• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I feel like a kid at Christmas!

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
I love my EAA Witness; I really do. I even like the caliber (.45). Unfortunately my right wrist is partially fused and what's left doesn't have a whole lot of cartilage in it. This means that, while I can take the recoil things could be better Ya' know?

For the past two years I've been considering getting a .40 cal. conversion kit for the Witness. A few months ago I decided the snap of a .40 wouldn't be much different from the recoil of the .45, as far as my wrist is concerned, so I decided to go with a 9mm kit.

It should be here Thursday or Friday! :monkey:monkey:monkey

Metalhead47

I love my EAA Witness; I really do. I even like the caliber (.45). Unfortunately my right wrist is partially fused and what's left doesn't have a whole lot of cartilage in it. This means that, while I can take the recoil things could be better Ya' know?

For the past two years I've been considering getting a .40 cal. conversion kit for the Witness. A few months ago I decided the snap of a .40 wouldn't be much different from the recoil of the .45, as far as my wrist is concerned, so I decided to go with a 9mm kit.

It should be here Thursday or Friday! :monkey:monkey:monkey

Have you considered a heavier recoil spring to reduce felt recoil? I would think 9mm would be harder on your wrist, it's always seemed "snappier" vs .45's "shove" to me.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Have you considered a heavier recoil spring to reduce felt recoil? I would think 9mm would be harder on your wrist, it's always seemed "snappier" vs .45's "shove" to me.

Shhhhhhh! I just, essentially, bought a new gun.

Seriously, since this is an alloy frame gun I think the 9mm will be fine. Besides, the ammo is cheaper.

Last edited:

joeroket

My wife and I have an agreement to buy our own gifts from each other, thereby receiving the exact gift we each want. I'm thinking about a Glock 23, .40 cal, 4.02" barrel length, standard 13 round magazine with 15/17 available. Anyone have one of these? Comments?

http://tinyurl.com/cykezw

I used to own a 2nd gen G23 and I loved the hell out of it. I now have a 2nd gen G22 but I liked the G23 better.

cbpeck

I think the conversion kit for your Witness will be great. 9mm was probably a wise choice. In many ways the recoil of a .40 is more aggressive than .45. 9mm should be more tame than the .40 and you're right, ammo is much cheaper. Congrats!

.45ACPaddy

My wife and I have an agreement to buy our own gifts from each other, thereby receiving the exact gift we each want. I'm thinking about a Glock 23, .40 cal, 4.02" barrel length, standard 13 round magazine with 15/17 available. Anyone have one of these? Comments?

http://tinyurl.com/cykezw

GET IT AND SHOOT A TON OF AMMO THROUGH IT!!! :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Wish I still had my Glock 23, but I couldn't afford the ammo at the time. That's on my "list."

Nosrac

Reloading 9mm is dirt cheap compared to what I just realized factory 9mm is going for these days not to mention more expensive calibers. I don't know when that snuck up on me, damn, I must be getting old.

I usually do a lighter powder charge when reloading 45's for target practice. I wonder if that would ease your wrist for target shooting the 45. There's a big difference between push on a factory 45 and my reloads. They still cycle my gun but makes it pleasant for an afternoon of 45 practice.

Still, any reason is a good reason for a new firearm in my book.

Last edited:

amzbrady

"Christmas is coming"

"My wife and I have an agreement to buy our own gifts from each other, thereby receiving the exact gift we each want."​

=============================

My wife and I made an agreement early on, She doesnt buy me tools, and I dont buy her underwear. :lol:

Last edited:

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Any issues with the EAA? FTE, FTF, FTEJ? I have been looking at the all steel version...and the .22 kit.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?item=999119

Hellava good deal!

I haven't had any problems at all with this gun after the first 200 rounds and a few then. The ones I had were all FTF. Maybe a dozen times. MAYBE. They were all with Sellier & Bellot ammo and when I changed ammo the problems went away.

ETA: I paid $460 for mine at Champion two years ago.

Last edited:

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Eureka!

I think the conversion kit for your Witness will be great. 9mm was probably a wise choice. In many ways the recoil of a .40 is more aggressive than .45. 9mm should be more tame than the .40 and you're right, ammo is much cheaper. Congrats!

This was EXACTLY my chain of thought. I was originally going to go to a .40, but decided that the snap was still a bit too much over the long haul.