• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Doug Huffman Has Been Banned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beretta-m9

I am new to this forum under this name but I used another for a short time and left mainly because Doug huffman had to bash nearly every thread I submitted AND he would do everything in his power it seemed to irritate me by name calling. What Doug did on this forum was ALOT of rule breaking I seen it and felt it, I don't care what he contributes when he can only resort to bashing you and others when he doens't agree.

THANK YOU JOHN.

anyone can look up case laws on the net, it's not that hard. there is no real lose in my mind.

Tomas

Is Doug absolutely incorrect in his reasoning for his disdain for the NRA? I think if we all look at the facts over the period of about 75 years, we will see that he is correct. Does it violate forum rules to post about his disdain? Yes. But that doesn't mean he was wrong in his reasoning, it just means that the administrator doesn't want it talked about on his forum.

But here is one of the points that many appear to be missing: Each and every one of us agreed to follow the rules of this site in order to be allowed to post here. Following the rules is a condition of that privilege.

When one does not follow those rules, they have broken their promise. I feel certain that Doug had it called to his attention when he broke rules that he had promised to follow. He continued to break those rules... It is possible that he even privately communicated very negative responses to those warnings (which may indeed have been his final downfall).

Some folks can't learn, some folks refuse to learn, in either case it becomes a constant load on the time and patience of the folks running the site, and eventually one determines that some folks will never learn and it is time to cut losses.

In any large forum, the vast majority of folks never cause a problem that needs official notice, and there a few that take more time and effort than all the rest combined.

PaFOA uses a similar method of moderating. Seems very labor intensive to me though.

Not really all that labor intensive because the server handles all the bookkeeping and tallying, and responds automatically.

Instead of each "incident" being handled individually and more-or-less in a vacuum, similar incidents are handled the same way and don't depend on emotions (how angry something makes the moderator). Makes for much more even-handed moderation.
________

One further thing. A single person CAN NOT read all the posts made here every day. It's just not possible.

The site staff must depend on the members of the site to call attention to problems by flagging problem posts.

Even if there were ten times as much staff, they would still have to depend on the members.

On my big site I have 24 moderators, 8 supermoderators, 2 assistant admins, and myself keeping track of things. (Plus 10 technical staff keeping the hamsters fed.)

We still average about a dozen flagged posts a day and absolutely depend on them to do our jobs.

Flagging a post is not being a snitch, it is simply letting those doing their best at running the site know that there may be something they need to look at. A flag by a member gets attention much faster than just hoping that a moderator will read the post sometime...

(I'm going to crawl back into my hole now. I've said enough about this.) :D

Last edited:

Gunslinger

I offered multiple times to speak face to face with Doug over a beer or his beverage of choice and I was buying. I spent a week on Washington Island and figured it would be a good oportunity for us to work out our differences like Men so that we could move on. Doug basically posted a threat to call the cops if I stepped on his property as he apparently was more interested in bickering on the forum. He boasted in more than one post that since he was retired he had alot of free time on his hands and that a primary hobby of his was to deliberately harass and provoke people on the board... He enjoyed trying to make himself appear clever and intelligent at the expense of others. He created sockpuppets (alternate egos and user names) while accusing other posters of just being a sockpuppet for another.
Respect is something he refused to display. Doug's lack of integrity apparently caught up with him and cost him the use of OCDO as an outlet for his creative mischief.
He will not be missed....
Doug was too enamoured of his own cleverness. In a stand up fight with his intellectual equals--or superiors, he preferred to hit and run. With the less intellectually inclined with respect to acticulation, he loved bullying tactics. I agreed with him some times, thought he was a buffoon at others, and felt his screen name would more appropriately be "Mis-fire." Too bad, as he is intelligent--just not as much as he thinks. But as one who says what he thinks, to the Moderator's dismay at times, I value the same attribute in others--even those I disagree with. Besides, I liked putting his foot in his mouth for him. I'll miss him.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
Does anyone find it odd that Doug and myself have never had one single issue with each other? He never tried to snipe me, or anything else anyone would want to call an attack. Some people would readily attack him due to their own ignorance and being confused by his writing style, and that would open the door for him to retaliate politely and with irrefutable facts.

But Spart has managed to actively assault almost every single active WI member, every single thread that Spart had a part in had "Deleted by admin. for personal attack" or entire threads go missing due to his behavior.

wrightme

Does anyone find it odd that Doug and myself have never had one single issue with each other? He never tried to snipe me, or anything else anyone would want to call an attack. Some people would readily attack him due to their own ignorance and being confused by his writing style, and that would open the door for him to retaliate politely and with irrefutable facts.
I do not recall a preponderance of either politeness or irrefutable facts in such interactions with him.
Nutczak said:
But Spart has managed to actively assault almost every single active WI member, every single thread that Spart had a part in had "Deleted by admin. for personal attack" or entire threads go missing due to his behavior.
Correct. I do return your attention to the thread starter post here.....
And unlike Spartacus, Doug's ban is permanent. He sent me an email this morning in which I think he threatened to use alternates to disrupt the forum (although he may have been proposing marriage for all I understand his gibberish).

In any case, please let me know if you see what you think is a Doug Huffman alternate.

Also, he copied other users here on the email and seemed to imply that they were also conspiring to disrupt the Wisconsin forum with him. Since he placed misguided trust in the security of blind-carbon-copy, I know who those members are and will be keeping a close eye on their posts. A lot of the high drama on the forum these last few months suddenly makes sense when you look at the intersection of Doug and these other users.

Now ... Wisconsin is on the cusp of something great and we all need to rally behind WCI and stop in-fighting.

John
The two were different, and handled differently. Had Doug chosen different interaction techniques with the site owner, he would have received a different outcome.

AaronS

Doug is my friend, and i would stand for him as i would stand for you. i have no right to debate nor question his motives, or actions. i can only be his friend. if that is choosing sides, then i am guilty, and i should truly bow out of any further discussions here.

It it because of posts like this, that I would stand by you as well. It shows what kind of person you are, and makes me like you even more. I don't think I am choosing your side, it's just that you are that cool.
At this time I can not say much about Doug, but McX, your a good guy in my book any day. :)

wrightme

WHO WILL BE SILENCED NEXT? Till no one left will be heard?
Who? That is entirely up to those who post at OCDO. The next one to be silenced is most likely to be the next one who fails to follow the rules, creating more work for the site owner, until he/she overstays their welcome.

It isn't a grand conspiracy, it is a person policing their property. Those who do not appreciate the way this site is run are free to set up their own; which they can run as THEY see fit.

Last edited:

Tomas

Who? That is entirely up to those who post at OCDO. The next one to be silenced is most likely to be the next one who fails to follow the rules, creating more work for the site owner, until he/she overstays their welcome.

It isn't a grand conspiracy, it is a person policing their property. Those who do not appreciate the way this site is run are free to set up their own; which they can run as THEY see fit.

I believe that is correct. One cannot expect the owner to let the asylum be run by the inmates. They must have control over their property.

Staying on any forum is based on keeping one's promise to follow what usually are very simple and logical rules...

(Just cause I think it might be interesting to some: When working with members who have broken rules on my sites to help them to understand they must follow the rules they promised to follow, the discussion ends immediately and they are summarily banned if they say they will not follow the rules. At that point there is no point to the discussion continuing...)

Deleted_User

From the following thread on post #11.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?83293-Banned

Exactly ... besides actual spammers and anti-gun instigators, there have been fewer than 5 members to get banned in the entire history of the forum and it is something we work very hard to never have to do.

A few things to avoid doing that will almost certainly keep you safe:

- Don't make racist remarks that make us look bad
- Don't make sexist remarks that make us look bad
- Don't make hate-filled anti-(fill in religion here) remarks that make us look bad
- Don't make anti-gay remarks that make us look bad
- Don't make general LEO bashing remarks that make us look bad
- Don't repeatedly and viciously attack others (especially new posters)
- Don't promote illegal activities
- Don't compare the forum to a Nazi Death Camp in an angry, rambling, disjointed diatribe where you also break several of the other rules as well.

You may feel free to guess amongst yourselves which are applicable to recent events.

John

Last edited:

revolverrandy

Doug

I haven't been in here a whole lot lately and I definatley have not been keeping up on everything,but when I did come in here reading this and that,I always though Doug was a bit off and I many times took what he wrote as disrespecting people.
On the other hand,when people read posts on the web,there is alot left to the reader to comprehend as far as emotion,mood,sarcasm,personalty go.Stuff can easily be misunderstood by the reader so I never said anything.
I don't know if he was given fair treatment with the mods or not but I know I won't miss reading his posts.

MKEgal

beating_a_dead_horse.jpg
The term is equinenecroflagillation.
And I find that picture disturbing. Not quite so much as clubbing baby seals, but along those lines.

As for the topic of discussion...
I found his personality & abuse of the rules irritating. The former I learned to ignore, the latter I reported from time to time.
I found his ability & time available to research useful. He came up with info not only in the WI forum, but across the boards.

What it comes down to is that this is Mike & John's place. We're here at their sufferance, and we agreed to play by their rules. I've seen examples of Doug not doing that.
I don't know what went on behind the scenes (thank goodness I'm not one of his CCs!!), but I tend to think that whatever he did had to be pretty serious to get booted rather than a time out.

Teej

The term is equinenecroflagillation.
And I find that picture disturbing. Not quite so much as clubbing baby seals, but along those lines.

In case you're not aware, it's a photoshop. The 3 dudes are from the ~ 1999 movie 'Office Space' in which they were beating the crap out of a laser printer.

M

McX

what's wrong with taking baby seals to the club, they behave, dont eat or drink much.............oh, wait, my mistake!

Lurchiron

what's wrong with taking baby seals to the club, they behave, dont eat or drink much.............oh, wait, my mistake!

They clubz'em, cuz lead is badz for the environment<G>...

FREE Dougie NOW, FREE Dougie NOW; FREE Dougie NOW!!!

DanM

I don't know if [Doug] was given fair treatment with the mods or not . . .

I don't know for certain in Doug's specific case either, but I've been here a while and John and Mike allow people here a lot of latitude in public posts. Therefore, I assume from that very good track record of public mod behavior that if there wasn't something grossly over the line in Doug's public posts (and some are saying there wasn't), then there was something grossly over the line in Doug's communications or behavior elsewhere that the mods became aware of and were relevant to banning him here.

John and Mike strike me as guys who have rather long fuses before they take action like this.

KansasKraut

Hey all. I haven't posted in a while, but I have been lurking. Although I respect the fact that this board is private property, and that the mods can do whatever they like, I feel the need to come to Doug's defense. Even though he might have annoyed a lot of people at times, he was invaluable as a source of information and, dare I say, entertainment. I don't understand how Spartacus can be allowed back after a slap on the wrist while Doug has been banished forever. If you get annoyed or angered by an internet post, then that is, in my opinion, your problem. Take Doug's "Obamanation KMAdollarsigndollarsign" stuff and his bashing of gun groups with a grain of salt, but above all let the man back onto the board for which he has done so much to advance the cause of OC.

Status
Not open for further replies.