• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Riding The Bus In Seattle

Beretta92FSLady

It looks like it is at least a 2nd degree felony assault...notwithstanding the vic's injuries are more severe that can be observed in the video.

The victim being the age he is and having whatever physical issues, and the perp being as big as he is...the victim is probably lucky to not have suffered a traumatic brain injury.

amzbrady

Arrested 50 times. Maybe 1 more and he will be rehabilitated. :banghead:

Why is this guy still alive? He has no purpose in our society. What purpose does he serve?

Beretta92FSLady

Why is this guy still alive? He has no purpose in our society. What purpose does he serve?

Statistically, you would think he ran into a OC'r or CC'r...the pos is lucky, that's for sure.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Interesting link...

Also, although it is a jury instruction, I wonder how does it play into the duty to retreat and one's ability to step into the fray (and defense) of the guy on the bus by drawing a weapon to make him sit down and shut up (and being reasonably in fear of bodily injury to self and others), given the open threat made on the video by the perp....and does the level of assault qualify (threatened as well as delivered) for the threshold of force "not more than is necessary"

"I wonder how does it play into the duty to retreat" not sure if you missed typed this, Washington does not have a duty to retreat.

[The law does not impose a duty to retreat.[Notwithstanding the requirement that lawful force be “not more than is necessary,” the law does not impose a duty to retreat. Retreat should not be considered by you as a “reasonably effective alternative.”]

Viewing the video, it is a difficult one as when trying to see how it applies to Ability Opportunity and Jeopardy.
There is no doubt the Ability and Opportunity was present and the level of Jeopardy, did it reach that level until leaving the bus and went after the elderly man did it reach a level of lethal force, prior to that I feel it did reach a level of use of force but not more then necessary.
My earlier post was referring to this very thing, as what would be justifiable for the elderly man versus a healthy able bodied responder what would be considered as reasonable in that match up.
If the responder did not have time to physically able to get their in time or have the ability to physically repel the threat then it would switch back to the imminent threat of the elderly man.

I think this might have been a perfect time for pepper spray though.

Last edited:

devildoc5

This is a PERFECT example of the black gangbanging SCUM of our society that NEVER do anything productive, yet CONTINUALLY get release on account of "they are trying to rehabilitate" Regardless of if I am the only one to say it I KNOW there are others thinking it... Take out the Black on white crime and what are you left with? Not much crime other than speeding tickets.

The FBI has CATEGORICALLY PROVEN that black on white crime is 7.5 times that of white on black crime, yet whites outnumber black 7 to 1...HOW is THIS even POSSIBLE???!!!!!????!!!!????!!!???

Oh an btw since I knw either GoGo or Ruby (no offense to either of you) is gonna post it, no I am not a racist, however when faced with these FACTS how can you not see that there is a HUGE problem, that does not boil down to "upbringing"?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!????

Last edited:

1245A Defender

yesssss andddd,,,

you dont gotta be a racist to see black on white crime,,, but
black on black crime is also a huge thing...

blacks and whites and asians and et all do all kinds of nasty things..
you just never know when, or where, or why...

the bus guy didnt need any reason for his actions,
why wasnt he already dead!!!!
why was he out of jail????

our laws keep good people from standing up for the weak, under an attack you cant understand...

many on this forum have said, they wouldnt try to stop an attact that was underway..
i dont think any of our members could say they would have done anything helpful
until the man had been cold cocked,,,,
and then they cant, because the perp is now running away...

i dont think anyone on this forum would take the risk of pulling a gun on the bad guy,
BEFORE the BG had a chance to deck that old man!!

devildoc5

you dont gotta be a racist to see black on white crime

our laws keep good people from standing up for the weak, under an attack you cant understand...

So are we in agreement that the status quo needs to change? All issues of race or "upbringing" aside there is too much BS in the way of people who are HONESTLY willing to help peopel that is tends to PREVENT them from helping others....

END_THE_FED

You would definitely redirect the perps attention. I though you could use force to stop someone engaged in a felonious act, then again, after he committed an aggravated assault (felony level), the felonious act was over.

It's unfortunate that due to the size of the perp v. the older handicap man and all other variables that the perp would not be charged with using lethal force.

I wonder if resisting a citizen arrest is a felony?

On a separate thought.
In the video it didn't really look like the guy ran away, it looked like he just walked away. I think I would have considered walking up to him and acting like I thought it was cool. "Hey, man that S**t was sweet 'Dawg' you knocked his old a** out" then reach out to shack his hand, when we shook hands I would inform him he is being detained for assault, if he tried to struggle I would tackle and hold him until LEO arrive. (keep in mind that at 6'1 280 this is a more viable option for me then some others)
I know this is a dangerous idea, but I also know I wouldn't be able to just stand there and watch him walk away.

Last edited:

END_THE_FED

And in all this Monday-morning QBing woulda-shoulda-coulda, let's not forget that the biggest "shoulda" is the driver should have acted. Since there was obviously not an armed citizen on the bus, the driver was in the best position, and had the best tools, to de-escalate or transfer the attention of the thug. This wasn't just some "Best to stay out of it" fight between two punks, this was a predator verbally assaulting an elderly disabled man for half an hour before physically assaulting him. I dunno about Metro busses, but all CT busses have a great big fire extinguisher right next to the front door. I've considered using it as a weapon more than once (but not much more thankfully). Even if the driver didn't have the cohones to stand up & do something, there's a silent alarm for a reason. He could have had cops on that bus within a few minutes.

