• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Selleck: "You own a gun?" ... "Should I?" ... "If you know how to use one."

since9

Campaign Veteran
Selleck: "You own a gun?" ... "Should I?" ... "If you know how to use one."

I like Tom Selleck. I loved it when he walked off the whale bi..., er, Rosy I-Done-Her show in resonse to her pathetic attempt to entrap him into all sorts of viral leftist anti-gunner nonsense.

But I liked him best for his Magnum P.I., Quigly Down Under, and High Road to China roles. As an avid shooter, Quigly was just the cat's meow, and as a flyer, well, that period yarn was never a yawn, while "Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines" was little more than three hours of formation flying -as boring on screen as it is in real life. HRTC was way better!

In his role in Jesse Stone, however, he's totally different. Then again, he's a lot older.

So am I.

Last edited:

gsx1138

I love the Jesse Stone series. I've watched all of the movies. The first thing I noticed was how accurate all of the gunplay was. I mean, it's damn near dead on perfect. The stories are pretty good as well.

The first time I saw him carrying his 1911, hammer back, I pointed at the TV and told my wife "oh my God he's carrying it correctly". No gratuitous slide racking or extra clicks after the weapon runs dry. He actually changes magazines using different reloading methods.

Last edited:

eye95

From what I know (very little) I think he insists on portraying gun use accurately. Must PO a lot of Hollywood types.

The Hollywood types like their drop-it-no-you-drop-it scenes where two guys are three feet from each other, pointing guns at each other's faces. Then one of the two punctuates his demand by cocking the hammer.

If I ever get into such a situation (I don't see how), it will be dro..-BANG! (I'll do the BANG!). If I ever have a gun in my face and my gun in the face of that gunman, I'm simply going to pull the trigger (no need to cock the hammer) before he can get the word "drop" out.

since9

Campaign Veteran
HighRoad to China a great movie.

Showing how we used to be able to own our own Airplanes with machine guns attached.

I know! Cool, eh? Not so much now, as Congress passed the National Firearms Act in 1934, which limited ownership and sales of machine guns.

If I ever get into such a situation (I don't see how), it will be dro..-BANG! (I'll do the BANG!). If I ever have a gun in my face and my gun in the face of that gunman, I'm simply going to pull the trigger (no need to cock the hammer) before he can get the word "drop" out.

Exactly.

The only one I will ever tolerate pointing a firearm at me is either a uniformed LEO or a an LEO that has identified or is identifying him/herself as an LEO, preferrably with their badge in plain view.

I would probably tolerate a family member or known good friend pointing a firearm in my direction as well, or even someone who is unknown, but is obviously just being careless (say, at a gun store or at the firing range), but I would only tolerate it for a moment or two. If they're within reach, their gun is mine. If I can duck out, I'd do so before giving a verbal challenge. Regardless, they're going to get a dressing down whether they like it or not, and I don't care if they are three years old or ninety.

Anyone else who points a firearm in my direction will die in less than a second. "Officer, he pointed his gun at me, and I was afraid for my life, so I defended myself. I have nothing else to say, except that I'd like to speak to an attorney."

Last edited:

HankT

State Researcher
The only one I will ever tolerate pointing a firearm at me is either a uniformed LEO or a an LEO that has identified or is identifying him/herself as an LEO, preferrably with their badge in plain view.

So, a plainly-dressed guy who yells "Police" and points a gun at you, without a badge visible, wil be "tolerated" by you? What if he's really a BG and not a GG?

Anyone else who points a firearm in my direction will die in less than a second. "Officer, he pointed his gun at me, and I was afraid for my life, so I defended myself. I have nothing else to say, except that I'd like to speak to an attorney."

What if someone, an armed robber, somehow surprises you (say, as you're turning a building corner on the street, or say, getting out of an elevator) and points a gun directly at you? Do you immediately draw and try to make him "die in less than a second?"

Would not surrender be an option to consider?

Last edited:

KansasMustang

So, a plainly-dressed guy who yells "Police" and points a gun at you, without a badge visible, wil be "tolerated" by you? What if he's really a BG and not a GG?

What if someone, an armed robber, somehow surprises you (say, as you're turning a building corner on the street, or say, getting out of an elevator) and points a gun directly at you? Do you immediately draw and try to make him "die in less than a second?"

Surrender is not an option. IAW the "Code of conduct" I will never surrender if I have the means to fight" If in command I will never surrender my soldiers..."

eye95

Surrender is not an option. IAW the "Code of conduct" I will never surrender if I have the means to fight" If in command I will never surrender my soldiers..."

I wouldn't engage folks in "what if" games. They can endlessly "what if" you, no matter how rationally you reply. It is a trap oft-used by children on adults. As a teacher, I never played. It frustrated the kids that I wouldn't.

Since9 clearly explained his position. Yes, individual circumstances would require tweaking to his stated intentions. He is a clear-thinking and moral adult. I trust his ability to make such tweaks when presented with a slightly-altered set of circumstances.

He is being baited.

HankT

State Researcher

That's a rather inflexible philosophy, KM.

If a person has a gun . . . and it is already pointed at you . . . with purpose . . . at close range. . .while you do not have your own gun out of its holster . . . you would. . . "fight?"

Interesting strategy.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran

Absolutely not. If I see a badge, I'll lower to ready, otherwise I'll demand to see a badge.

If I were just turning a building corner and encountered this situation, I'd repeat the maneuver, but in reverse.

Building corners are usually brick or stone and provide good cover while I draw, come to the ready, and assess the situation from cover.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I wouldn't engage folks in "what if" games. They can endlessly "what if" you, no matter how rationally you reply. It is a trap oft-used by children on adults. As a teacher, I never played. It frustrated the kids that I wouldn't.

Lol, took me until mid-summer of my second year lifeguarding before I figured that one out.

Since9 clearly explained his position. Yes, individual circumstances would require tweaking to his stated intentions. He is a clear-thinking and moral adult. I trust his ability to make such tweaks when presented with a slightly-altered set of circumstances.

Thank you. We may not always agree, but I respect you and your posts for much the same reason.

He is being baited.

I agree. However, "what-if's" serve a useful purpose of mentally working through the various pertubations beforehand. It sure beats trying to pull things out of one's *** on the fly.

eye95

I agree that what-ifs provide good mental exercise. But only if the what-iffer is engaged in helping you exercise. In this case, IMO, the what-ifs are meant to mock what you are saying.

I have faith in you ability to handle this though, so have at it.

RTC

When the other guy opens his mouth to speak, SHOOT!

The Hollywood types like their drop-it-no-you-drop-it scenes where two guys are three feet from each other, pointing guns at each other's faces. Then one of the two punctuates his demand by cocking the hammer.

When the other guy opens his mouth to speak, SHOOT! And aim for a nerve killing zone such as his open mouth (the bullet passes through the brain stem and hopefully shuts down the reflex system), between the eyes, etc.