• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SCOTUS okays enhanced sentences for armed criminals

Dave Workman

The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled 8-0 with Elena Kagan recused (she worked on the case as Solicitor General) that enhancing prison sentences for the use of a firearm in a crime is legal.

The significance of this ruling should not be lost on veteran Seattle talk show host John Carlson, or on Alan Gottlieb, founder and executive vice president of the Bellevue-based Second Amendment Foundation, nor on former SAF staffer Dave LaCourse. They were the power behind Washington’s landmark “Three Strikes and You’re Out” and “Hard Time for Armed Crime” measures 17 and 15 years ago, respectively.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-...ling-affirms-efforts-of-carlson-and-gun-lobby

Or try this:

http://tinyurl.com/28pbcpa

amlevin

Maybe the medication that the Liberal members of the Court have been taking to control their affliction is finally taking hold. An 8-0 decision on something as "Conservative" as this case is "shocking". Please, shock me some more with more positive rulings like this one.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Is it just me (wishful thinking) or have the last few gun cases been pro gun, with the exception of Vancouver(which I feel will be overturned on appeal).

From another examiner article:
http://www.examiner.com/la-in-los-a...public-federal-ruling-just-after-thanksgiving

December 6th, we should have a ruling in the case of Ed Peruta v County of San Diego et al. If Ed is successful then California will become a "Shall Issue" state which means that police authorities will no longer be able to decide who can and who cannot obtain a license to carry a loaded firearm in public. For most of us, this means a license for Concealed Carry for a couple of million lucky people it means a non-discretionary license to openly carry a loaded handgun as well.

Also in California the Nordyke case (9th Circuit) is being revisited.
We are waiting for a ruling from the 3-judge panel. There is no set
"date" for the opinion to be released It's anybody's guess how long
this may take; perhaps 3-6 months.
The case was filed in 1999. It has been heard by the Ninth Circuit
three times,
including en banc after a sua sponte call for a vote,
and had even passed through
the California Supreme Court on a certified
question. Following the panel’s next
decision, it could well return
before the en banc court, and perhaps reach the Supreme Court

Alan Gottlieb had this to say on the case:
“This is a very important case, because it could establish the
highest standard of scrutiny to which gun laws around the country would
be subjected. While gun prohibitionists were upset by the 2008 Heller
ruling and demoralized by our victory this year in the McDonald case,
they are terrified of a strict scrutiny standard that could be
established by the Nordyke case.”

amlevin

M1Gunr-

I don't think you're dreaming. Sometimes it takes a while for the "Pendulum" to swing back. Just like "Prohibition" and the fiasco it turned out to be, Gun Control is loosing favor as a "lost cause". As WE recognized a long time ago, gun prohibitions do not take guns from the Criminal's hands, just leave the honest citizens unable to defend themselves.

We may not get ALL the rulings we want but we are definitely seeing a change.

Marty Hayes

While I am certainly a law and order type, I have mixed feelings about this. Over the past few years, I have seen the "firearms enhancement" used as a club to attempt to get law abiding citizens to plead to crimes when they had a ligitimate right to use the firearm for self-defense. It raises the ante for armed self-defense, when the details of the case are not clear.

sudden valley gunner

While I am certainly a law and order type, I have mixed feelings about this. Over the past few years, I have seen the "firearms enhancement" used as a club to attempt to get law abiding citizens to plead to crimes when they had a ligitimate right to use the firearm for self-defense. It raises the ante for armed self-defense, when the details of the case are not clear.

Me too, does this mean that if you are driving without realizing your license is suspended and get an infraction they can now enhance it? When will it stop, we have the right to be armed unless the gun is the actual use of the crime i.e. armed robbery, this just another tool for the power to.....

PT111

Me too, does this mean that if you are driving without realizing your license is suspended and get an infraction they can now enhance it? When will it stop, we have the right to be armed unless the gun is the actual use of the crime i.e. armed robbery, this just another tool for the power to.....

I was trying to figure how this is a gun owners victory. Does the mere fact that a person has a gun on them when the commit a crime mean that the crime is worse. This is similar to the hate crime legislation that people are being charged for something that has nothing to do with the crime. Can someone explain it to me in other terms that I seem to have missed? Does it really matter if you kill someone with a gun or a knife?

amlevin

Most driving violations are merely "Infractions" and not subject to Criminal sanctions. The "Firearm Enhancement" type laws are applied for Criminal Violations.

Probably won't get a mandatory 5 years for an expired license as the offense carried no jail time to begin with.

sudden valley gunner

Most driving violations are merely "Infractions" and not subject to Criminal sanctions. The "Firearm Enhancement" type laws are applied for Criminal Violations.

Probably won't get a mandatory 5 years for an expired license as the offense carried no jail time to begin with.

And why I specifically said Suspended license (revoked too) that is a criminal offense.
And can carry for a first offense up to a year in jail, and a $5,000 fine.
They are mostly plead down to traffic infractions but you get some zealous prosecutor who don't like you and then what?

Last edited:

amlevin

And why I specifically said Suspended license (revoked too) that is a criminal offense.
And can carry for a first offense up to a year in jail, and a $5,000 fine.
They are mostly plead down to traffic infractions but you get some zealous prosecutor who don't like you and then what?

Just don't drive on a suspended license. Better yet, don't get it suspended to begin with.

sudden valley gunner

Just don't drive on a suspended license. Better yet, don't get it suspended to begin with.

Nice sidestep.

You are not always aware of when you are suspended, trust me suspended twice in one year without knowledge of suspension.

So you would agree that person exercising in his right to travel freely upon our roads should get 5 years enhanced because he happen to be exercising his right to bear arms at the same time?

amlevin

You are not always aware of when you are suspended, trust me suspended twice in one year without knowledge of suspension.

Most people are aware of a pending suspension before happens just by the "infractions" they commit and whether or not they have complied with Court rulings, fines, etc. Don't appear for Court= Suspension. Don't pay fine=Suspension. Too many Tickets=Suspension DUI=Suspension. Etc. Etc, Etc,

Hard to believe that a Suspension was a TOTAL surprise. But then again, some people have all the luck.

sudden valley gunner

Most people are aware of a pending suspension before happens just by the "infractions" they commit and whether or not they have complied with Court rulings, fines, etc. Don't appear for Court= Suspension. Don't pay fine=Suspension. Too many Tickets=Suspension DUI=Suspension. Etc. Etc, Etc,

Hard to believe that a Suspension was a TOTAL surprise. But then again, some people have all the luck.

Actually my public defender on the first incident said it happens quite a bit.
Like when your address on your license is not your mailing address. We don't get mail here where I live. And you left out clerical error, like when your local authorities decide to put all payment on one fine letting the other go over the limits......hmmm...on purpose maybe.

Still doesn't change the fact that it is criminal and would be a ridiculous reason to get enhanced.

joeroket

Washington's firearm enhancement is codified to only be applied in Felony sentencing. The length of the additional jail time is also dependent on the class of felony convicted of.

sudden valley gunner

Washington's firearm enhancement is codified to only be applied in Felony sentencing. The length of the additional jail time is also dependent on the class of felony convicted of.

But where will it stop? I think there are crimes that are considered felony but the firearm had nothing to do with the crime so should not be an issue in the sentencing. Yet that often becomes one of the main focus points of conviction or trial. OMG!!!!! they got into a fight and had a gun in the diaper bag in the car.

JoeSparky

Centurion
While I am certainly a law and order type, I have mixed feelings about this. Over the past few years, I have seen the "firearms enhancement" used as a club to attempt to get law abiding citizens to plead to crimes when they had a legitimate right to use the firearm for self-defense. It raises the ante for armed self-defense, when the details of the case are not clear.

My feelings on this are---- Don't criminalize the possession of a firearm. But, crimes committed with the firearm ACTIVELY USED, not just present, should be prosecuted with a dangerous weapon enhancement....

And with regard to your statement about the State's use of the firearms enhancement as a club against those exercising self defense or defense of others.... The State should have to prove that the accused did not perform the actions as self-defense or defense of others, instead of the victim having to prove that they did! You know, that old standard----"INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY"!

A recent case in Arizona demonstrated the need for the above standard!

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion

Actually, in Utah since I truthfully reported my medical status as one with Diabetes I now get an annual letter/form that must be completed by a health-care professional and returned by mail or fax. Failure to return will result in an automatic suspension/revocation of my driving privilege WITHOUT further notice from the State.

The first clue that I would have that the State didn't get or process my form would be when the officer tells me that my license has been suspended or revoked AFTER I HAVE BEEN PULLED OVER!

Last edited:

amlevin

Actually, in Utah since I truthfully reported my medical status as one with Diabetes I now get an annual letter/form that must be completed by a health-care professional and returned by mail or fax. Failure to return will result in an automatic suspension/revocation of my driving privilege WITHOUT further notice from the State.

The first clue that I would have that the State didn't get or process my form would be when the officer tells me that my license has been suspended or revoked AFTER I HAVE BEEN PULLED OVER!

I understand what your saying but my original point was people know of circumstances in advance that can get their license suspended or revoked. Even in your case, you know of the conditions the State placed on your license. If I were in similar circumstances I would MAKE SURE that the document was received by the State DOL. If it was here in Washington I would take it directly to the DOL office. At the least I would send it Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested. If I didn't receive the "Green Card" back within a few days of mailing, I'd call and check.

Again, people know of the circumstances before. Most suspensions/revocations are due to FTA, Failure to Pay Fine or Restitution, or additional violations of terms and conditions imposed by a Court.

TechnoWeenie

Same goes for the seizure laws.

Lets say some guy makes a bad choice and decides to solicit a prostitute...

Well, that same guy who made a bad choice, also has a CCW, so now he's committing the crime while armed, which jumps it up to a felony. His car was used to drive him to the area that he solicited the prostitute.... Used in the commission of a felony, so now his car is seized.

So, a guy who wanted some poontang real bad, is now a convicted felon, serving a mandatory minimum 5 years in jail, and the government 'stole' his car...

:cuss:

sudden valley gunner

Same goes for the seizure laws.

Lets say some guy makes a bad choice and decides to solicit a prostitute...

Well, that same guy who made a bad choice, also has a CCW, so now he's committing the crime while armed, which jumps it up to a felony. His car was used to drive him to the area that he solicited the prostitute.... Used in the commission of a felony, so now his car is seized.

So, a guy who wanted some poontang real bad, is now a convicted felon, serving a mandatory minimum 5 years in jail, and the government 'stole' his car...

:cuss:

Exactly some poor smuck who couldn't get laid and was desperate enough to pay for it is now a criminal and a felony and gets enhanced to boot.