• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Purchased a gun inside Fair Oaks Mall

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Galyans never quit selling handguns. When dicks took over the store they still had handguns for sale marked down to clearance prices.

Actually they did stop for a while. The city of Richmond has some BS rule about having a seller's permit for guns and they made Galyans stop. There's more to the story here - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=46568

Its all moot now anyway

TFred

Actually they did stop for a while. The city of Richmond has some BS rule about having a seller's permit for guns and they made Galyans stop. There's more to the story here - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=46568

Its all moot now anyway
Yes, wow, did you read the story that was posted on that page? It's the Poster Child story for Preemption! Thank goodness, and I can't wait until State Agencies are reeled in as well.

TFred

TFred

There are four Walmart Supercenter stores in my area, three of which I frequent on a regular basis. Only one of those three sells long guns

Which one do and don't?
The Walmart on Southpoint Parkway at Massaponax is the one that sells long guns.

The Walmarts in Central Park in the city and Washington Square, on Route 3 East in Southern Stafford do not.

I don't know about the newest one on Route 17 North in Stafford. If I had to guess, I'd guess they would be considered a rural store, that would sell long guns, but I have only been in that store twice, and not recently, so I just can't remember for sure. In fact, I may have not even known about the distinction the last time I was in that store. It's a bit out of my way. :)

TFred

ocholsteroc

And I used to buy .22LR ammo at the local Western Auto all the time when I was young. I'd ride down there on my bike when I was 13 or 14 and buy a box or two every few weeks in the summer months, in the late '70s/early '80s...

I belive kids where more responsible back then, today kids eat a twizzler and fly off the walls. If you let 13 and 14 year olds today buy ammo, they would go and hurt someone or do bad things.

Come to think of it, theres a Dickssportinggoods here at lynnhaven mall, they sell guns.

Last edited:

Daylen

I belive kids where more responsible back then, today kids eat a twizzler and fly off the walls. If you let 13 and 14 year olds today buy ammo, they would go and hurt someone or do bad things.

Come to think of it, theres a Dickssportinggoods here at lynnhaven mall, they sell guns.

they act that way BECAUSE they are not allowed to buy guns and ammo.

TFred

There was also Best Products.... but the companies that have gone out of business don't really matter... my question was geared more towards the ones that are still around... with the thought that as the tides continue to shift, they might go back "in" the gun business.

TFred

mrjam2jab

Last night I was at Greenbrier Mall in Chesapeake Va, my son asked me "can you have a gun shop inside a mall?" I was kind of thrown off by his question so I told him someone would not be allowed to open a gun shop in the mall.

Today I remembered when I was 18 years old I bought a .30-30 rifle at Herman's sporting goods inside Fair Oaks Mall in northern Va, this was back in 1988.

I'll be sure to let him know.

I don't remember if they sold handguns or not, but we bought plenty of .357 and .44 mag ammo there.:)

Let's say you...not a chain store...wanted to open a gun store. Long guns, pistols, ammo, accessories...etc. "would not be allowed to" because the mall management wouldn't allow? because the town wouldn't allow the licensing? It's not illegal is it?

TFred

Let's say you...not a chain store...wanted to open a gun store. Long guns, pistols, ammo, accessories...etc. "would not be allowed to" because the mall management wouldn't allow? because the town wouldn't allow the licensing? It's not illegal is it?
I'm no expert, but I do know that the town or county doesn't have a say in it, due to the Preemption law. A mall, if it is privately owned, could probably choose to not lease the space to you, if they wanted.

As noted in this thread, there are plenty of examples of stores that sell guns in malls.

TFred

LeftEyeOpen

I spoke with one of the managers at Dicks at Patrick Henry Mall several weeks back as I was looking at some of the shotguns. The management physically carries the gun through checkout (after all required paperwork) and can only give the gun to the owner in the parking lot. Not sure if the mall mandates that or not - I have never seen a 'no weapons/firearms' sign at any of the entrances though.

Dreamer

The reason MOST malls have such ridiculous "no firearms" policies is because almost EVERY single mall in the US is now owned/managed by international property management corporations--mostly based in England and France.

Do the research--what you find will shock you...

Not only are there almost NO manufacturing businesses left in the US, but even the "service" industries like retail are primarily owned (or at least their property is owned) by foreign interests.

Jefferson was right. Our children ARE waking up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The reason MOST malls have such ridiculous "no firearms" policies is because almost EVERY single mall in the US is now owned/managed by international property management corporations--mostly based in England and France.

Do the research--what you find will shock you...

Not only are there almost NO manufacturing businesses left in the US, but even the "service" industries like retail are primarily owned (or at least their property is owned) by foreign interests.

Jefferson was right. Our children ARE waking up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered...

Sad, but true. :(

KBCraig

I spoke with one of the managers at Dicks at Patrick Henry Mall several weeks back as I was looking at some of the shotguns. The management physically carries the gun through checkout (after all required paperwork) and can only give the gun to the owner in the parking lot. Not sure if the mall mandates that or not - I have never seen a 'no weapons/firearms' sign at any of the entrances though.
That's not a mall thing. Dicks does that at all their stores. So do Wal-Mart, Gander Mtn, Bass Pro, Academy, and Big Five.

Last edited:

jhp45

Quantico tactical

The store located in Potomac Mills is an outlet store only. Lots of apparel, but that's really about it. I was disappointed that they closed their store in Woodbridge.