• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another project. Need examples of armed civilians stopping active shooters.

ep0k

Working on another project. Need examples of armed citizens defending themselves, assisting law enforcement, etc in active shooter scenarios. So far I've got:

Texas A&M (1966) - Armed civilians law down suppressive fire against shooter Charles Whitman, forcing him to take cover and severely restricting his field of view. Allen Crum ascends the tower with police. Whitman is killed.

Pearl, Mississippi (1997) - Principal Joel Myrick stops school shooter Luke Woodham (who has already killed 3) by pointing a .45 at him as he fled the scene (intending to continue his spree at the nearby Junior High School). Myrick later tells the press he kept the gun in his vehicle specifically in case something like this ever happened.

Edinboro, Pennsylvania (1997) - Civilian James Strand convinces a juvenile shooter to surrender by pointing a shotgun at him. The shooter had already killed one person and wounded two others.

Virginia School Of Law (2002) - Armed with their personal firearms (retrieved from their cars), students Tracy Bridges and Ted Besen subdue shooter Peter Odighizuwa while he is in the middle of a physical struggle with a police officer.

Colorado Springs (2007) - Church shooter Matthew Murray, who had already taken four lives at two other churches, is killed by volunteer security guard Jeanne Assam.

Winnemucca, Nevada (2008) Ernesto Villagomez opens fire in a crowded bar, killing two brothers and injuring two others. When he stops to reload he is killed by an unnamed civilian who was carrying concealed in the establishment.

I've also found references to a report by Ron Borsch which shows that armed and unarmed civilians actually account for stopping about 70% of active shooter scenarios. He argues that single officers should go into a building where shooting is occurring rather than wait for backup (waiting for backup multiplied the deaths at Columbine and Virginia Tech) but also argues strongly for wider issuance of concealed firearms permits and a generally more armed population.

You guys got more data for me?

Last edited:

boyscout399

In reference to the Virginia School of Law incident. Those students were all off duty police. Tracy Bridges and Mikeal Gross ran to their cars to get firearms. Bridges was a Sheriff's Deputy in Ashenvale, North Carolina and Gross was a Police Officer from Grifton, North Carolina. Ted Besen was an unarmed student and a Police Officer with Wilmington, North Carolina who engaged in an unarmed confrontation with the shooter.

ep0k

In reference to the Virginia School of Law incident. Those students were all off duty police. Tracy Bridges and Mikeal Gross ran to their cars to get firearms. Bridges was a Sheriff's Deputy in Ashenvale, North Carolina and Gross was a Police Officer from Grifton, North Carolina. Ted Besen was an unarmed student and a Police Officer with Wilmington, North Carolina who engaged in an unarmed confrontation with the shooter.

Scratch that one, I guess. It still supports my argument but I'm just focusing on civilians right now.

boyscout399

Scratch that one, I guess. It still supports my argument but I'm just focusing on civilians right now.

read my secret service report that I just posted. The end lists 41 school shootings by date and city, state. 12 of those 41 active shooter situations were stopped by school staff or students. 13 incidents were stopped by the shooter himself, and 10 were stopped by Law Enforcement