car wouldn't have needed the repair to begin with.

hmmm well to me the newer stuff is far easier to diagnose. But then it is what I do.

For the record, bypassing the inertia switch is very dangerous. It is meant to cut off fuel in case of a collision. It is a simple spring loaded switch that is either released or engaged, that's it. The relay problem is totally unrelated to that switch. You should check the old relay for ants in it. Yes ants, they are attracted to the heat.. They will climb in there and cause all sorts of intermittent problems. You should definetely put the inertia switch back.
    This site has been hijacked by leftists who attack opposition to further their own ends. Those who have never served this country and attack those who do are no longer worthy of my time or attention.

Banned
    +1 on the inertia switch, they either work, or they don't.

+1 on the inertia switch, they either work, or they don't.
    Actually that is not really true as I have seen hundreds of intermittent over on IATN that were traced to the inertia switch works one day not another. Usually it is a sign that the magnet in the switch is getting weak or has cracked and is not holding the steel ball well enough.

Banned
    thanks. learn something every day.

thanks. learn something every day.

The thing to remember is if it is a ford and intermittently cuts out like you turned off the key... and everything else checks out then you need to suspect the inertia switch!

Banned
    Ford, they circled the problem. hahaha.

The inertia switch on this model isn't magnetic. It's spring loaded. The best way to test it is simple.

#1 bump the switch with your hand until you hear it go " boiiing"

#2 unplug and remove the switch ( you'll need a 1/4" socket and ratchet)

#3 using a multimeter measure the resistance in the switch. After it boings it should read open ckt. ( OL, ohms, high resistance

#4 press the red reset button until you feel it click into place. Retest the resistance, it should now read less than 5 ohms. If all of this checks, the switch is good.

I've been working on fords my entire life, I now work as a Ford Technician at a dealership and I have never seen an inertia switch have intermittent problems. It's either good or bad, and they very rarely if ever go out. Bottom line, it's a vital safety device designed to prevent firey death in case of a fuel leak in an impact. PUT IT BACK.
    This site has been hijacked by leftists who attack opposition to further their own ends. Those who have never served this country and attack those who do are no longer worthy of my time or attention.

It is nice however to be able to plug the IDS laptop into it and monitor just about everything from which cylinders are hitting, evap system leaks, monitor fuel trim, and best of all freeze frame data. So when some punk kid with a new Mustang mommy and daddy paid for swears "Honestly, I was doing 70 on the freeway in 5th gear when the motor just seized up, that should be covered by the warranty" You print out this wonderful page from the PCM's memory that shows you speed, rpm's and what gear he was in. So when it sets a maximum speed reached code, and the rpm's read 8000, eeeerrrr. Wrong answer. Also, you can't hotwire a ford. If the tranciever doesn't recognize the chip in the key, the pcm won't give fuel, spark, or engage the starter. Technology is a pain in the ass, but if you understand it, it's not so bad.

Banned
    In know, but it is expensive. Sometimes prohibitively so.

I had a chip in the camaros key too. The ignition was so worn when I bought the car, that it wouldn't always line up properly, causing the security system to trigger, and leave you stuck for 4 minutes until it reset. Not an ideal situation if leaving a firefight. (hold on Mr. Bad Guy, my computer says no, I can't leave yet). When I replaced the loose steering column, I fixed that. I ziptied the old key into the old lock cylinder, and tied that up under the dashboard. The new column, new key, and new lock cylinder are computer free, but otherwise operate normally. Computer reads the old chip, and it's happy, car goes vroom! Never liked it much when computers tell me "I ain't gonna"

Banned

Thumbs up

I do like the 20mpg that the computers are giving me. Not bad out of a 350 V8 camaro.

If the problem fixes itself in a week or so, I'll be sure to get it fixed. I'm big on safety, and have no intention on putting myself in harms way. Just don't know if I can do it myself.

I used to have a 1979 3/4 ton Ford Van with a 351 Windsor Engine. I got consistently 2 MG highway and 18 city even thought it was rated at 12 and 15. It was the full length van not a shorty. No comuters on that van, and I frequently tested the mileage to see if it was some odd fluke, and it was not.

I do like the 20mpg that the computers are giving me. Not bad out of a 350 V8 camaro.

Banned
    2mpg And it wasn't leaking gas Holy crap What were your quarter mile and 0-60 times, they must have been fabulous

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast