• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Getting cold outside...

GLOCK 23

The weather is getting colder and to me seems to be getting a little harder to Open Carry. I was just wondering how you guys deal with it if you don't have a CCW? I mean all my sweaters and jackets are big and baggy, so i'm going to have to figure something out.

28kfps

Yep wearing a jacket makes it harder to open carry. I have seen jackets with a slit on the gun side. I believe the slit could be closed up with snaps, zipper, or maybe Velcro when not carrying. However it worked well, the jacket can be tucked somewhat behind and on each side of the holster with the holstered firearm in clear view. I have not researched it or look for one and did not get much of a chance to talk to the person that had it. Could be something purchased at a law enforcement supply place. I have two tactical holsters. One is a soft type with a thumb strap for retention just over $30 and it works well. There is no brand name and I cannot remember where I got it, holds the firearm just below the jacket bottom edge; the holster rig black on black pants is not so Rambo and tactical looking. Depending on your vehicle, if a subcompact car, however unlikely it could interfere with comfort. I am left-handed so not much of an issue with the holster being on the door side. I also have a Safari hard plastic type material. A little on the large side and looks very tactical with two stage retention. I only wear this one for a part time job. Wearing it hours on end, it stays in place though large comfortable to ware.

Last edited:

Nevada carrier

I use a drop leg holster. Mad Mans army surplus has a few variations that can be configured to fit most full size pistols for about $50. Blackhawk has a setup that you can attach a SERPA for you specific firearm as well.

The Big Guy

I wear my holster on a sperate belt on the outside of my jacket, or since most of my jackets are short, just tuck it in behind the gun.