• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oklahoma Self defense shooting and it's aftermath (from XDTalk)

HeroHog

Oklahoma Self defense shooting and it's aftermath
XDTalk said:
Home Invasion in Oklahoma, mine (<-- OP on XDTalk, not HeroHog!)
We are all ok thanks to my wife. There is no way to prepare for a phone call from your wife while you are at work that go exactly like this:

Me: Hi sweetie!
Wife: I need you home now, I just shot two invaders!
Me: On the way now! (end of call)

Here are a couple of links to the story:

Mother shoots two home invaders - KFOR

Homeowner Shoots Robbers, Kills 1, Police Say - Oklahoma City News Story - KOCO Oklahoma City

Midwest City woman tells police she shot and killed intruder | NewsOK.com

Feel free to search my name here for a post that was titled "What would you do" a couple of months ago. I'm just too tired to find it right now.

We moved everything we own out of the house and into storage for now due to threats against my family. We ended up needing over nine hours of Midwest City PD protection due to this situation. If you are one of them, all I can say is thank you with all of my heart!

Since most of us are here to learn and prepare ourselves for this type of situation, I plan on doing a full right up at a later date to try and help all of us and I would like very must to make it as interactive as possible.

It may be several days before I can get back on here as my like has been turned upside down right now but i welcome your thoughts and comments. The police have my XDm 9mm in their possession and I may not get it back in time for a pistol class I was going to be taking on Sunday but then again a guess I just need my wife to show me what I need to know...

Thanks to all of you over the last year as I visit this site several times daily. Even though I don't say much here I have learned a great deal.
Please review and discuss. THIS is a good 1st hand look at what happens when you are forced to lawfully defend yourself and it isn't pretty, happy or cheap.

Last edited:

TyGuy

So, they moved because they are concerned about gang retaliation? Is that what everyone gathers?

TyGuy

That's scary. Reading the orignal posts it looks like they might be able to move with the AF paying for the move, so that's good, at least they will get out of there.

I do find it strange that they show where the guy lives the day it happens, but they keep the names of the criminal a secret for two weeks.

M

mattwestm

As bad as it sounds, you are a lot better off if you kill the intruder (as long as you were in the right). No trials, only one side of the story to tell, and he probably would get his XD back sooner. The best option is to try to not fire if you don't have to.

That's a scary thought, someone breaking in at night with kids sleeping. I really don't know how I would react. I'd try everything not to pull the trigger, but if I see a weapon, I wouldn't hold back and I'd be afraid for my life. Although, sometimes being caught and seeing a weapon is enough to make the intruder run away.

EDIT: I really don't like how the 911 operator was asking questions. Almost setting her up in a way.

Last edited:

zack991

EDIT: I really don't like how the 911 operator was asking questions. Almost setting her up in a way.

I will only call 911 till after the threat is taken care of or scared off. My wife knows to only tell the operator what is necessary and not to say ANYTHING else. i find most 911 operators as ignorant know it alls that will get people killed. If they start getting preachy to me or her, she knows to make sure "help" is on the way and to hang up because I might need her help or I would want her to get away from the scene to a neighbors home ASAP due to not knowing if there other bad guys in the home.

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

As bad as it sounds, you are a lot better off if you kill the intruder (as long as you were in the right). No trials, only one side of the story to tell, and he probably would get his XD back sooner. .

That is the unfortunate reality, because I will tell you from experience, the POS wakes up and tells one hell of a story...thank goodness there were a dozen witnesses. If it is just you and them, you better hope they don't get back up.

The one that gets me worries is a groups of people attacking you to rob you, you shoot in self-defense, maybe drop one and the rest give up or take off...there are live bodies all around that are going to possibly tell a different story than you.

tcox4freedom

As bad as it sounds, you are a lot better off if you kill the intruder (as long as you were in the right). No trials, only one side of the story to tell, and he probably would get his XD back sooner. The best option is to try to not fire if you don't have to.

That's a scary thought, someone breaking in at night with kids sleeping. I really don't know how I would react. I'd try everything not to pull the trigger, but if I see a weapon, I wouldn't hold back and I'd be afraid for my life. Although, sometimes being caught and seeing a weapon is enough to make the intruder run away.

She did kill one, but two others got away for a short time. It's difficult, if NOt impossible to kill three people all by yourself.

Thanks paramedic & herohog;

I spend most of my time on XDT; and I can tell you this family's life has been turned upside down. A lot of people can learn from their tragedy.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I find most 911 operators as ignorant know it alls that will get people killed.

They're actually reading through scripts known as "Quick Reaction Checklists." When it comes to an armed intruder, they're taught to warn the caller to stay inside and wait for law enforcement. Only rarely will they break from the script and confirm what the operator did in this event.

confedneck

I will only call 911 till after the threat is taken care of or scared off. My wife knows to only tell the operator what is necessary and not to say ANYTHING else. i find most 911 operators as ignorant know it alls that will get people killed. If they start getting preachy to me or her, she knows to make sure "help" is on the way and to hang up because I might need her help or I would want her to get away from the scene to a neighbors home ASAP due to not knowing if there other bad guys in the home.

Tell me about it with the 911 operators. Around here I find them to be lazy, wannabe lawyers with a lot of personal conviction and way too much unreasonable loyalty to the officers.

Ivan Sample

I think the women did the right thing and totally support her and her family. killing someone is not easy but when it comes to being a victim or survival, she had to do what was in the best interest of her and her babies and she was justified in doing so. Buglars will think twice before breaking into someone house.