• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How inclusive is 626.9?

K

kittyhawk63

PC 626.9 states that one cannot carry in a place that the person knows, or reasonably should know is within 1000 feet of a K-12 school. [Firearm] must be transported unloaded in a locked case or vehicle trunk. [One] cannot carry on the grounds of a university without written permission.

Has it been determined that K-12 means any school from K to 12?

Ex.
I have been a principal at several private K-8 grade schools. These were schools that started with kindergarten and finished with 8th grade. Are K-8 schools included even though PC 626.9 above only mentions K-12? I think the answer is obvious, but I am looking for a definitive answer.

It my understanding that charter schools K-12 are also included in the restriction of 1000 feet.

Are any other schools included in the 1000 foot restriction? Ex. Head Start schools? Preschool? Home schools where the child may go K-12th under parents' tutoring? Others?

Thank you for your contributing answers.
kh63

mjones

The PC states K-12 "inclusive." So, any single or multiple of those grades qualifies as establishing a 'school zone'

So, any 'school' providing instruction in any of those grade whether public or private would qualify.

.gov public schools - definately qualify
private schools - definately qualify
charter schools - these can be either private or .gov - very likely apply
home schools - I would say these definately qualify, but this is where 'reasonably knows' becomes invaluable.
preschools - not K-12 - doesn't qualify
I don't have a clue what a "head start" school is...

626.9 (e)(1) "School zone" means an area in, or on the grounds of, a public
or private school providing instruction in kindergarten or grades 1
to 12, inclusive, or within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds
of the public or private school.

K

kittyhawk63

The PC states K-12 "inclusive." So, any single or multiple of those grades qualifies as establishing a 'school zone'

So, any 'school' providing instruction in any of those grade whether public or private would qualify.

.gov public schools - definately qualify
private schools - definately qualify
charter schools - these can be either private or .gov - very likely apply
home schools - I would say these definately qualify, but this is where 'reasonably knows' becomes invaluable.
preschools - not K-12 - doesn't qualify

626.9 (e)(1) "School zone" means an area in, or on the grounds of, a public
or private school providing instruction in kindergarten or grades 1
to 12, inclusive, or within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds
of the public or private school.

Thank you, mjones.

Robin47

Private Schools in California, taught by the parents are not under any laws, other then teaching
the basics.
And a GFSZ is not under the control of the police in a private school. ( Private Property).

"If one owned or carried a gun on that property" Its legal with the "Permission" of the Administrator.
Otherwise all Home Schools in California are Illegal, if man of the house had a pistol on the property.
Stupid laws, never made anyone safe !

Robin47 :) PS. X- Home School-er !

Wc

Corrected

Current state law provides for the legal practice of homeschooling as nonbusiness or nonprofit private schools (is not a student) under sections 48222 and 33190 of the California Education Code, and alternately as tutorial relationships under section 48224.

Homeschool must file an affidavit with the Superintendent of Public Instruction pursuant to Education Code Section 33190.

A private school is a business or nonprofit entity that is required to comply with requirements imposed by the jurisdiction, county, city, or other locality in which it is located, such as zoning, health and safety codes, fire codes, or other local ordinances.

Above all, a list of California private schools that have filed the Private School Affidavit and have six or more "students" is on the CDE Private Schools Web page.

Finally, the person knows, or reasonably should know as stated as above, is a gun free school zone.

And The California Virtual Academies or internet schooling don't meets the GFSZ requirement.

Read it again... "kindergarten" or "grades 1 to 12" is meaning from 1 up to 12. Someplace do have kindergarten only and if they got those under the CDE listed.

Wc

Info

Simple, why isn't your or others head won't starting? ;>() LOL (just kidding... heh, heh)

Head Start, U.S. educational program for disadvantaged preschool children, established under the Economic Opportunity Act of 1964. Aimed initially only at poor children, its purpose was to organize programs that would prepare preschool children for elementary school. Money was appropriated through the Office of Economic Opportunity, which made individual grants to cities and other localities to set up Head Start centers. In 1969 the program was transferred to the Dept. of Health, Education and Welfare (now Health and Human Services). It was later extended to children above the poverty level, whose parents, however, had to pay according to their income.

Robin47

Yep ! Sections 33190 filing an Affidavit and 48222 keeping records of your activities, ('What your teaching).
Are "Demanded", however one should also belong to HSLDA, "Home School legal Defense Association " to
be safe from Government Officials. Some people are like the Brady Bunch, anti- home schooling.

HSLDA is the best $100.00 I ever spent per year ! HSLDA came to my rescue twice, when needed.

Robin47 :)