• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Affordable Practice Ideas (dry-fire?)

leeland

With holidays approaching, my wife and I had a budget/planning talk and my ammo budget is under review. :( Looking at my records of practice, I'm currently shooting around 30 thousand rounds per year (what can I say, I like to shoot...)

My plan this coming year is to replace some of that with dry-fire practice drills. I've heard that good dry-fire practice can be effective, but would like input from forum members experienced in this.

What dry-practice drills work well for you? What (if anything) should I avoid?, etc.

jpm84092

WOW - 30K Rounds/yr

I am a bit envious. I have a pretty good job and I do not believe I could afford to fire 30,000 rounds per year.

You asked about dry-fire. For (most) center-fire handguns and rifles, this practice will not hurt the firearm, unless it is a rim-fire like a .22 - But, dry fire is not as much fun as making loud noises.

leeland

I am a bit envious. I have a pretty good job and I do not believe I could afford to fire 30,000 rounds per year.
Yeah, well the majority of that is .22, and we (wife and I) came to the conclusion that we can't afford it either. :)

You asked about dry-fire. For (most) center-fire handguns and rifles, this practice will not hurt the firearm, unless it is a rim-fire like a .22
I am very cognizant of which of my firearms can dry-fire without damage and which require extra precautions (safety on to block firing pin, snap caps, etc.)

What I really want to know is who has used dry practice and if they have tips for me to make it effective (or if I should just start searching the old web)

sigrscu

What I have found is that for me, dry firing keeps the muscles in my hands strong so I can manipulate the trigger smoothly. Also, if you have a gun mounted laser... Crimson trace grips or a laser light combo, I really find that using the laser when dry firing really helps me with trigger control and breathing, you can tell right away if anything is out of place if the laser is jumping all over. What I would suggest is to grab some dummy rounds instead of snap caps. They usually are close to the weight of a real bullet and can help duplicate the feel of your gun. Not to mention it can help in reloading drills.
And, last but not least, if you have a da/sa gun, it can really help you train for that long first pull. Every gun I own is da/sa other than my kimber 1911. I no longer mind or dread that long first pull. Dry firing can help in so many areas that you couldn't cover them all in one post.

Last edited:

vanceavalon

Dry Practice

Ignatius Piazza, a 4-weapon combat master of Front Sight Firearms Training Institute recommends that 90% of your practice should be dry.

leeland

Thanks for your advice

I like the idea of the laser. I have a cheap little one the I picked up at a gun show for $20. It doesn't hold zero with live fire, but I can finally put it to use. Best thing is, I don't even have to worry about zeroing it when I move it from gun to gun this way.

Not sure where to buy dummy rounds. Presumably it would work if I track down someone with reloading equipment and have them pop some bullets back in some empty brass? Maybe hit the bullet tips with a touch of florescent finger nail polish...

"Ignatius Piazza, 4-weapon combat master" That title has always seemed wrong to me for someone who has never seen actual combat. :)
Don't get me wrong, I have loved Frontsight each time I've been there, but Piazza and his henchman Wes LaHuillier both bug me on a personal level.

wrightme

I like the idea of the laser. I have a cheap little one the I picked up at a gun show for $20. It doesn't hold zero with live fire, but I can finally put it to use. Best thing is, I don't even have to worry about zeroing it when I move it from gun to gun this way.

Not sure where to buy dummy rounds. Presumably it would work if I track down someone with reloading equipment and have them pop some bullets back in some empty brass? Maybe hit the bullet tips with a touch of florescent finger nail polish...

"Ignatius Piazza, 4-weapon combat master" That title has always seemed wrong to me for someone who has never seen actual combat. :)
Don't get me wrong, I have loved Frontsight each time I've been there, but Piazza and his henchman Wes LaHuillier both bug me on a personal level.
Google "Snap Caps." They (or other name) are available at most accessory outlets. Midway comes to mind.

leeland

Father son trigger time (AKA ban on live rounds didn't last long)

Explained to my son today that we might be shooting a bit less this year. He got a sad look, one thing led to another, and pretty soon it was agreed the only thing to do was bust out the MP5s :)

He shot his airsoft (look at that nice aggressive shooting stance) and I put rounds through the real deal.

* MP5k - wearing folding stock, front grip, laser, and Gemtech Raptor-II (still can't shoot that thing well on full-auto, but getting better...)
* MP5-A3 - with my trusty Gemtech multimount (I freaking love that gun). Full-auto mag dump at 25'=5" grouping with a single flier.

Attachments

• father-son-shoot.jpg
    father-son-shoot.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

leeland

Low cost practice for revolver (wax)

One of my goals for this coming year was to get proficient shooting revolvers. Combine that with the new goal of bringing down ammo costs and you get? wax bullets!

(1) Bought some primers and simple hand primer and de-primer tools from a local guy via KSL.
(2) Ordered in some wax bullets and specially reamed brass from http://www.gunfighter.com/waxbullets/
(3) Push a wax bullet into the brass.
(4) Either prime normal brass with a small pistol primer, or just drop a shotgun primer in the specially reamed brass.
(5) Fire! The small pistol primers push the wax out at around 400ft/sec. The shotgun primers get up to 850ft/sec.

I used cardboard targets setup around the backyard. The wax loads put a nice hole right through from 30-40ft (at least when I aim right). Sounds like a loudish cap gun (neighbors didn't mind).

Only problem I see so far is cleaning the gun. Pistol primers don't mess things up much, but the Fiocchi shotgun primers leave melted wax and carbon (they stink too). After just 50 rds, the barrel looked nasty. I'm still experimenting with the best way to clean that garbage out.

Total cost for between 4-5k rounds is about $200, and I get something that goes bang instead of click.

Attachments

• IMG_2743.800x600.jpg
    IMG_2743.800x600.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_2744.800x600.jpg
    IMG_2744.800x600.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_2745.800x600.jpg
    IMG_2745.800x600.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_2746.800x600.JPG
    IMG_2746.800x600.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

Pegasus1976

Leeland it was a pleasure meeting you at quiznos yesterday in centerville. Was fun to get to know you and your wep you open carry. Take care.