A metro driver once told me they had two silent alarms they can push, one is a "I need some police assistance please" and the other is " Get here right Fing now".

Metro drivers need to start carrying Pepper spray. I believe it would actually be illegal for Metro to ban them from doing so.
RCW 9.91.160 (2)

amlevin

He's just another member of society who's sole purpose is to turn Oxygen into Carbon Dioxide so that the tree's can have healthy lives. Of course he could also help the plant life if he was turned into compost.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Oh an btw since I knw either GoGo or Ruby (no offense to either of you) is gonna post it, no I am not a racist, however when faced with these FACTS how can you not see that there is a HUGE problem, that does not boil down to "upbringing"?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!????

Why are you including me in this statement? I have contributed nothing to this thread. Your statements, although you did not cite them to authority, are factual. Of course it is upbringing, cultural choices, familial structure and choices. All of which can be tied to the welfare state and civil rights destruction of the black family. Do not attempt to drag another member into your discussion that was not in the discussion. It is offensive. Make your arguments, cite to authority and let them stand on their own.

END_THE_FED

He's just another member of society who's sole purpose is to turn Oxygen into Carbon Dioxide so that the tree's can have healthy lives. Of course he could also help the plant life if he was turned into compost.

Maybe we can get the greens after him for contributing to "global cool...uh....I mean global warm..... uh climate change".

Metalhead47

A metro driver once told me they had two silent alarms they can push, one is a "I need some police assistance please" and the other is " Get here right Fing now".

Metro drivers need to start carrying Pepper spray. I believe it would actually be illegal for Metro to ban them from doing so.
RCW 9.91.160 (2)

Pepper spray in an enclosed area like a bus is a BAD idea if you ask me. It would not only incapacitate the bad guy, it would seriously affect everyone else in there within seconds, and that could be really bad for seniors/disabled/wheelchair especially, who can't leave easily on their own. And yes, Metro (and CT) can prevent their employees from carrying spray the same way they prevent us from carrying guns. Since they're employers, they're exempted from state preemption in those specifics. Remember Cheery vs Metro.

END_THE_FED

Pepper spray in an enclosed area like a bus is a BAD idea if you ask me. It would not only incapacitate the bad guy, it would seriously affect everyone else in there within seconds, and that could be really bad for seniors/disabled/wheelchair especially, who can't leave easily on their own. And yes, Metro (and CT) can prevent their employees from carrying spray the same way they prevent us from carrying guns. Since they're employers, they're exempted from state preemption in those specifics. Remember Cheery vs Metro.

Excellent point.
I was thinking of more as a visual deterrent or for if something happened outside the bus.

Metalhead47

Excellent point.
I was thinking of more as a visual deterrent or for if something happened outside the bus.

According to our policy, and I'm sure Metro is similar, once it's outside the bus it's no longer "our" issue, and we should just close the doors, call police, & probably leave. Can't say I entirely disagree with that either. From the incidents I've been thru (most of which were back in AZ), pepepr spray would be too dangerous inside the bus, and too late outside the bus.

These "thug pops a guy (usually the driver) and walks off" incidents are pretty much the norm for bus assaults. Close behind are "two punks get into a fight." In either case the driver can't do much other than call the police.

devildoc5

Why are you including me in this statement? I have contributed nothing to this thread. Your statements, although you did not cite them to authority, are factual. Of course it is upbringing, cultural choices, familial structure and choices. All of which can be tied to the welfare state and civil rights destruction of the black family. Do not attempt to drag another member into your discussion that was not in the discussion. It is offensive. Make your arguments, cite to authority and let them stand on their own.

That was the "sarcasm button" again GoGo...Especially since you and i seem to not always see eye to eye on everything all the time, I was making jest of it...

Leatherneck

Pepper spray in an enclosed area like a bus is a BAD idea if you ask me. It would not only incapacitate the bad guy, it would seriously affect everyone else in there within seconds, and that could be really bad for seniors/disabled/wheelchair especially, who can't leave easily on their own.

Isn't there a gel version of pepper spray? Gives off less over-spray and is harder for the victim to wipe off. In fact, it smears and makes the problem worse when the victim tries to wipe it off.
I've never shopped for it so I don't know for sure. A friend of mine who isn't allowed to carry a firearm says that he carries the gel version of pepper spray.

devildoc5

Isn't there a gel version of pepper spray? Gives off less over-spray and is harder for the victim to wipe off. In fact, it smears and makes the problem worse when the victim tries to wipe it off.
I've never shopped for it so I don't know for sure. A friend of mine who isn't allowed to carry a firearm says that he carries the gel version of pepper spray.

Hmm... Maybe THAT is what makes Deros's hair so incredible! The hair is afraid to touch the pepper gel on his head and thus stays RIGHT where he puts it.... :banana:

Metalhead47

No idea here. My only personal experience with the stuff is, just a little bit cleared out a whole high school cafetorium back in the day. Gel or no gel, wouldn't want to have to explain to someone why it ended up all over the guy in the wheelchair on a respirator :eek: