• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Banned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
For those of you that have been on the forum for a while you might have had a discussion or two with Doug Huffman (member since 2006). Doug helped me out a few times and was a researcher who could find some of the most obscure laws and show you how they fit to your particular issue. He was out spoken and sometimes went off the deep end and that at times upset folks (we have a few of those in Washington State as well). His knowledge & dedication will be missed.

John Pierce posted info in the Wisconsin forum that you can read here:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?83286-Doug-Huffman-Has-Been-Banned

amlevin

It would appear, by reading the posts on the WI site, that he was banned more for what went on in PM's with the Forum Owner than his direct actions on the Forum itself.

We should all keep in mind that while we are entitled to express our opinions, we should do so with respect for the sensibilities of others. We can disagree, get mad, blow off some steam, but threats to do harm or disrupt are out of order.

As for the ramblings of this banned party, I just clicked on to another post or topic. Just like the some others that are not banned (yet?).

Deleted_User

For those of you that have been on the forum for a while you might have had a discussion or two with Doug Huffman (member since 2006). Doug helped me out a few times and was a researcher who could find some of the most obscure laws and show you how they fit to your particular issue. He was out spoken and sometimes went off the deep end and that at times upset folks (we have a few of those in Washington State as well). His knowledge & dedication will be missed.

John Pierce posted info in the Wisconsin forum that you can read here:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?83286-Doug-Huffman-Has-Been-Banned

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
It had to be pretty concerning to the owners of the forum to make this choice and likely many things were taken into consideration.

The Washington forum has had some pretty heated discussion in where I and many others have been involved in and likely did not reach the level in which this current decision was made, was not in haste.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
That's why I have stopped posting when I have had too much too drink. For the most part, anyway!

I got banned from two other forums for my open carry and 4th amendment views. I love this forum and the fact that we can have heated debates and I think it would take something serious for a member to get banned, so I am sure it was no small situation.

How did that Toby Keith Song go? You're not as much fun since you quick drinking? :lol: or something like that LOL or was it "Get Drunk and Be Somebody" :lol: Oh Heck it's a party! :monkey:banana:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
No BigDave, its "you ain't much fun since I quit drinkin'!" Which is extremely true! :lol::exclaim:

SmileyDrunk.gif

A little light humor...

So if I was to take this literary, since you sobered up, there has been happier times for you, :D Good for You! Good for you!

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
... I think it would take something serious for a member to get banned, so I am sure it was no small situation.

Exactly ... besides actual spammers and anti-gun instigators, there have been fewer than 5 members to get banned in the entire history of the forum and it is something we work very hard to never have to do.

A few things to avoid doing that will almost certainly keep you safe:

- Don't make racist remarks that make us look bad
- Don't make sexist remarks that make us look bad
- Don't make hate-filled anti-(fill in religion here) remarks that make us look bad
- Don't make anti-gay remarks that make us look bad
- Don't make general LEO bashing remarks that make us look bad
- Don't repeatedly and viciously attack others (especially new posters)
- Don't promote illegal activities
- Don't compare the forum to a Nazi Death Camp in an angry, rambling, disjointed diatribe where you also break several of the other rules as well.

You may feel free to guess amongst yourselves which are applicable to recent events.

John

Tomas

Just a quick question, John...

I know that myself as an Admin elsewhere always feel a sense of personal failure, a letdown, when I am forced to ban a member.

I'm always followed around by thoughts and second-guesses, wondering if there were any other way I could have managed things to keep them around.

You too?

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. Anytime we lose an actual member, it is a personal failure. :(

John

Just a quick question, John...

I know that myself as an Admin elsewhere always feel a sense of personal failure, a letdown, when I am forced to ban a member.

I'm always followed around by thoughts and second-guesses, wondering if there were any other way I could have managed things to keep them around.

You too?

PT111

I was banned from forum for my pm's to the moderator (not the owner) because he edited one of my posts and refused to acknowledge it publicly. I asked him to make a note that it had been changed by the moderator and he refused. I then demanded he either delete it, put it back or admit that he had changed it and he responded by banniing me completely and permanently. Now there is a post on that forum with my name attached that I did not make. Oh well, life goes on.

Gunslinger

Exactly ... besides actual spammers and anti-gun instigators, there have been fewer than 5 members to get banned in the entire history of the forum and it is something we work very hard to never have to do.

A few things to avoid doing that will almost certainly keep you safe:

- Don't compare the forum to a Nazi Death Camp in an angry, rambling, disjointed diatribe where you also break several of the other rules as well....................

How about a North Vietnamese "Re-education" camp?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.