• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walther P22

Dieselcrawler

An un-planned stop at a gun show last weekend led to me walking out with a new Walther P22... due in part to reading things posted here, and a few other items I found in online searches...

Only came with one mag, I've ordered another, as well as a fobus holster for it. Was disapointed in the lack of selection in the holsters for the P22, would have liked a left handed rotoholster, but all they had in the fobus was standard paddle, no roto, only right handed. But it's better than nothing.

I've had the chance to put about 150-200 rounds thru it, and not issues, no mis-fires, jambs, anything. So far, I like this little gun... might only be a .22, but it's small enough to hide on me (I'm smaller, 5'7", 130lbs), when I get my CC permit, I beleive it will be with me most of the time. I'm reluctant to open carry, as I am a self employeed, and don't want to taint my business reputation with "that gun nut" kinda flavor. However, when I get the permit, I will carry. No one but me needs to know, and for now, the lil' P22 will do fine for me... Sure it's no 9mm or 45acp, but any gun is better than no gun. And at some point, I plan to provide a nice home for a Glock 26, as my G17 needs a little brother... but till then...

Any sugestions on an ankle holster for the P22? Anyone use one with this gun, how do you like it? As I always wear slip-on boots, an ankle holster makes sence to me.

JollyLBK

I have a Walther P22 as well and I absolutely love the pistol. Ive put about 1k rounds thru mine and it has only failed to eject twice, and it eats anything I feed it. However I don't particularly recommend it as a carry pistol but it's a hell of alot better than carrying nothing. I did notice something random tho.. While out plinkin' in the desert I slipped the pistol into my holster on my waist which is a Blackhawk Serpa (Level 2) for the Glock 19/23 etc.. it fit just fine and clicked right in. Maybe you could consider one of those?

Dreamer

I have a Walther P22, and I had the same issue with finding a holster--until I started thinking outside the box...

I can confirm that almost ANY leather holster made for the Glock 26/27 will fit a Walther P22 like it was made for it. I have a Bianchi Model 59 "Special Agent" that is labeled for Glock 26/27, and it fits the P22 like a glove...

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/Prod.php?TxtModelID=59

I've also test-fitted it into several Galco and Tagua holsters made for the Glock 26/27, and it fits them as well.

I can't comment on the fitment of Serpa holsters to the P22, but now that I've seen "JollyLBK's" comment that the Serpa's for the Glock 19/23 will fit the P22, I may have to try that out at my local gun store. The Serpa is my favorite "retention" holster--I own 2 for my 1911 an one for my Glock 36, and LOVE them.

I don't carry my Walther (I have 2 .45acps, why would I?...) so I went with the spiffy look of tan leather that the Bianchi Special Agent offers. It has a thumb-break so retention is secure, but I've never OCed it anywhere except the range.

My P22 is black and OD, so it looks REALLY nice in a tan leather holster. I'd highly suggest you look at the Bianchi model 59 Special Agent. Great quality, super-spiffy looks, and the paddle is secure and comfy.

But if you're going to actually carry it as a self-defense gun, ou may want to try the Serpa--it's a much faster drawing holster, and the paddle is incredibly secure...

Last edited:

Daylen

...when I get my CC permit, I beleive it will be with me most of the time. I'm reluctant to open carry, as I am a self employeed, and don't want to taint my business reputation with "that gun nut" kinda flavor. However, when I get the permit, I will carry. No one but me needs to know, and for now, the lil' P22 will do fine for me...

I'd slap a cowboy hat on, grow a HUGE mustache and be Cowboy Diesel, the one to go to when ya need ???????

but that's just me :)

on a more serious note, my favorite holster is a generic leather holster that is not form fitted or anything like that. It is a simple one size fits guns of a general size. It is so dang comfortable in any situation because it is soft and not designed to fit only one gun perfectly. I'd recommend it to you if not for the fact that I got it at a gun show from a woman who is the sales department of her company and her sister is the manufacturing department. If only they had another sister to do a website with sales from it...

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
In my opinion, the .22 is not potent enough for a self-defense firearm. I guess it's better than a sharp stick, but if you're really, truly fighting for your life, don't you want something with more power?

45acpForMe

In my opinion, the .22 is not potent enough for a self-defense firearm. I guess it's better than a sharp stick, but if you're really, truly fighting for your life, don't you want something with more power?

+1

While I like our Walther P22 I use it for training of my kids. There are smaller guns that have larger calibers. Another gun we use for training is the Kahr P380. It provides more recoil than the 22 so my kids can get used to it. I would use neither of them as a primary SD gun unless I had no other.

We don't need to get into another caliber war but while a .22LR can be deadly I won't trust it with my life.

If you are looking for small and concealable check out Kahr Arms. Their are plenty of other choices like Kel-tec, Ruger, Taurus, Berretta, etc that have reasonably priced guns with larger SD calibers (9mm, 40s&w, 45acp)

Dieselcrawler

Yeah, I know a .22 is small, but as stated, any gun is better than none when you need it... as of right now, the P22 is the only one I have that is small enough to CC, and when I manage to get my hands on one, I'll have a Glock 26, about the same size as the P22. But for now... will carry the P22 concealed, and keep the Glock 17 hidden in the truck...

Open Carry, I'll take my G17 with me... but it's too big to conceal. I even took it deer hunting this year, was hopin' to use it if a close shot operutnity came up. But the long shots were needed, and a 7mm WSM does a nice job droppin' deer at 150-200 yards...