Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Knife law?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Mesa,AZ
    Posts
    12

    Knife law?

    I can't seem to find anything on knifes, I'm on Amazon looking at some knifes I'll like to have for work- I was told by my work that they don't care

    So, What's the knife law?

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611
    Arizona knife law preemption
    http://www.kniferights.org/index.php...d=104&Itemid=1

    Arizona statute 13-3120. Knives regulated by state; state preemption; definitions
    http://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatD...13&DocType=ARS

    50 state knife laws
    http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/sta-law.htm
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Mesa,AZ
    Posts
    12
    Hm

    I still don't really understand half of the stuff..

    Can someone help out?

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ng-goods&psc=1
    (That's what I'll be getting)

  4. #4
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Yuma, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    923

    In Arizona, Knives are pretty much unregulated

    Quote Originally Posted by AZTANK View Post
    Hm

    I still don't really understand half of the stuff..

    Can someone help out?

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ng-goods&psc=1
    (That's what I'll be getting)
    The new knife preemption law in Arizona, combined with the Constitutional carry bill, means that if you are 21 years old and not a felon or convicted of domestic violence, you can own and carry knives legally. I have not found any limitations on size or function of knives that you can own and carry.

    Essentially, if you wish to own and carry knives in Arizona, do what you want. It is not a legal issue, it is a personal choice.

    I am not a lawyer, but American law is based on the premise that if it is not forbidden, it is allowed.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Mesa,AZ
    Posts
    12
    Yeah, But.. I'm only 18.. going on 19 in a few weeks

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    97

    Deadly Weapon

    I think the question we need to answer for Tank is this: at what point is a knife considered a deadly weapon?

    I know in some states a knife over a certain length is considered a weapon, while below that it is considered a tool. I've pored over the ARS and can't find an answer to that question.

    Since he's not 21 yet, if it's not a deadly weapon he can put it in his pocket. But if it is, he'd have to put it on his belt.

    I've looked ARS over and can't find anything to answer the question.

    Anybody? Bueller?

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Mesa,AZ
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by DustoneGT View Post
    I think the question we need to answer for Tank is this: at what point is a knife considered a deadly weapon?

    I know in some states a knife over a certain length is considered a weapon, while below that it is considered a tool. I've pored over the ARS and can't find an answer to that question.

    Since he's not 21 yet, if it's not a deadly weapon he can put it in his pocket. But if it is, he'd have to put it on his belt.

    I've looked ARS over and can't find anything to answer the question.

    Anybody? Bueller?
    Thank you.
    I was on the same boat all last night hours and hours looking.

    I still can't find anything to answer my question

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,605
    Federal Laws 18 U.S.C. 922(g)/(n)(1), 18 U.S.C. 922(g)/(n)(8), AND 18 U.S.C. 922(g)/(n)(9) DO NOT apply to: 1. Ordinary Hand-held Weapons, AND 2. Firearms which are considered as Antiques, per Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(16).

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Mesa,AZ
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by aadvark View Post
    Federal Laws 18 U.S.C. 922(g)/(n)(1), 18 U.S.C. 922(g)/(n)(8), AND 18 U.S.C. 922(g)/(n)(9) DO NOT apply to: 1. Ordinary Hand-held Weapons, AND 2. Firearms which are considered as Antiques, per Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(16).
    So, What's this saying? :O

  10. #10
    Regular Member TOF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Happy Jack, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    443
    I do not believe you will find a clear cut (pun intended) definition of an "Illegal Knife" other than a knife used in unlawfull activities.

    A knife larger than a pocket knife (which is excluded by statute) would be considered a dangerous weapon in my opinion. IANAL

    I suggest you give thought to what a reasonable individual might carry and act accordingly.
    If you woke up breathing, congratulations! You get another chance.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Susanville, California, USA
    Posts
    529
    HI Tank,

    Google in the above laws, and read them all.
    You might also Google Knife laws of AZ, and get more Info.

    A pocket knife, fits in your pocket, a sheath knife would be worn on your belt
    yet both are tools and have there own uses.
    I always camp with a sheath knife as I find it easy for my camp work.
    But I always carry a pocket knife on me at all times, also good for many uses daily !
    Have a good day Bro !
    Robin47

  12. #12
    Regular Member Sonora Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    3,958
    AzC Art 2 Sec 26: "THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS IN DEFENSE OF THEMSELVES AHD THE STATE SHALL NOT BE IMPAIRED...." Carry what you will.
    Last edited by Sonora Rebel; 11-27-2010 at 11:12 PM.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Mesa,AZ
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonora Rebel View Post
    AzC Art 2 Sec 26: "THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS IN DEFENSE OF THEMSELVES AHD THE STATE SHALL NOT BE IMPAIRED...." Carry what you will.
    So it's a go?

    Still can't find NO updated stuff about the law still no understanding

  14. #14
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Yuma, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    923

    Arizona law says that a pocket knife is not to be considered a concealed weapon.

    Quote Originally Posted by AZTANK View Post
    So it's a go?

    Still can't find NO updated stuff about the law still no understanding
    The law does not define what a "pocket knife" is, but if it fits in an ordinary pocket, then common sense would be that it was a "pocket knife".

    As long as the knife is not concealed, I believe the age limit does not apply. The age limit is only for concealed weapons.

    So.. What type of knife do you want to carry, and where? There are some places that can limit your carry of nearly anything, such as schools and universities. Most of them, in Arizona, have to provide a means for you to store your weapon if they forbid you to carry it on their premises, although universities have not been tested in a court case on this.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1

    Survival Knife

    I recently got a Field&Stream survival knife. It is approximately 15 inches overall (blade is about 10 inches) and has a sheathe. I am only 16 years old. Is there any way for me to carry it with me in public? Please email me with an answer as i may forget to check this website. My email is mr.garretttharp@gmail.com

  16. #16
    Regular Member Sonora Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    3,958
    Quote Originally Posted by Daarkon View Post
    I recently got a Field&Stream survival knife. It is approximately 15 inches overall (blade is about 10 inches) and has a sheathe. I am only 16 years old. Is there any way for me to carry it with me in public? Please email me with an answer as i may forget to check this website. My email is mr.garretttharp@gmail.com
    You're a minor. Ask your mother.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •