• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

car electrical system repair

stainless1911

Banned
In know, but it is expensive. Sometimes prohibitively so.

I had a chip in the camaros key too. The ignition was so worn when I bought the car, that it wouldn't always line up properly, causing the security system to trigger, and leave you stuck for 4 minutes until it reset. Not an ideal situation if leaving a firefight. (hold on Mr. Bad Guy, my computer says no, I can't leave yet). When I replaced the loose steering column, I fixed that. I ziptied the old key into the old lock cylinder, and tied that up under the dashboard. The new column, new key, and new lock cylinder are computer free, but otherwise operate normally. Computer reads the old chip, and it's happy, car goes vroom! Never liked it much when computers tell me "I ain't gonna"

malignity

If the problem fixes itself in a week or so, I'll be sure to get it fixed. I'm big on safety, and have no intention on putting myself in harms way. Just don't know if I can do it myself.

Bailenforcer

I used to have a 1979 3/4 ton Ford Van with a 351 Windsor Engine. I got consistently 2 MG highway and 18 city even thought it was rated at 12 and 15. It was the full length van not a shorty. No comuters on that van, and I frequently tested the mileage to see if it was some odd fluke, and it was not.

I do like the 20mpg that the computers are giving me. Not bad out of a 350 V8 camaro.

NRAMARINE

If the problem fixes itself in a week or so, I'll be sure to get it fixed. I'm big on safety, and have no intention on putting myself in harms way. Just don't know if I can do it myself.

It's only 2 wires and a plug. It's essentially a plunger switch ( spring loaded ) designed to open the circuit and cut off the fuel in case it is tripped. What they probably did was splice the two wires together to keep the ckt closed and eliminate the switch. Thing is, if that switch gets tripped, it won't reset itself like a ckt breaker. You have to manually push it in to reset it.

Michigander

hmmm well to me the newer stuff is far easier to diagnose. But then it is what I do.

And it's only getting easier. Some of the newest computer systems for cars are startlingly easy to work on. Rather than have to guess at what the symptoms indicate and bring out a bunch of diagnostic tools, the scan tool just points you in the right direction. And as I said, some of the newest ones in some cases pretty much just tell you exactly what's wrong.

The biggest problem it poses is that it encourages some lazy mechanics to become lazy and keep changing parts until it works right. Also it allows auto parts stores to scan people's cars, then tell them they need new parts when in fact there may very well be nothing wrong with the part. And I do sympathize with how complicated it can seem for someone who doesn't have the needed scanners and other tools. But even still, a cheap repair manual, jumper wires, switching relays and fuses, and even just a simple harbor freight grade volt meter will go a very long way for diagnostics.

stainless1911

Banned
One issue I had was with the Festiva, it had an old computer system (obd1?) and the thing had an intermittent problem that we and a couple shops never found. Apparently the computers then didn't have a memory, so if you werent hooked to the diagnostics at the time the gremlin showed up, then you couldn't readf the problem. One of the mechanics drove the car hooked up to the machine for a week, and couldn't find it. Of course, as I was driving it home, it started acting up again. Thankfully the newer computers can remember what they did wrong.

M

McX

i tell ya; you boys aint lived until you've had these experiences:

no oil on the stick when the car comes in. customer cant figure out why engine runs slow, rough, and wants to overheat.

fishing a dead cooked cat out from the engine compartment.

fixing the damage done by jiffy-joints and their 'qualified' staff.

stainless1911

Banned
oh oh, I got one! When I got the camaro, I noticed carbon on the joint between the exhaust manifold and the cat pipe. I was looking for the source of a check engine light. Well, there are 3 studs on each side that hold the exhaust system to the car, 2 sets of 3, one set on each side for those who don't know. Well, someone broke off one of the studs on the engine side, and decided not to to repair the problem properly, this jackwagon decides to use some engine sealant to "glue" the broken stud back into the exhaust manifold.:banghead:. Its not exactly an easy repair, especially on a 4th gen Z-28, but come-on now.

Last edited:

malignity

Well, still having the same issues.

So far I'm trying to determine the things its not.

Fuel Pump Relay: REPLACED
PCM Relay: REPLACED
Inertia Switch: BYPASSED

When they hooked up their tester, like I said, I got a P0230 Fuel Pump Primary Circuit Fault error, but after another crank, the error vanished and the truck started right up.

Hopefully someone can help me a bit with some questions I still have:

1.) What is included in the Fuel Pump Primary Circuit? Does it include the pump itself or just the wiring? I'm out of ideas, so maybe this really is the issue. Banging on the relay could have been a coincidence.

2.) Does the computer have any effect on the fuel pump?

3.) I do have an OEM security system I believe ( as evidenced by having a flashing 'ANTI-THEFT' light that constantly flashes on my dash while the vehicle is off) and I know on some vehicles such as the Oldsmobile Alero, the security system can screw up and block fuel flow to the engine. Is this how the F150 system works as well? Would I receive that error message if it was the security system?

Thanks for any help.

NRAMARINE

If the theft light is flashing fast with the key in it's a problem with the pats ( security) system. If not then no. The pcm commands the fuel pump on and off as well as supplies ground. Yes the fuel pump is part of the primary ckt.

My advice, take it to your local dealer, so it can be properly diagnosed the first time.

Last edited:

malignity

I took it to the dealership today (*cringe*) and it perplexed the mechanic there so much he wanted to take it home with him for no extra charge. I'm tired of fighting with it and need it fixed so I agreed and told him to keep it until he finds the problem because as much as I like the damn thing, I'm a my wits end and if he can't find a solution then I'm trading it in for something else.

HawlingFLye

@ malignity,
I don't know which Troy you're referring to, but I know here we have an Indianapolis electrician service that might be able to run a diagnosis. And sorry if I'm responding now, hopefully you were able to find what you were looking for, if not, search this is an option.

hermannr

You haven't told us what fixed your problem????

As to electronics...got to love them. I have an old (73) F250 390 4X4 10 mpg, doesn't matter what you do. When I built that engine back in 85 it dino'd at 295 hp and 435flbs (probably half that now with 168K on it) but the milage is not so good. I also have a fuel injected, first generation computer controlled 86 Bronco. 20 to 24 MPG (that one has over 400K mles on it)

Now my driver is a 300 hp 3.0 l supercharged Audi A6 Quattro, fully computer controlled,,,30 mpg on the highway if I behave myself. Less than 1/2 the engine size, 3 times the gas milage. 135k on it and have only replaced the alternator (mice).

Last edited:

carry for myself

either the fuel pump relay, relay ground or ECU. if it were a starter issue. there is only 10ft of wire to go through but it sounds like a relay or ECU issue to me