• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT got a ticket need advise

sultan62

Have a little more fun while you're at it! Ask for a jury trial,then raise hell when they refuse and violate your 6th/7th amendment depending on if it's classified civil or criminal.

What constitution?

eye95

Have a little more fun while you're at it! Ask for a jury trial,then raise hell when they refuse and violate your 6th/7th amendment depending on if it's classified civil or criminal.

What constitution?

IIRC, those particular protections in the Constitution do not apply to State or local proceedings, only to federal cases. Each State's constitution should have it's own provisions in this regard. In Alabama, it's Section 6, and only "criminal" proceedings require a jury trial.

IANAL and my be oversimplifying this horribly. If someone with a better knowledge of the law needs to slap me down, have at it.

sudden valley gunner

If I am not mistaken you have a gate? How do they know your dogs are licensed or not? A gate gets rid of the implied invitation to your residence?

Gogo I have some questions for you if you don't mind I'll PM.

amlevin

Neighbor turn you in? Why else would AC come along and issue a ticket unless the dogs were running loose? Maybe the neighbor called turned you in and they just wrote up the tickets and mailed em to ya.

News Flash

Cities and Counties struggle to find money due to poor economy!

That just about sums up all the extra effort on licensing of dogs. For years the statutes have been on the books and relatively unenforced. When the economy went down the "flusher", every bureaucrat started scrambling for sources of cash, probably to insure their survival in the parasitic world of government.

Dogs are an easy target. How many are left alone during the day in yards or even in houses. All an animal control officer has to do is print out a list of existing licenses and the addresses that they are issued to. They then go out and drive up and down the street looking for that dog in the yard, check the list. If no license they knock and if no answer just mail the "Civil Infraction". When the "low hanging fruit" of the dogs in the yard are "plucked" they just go door to door. Easy job finding dogs because all it usually takes is a doorbell or knock and any dog in the house "fruits out". Dead giveaway. Again a check of the list and a mailed "infraction notice" if not licensed.

This is easy money and since this revenue is often targeted to the animal control positions it can protect those jobs from layoff. Just like the Motorcycle cops that are like ATM's for Cities, Counties, and the State, these lowly "dog catchers" are just doing their part.

As for "getting off" on an unlicensed dog ticket? Good luck. Remember, it's only a Civil Infraction and your case may not even be heard in a real court.

Solution: Cats don't bark and give themselves away. You could also train your dog to use "Stealth Mode".

Another little factoid on animal licensing and fines. A neutered animal is usually real cheap to license. One with all their "goodies" can cost more than a car or truck to license.

Nosrac

I read this to mean I can buy the licenses after the ticket is issued but before the court date and only pay the $25.00

Am I wrong?

06.6.060 - Penalty for Violation

Violation of any of the provisions of section 6.06.010, 6.06.020, 6.06.025 or 6.06.030 of this Chapter shall constitute a civil infraction punishable by a fine in an amount not to exceed $250.00; provided, that if the person presents evidence of a valid license to the Court, the charge shall be dismissed upon payment of court costs in the amount of $25.00. (Ord. 313 ? 4, 2003; Ord. 205 ? 5, 1999; Ord. 149 ? 8, 1997; Ord. 40 ? 3 (part),1996.)

This is for the city of Lakewood

I'm wondering if it is the same where Jarhead is located.

Last edited:

amlevin

I read this to mean I can buy the licenses after the ticket is issued but before the court date and only pay the $25.00

Am I wrong?

06.6.060 - Penalty for Violation

Violation of any of the provisions of section 6.06.010, 6.06.020, 6.06.025 or 6.06.030 of this Chapter shall constitute a civil infraction punishable by a fine in an amount not to exceed $250.00; provided, that if the person presents evidence of a valid license to the Court, the charge shall be dismissed upon payment of court costs in the amount of $25.00. (Ord. 313 ? 4, 2003; Ord. 205 ? 5, 1999; Ord. 149 ? 8, 1997; Ord. 40 ? 3 (part),1996.)

This is for the city of Lakewood

I'm wondering if it is the same where Jarhead is located.

Can't answer for the specific location but this is common practice. Even for some vehicle "infractions" like failure to have insurance, current registration, and most of the "mechanical" violations. Get the problem cured and then the fine is reduced to costs.