Thread: Backfires from broken-down van draw bullets

Backfires from broken-down van draw bullets

Thank God no one was hurt, lesson here is know what your target is before shooting and that it is a real threat as a cop or civilian

Phillip Ransom thought he had trouble Thursday night when his old van broke down on the side of the road, booming out backfires.

But that was when his troubles really began.

Two Kansas City police officers, mistaking the van’s backfires for gunshots, began firing at it.

It was a terrifying moment for the Kansas City man, who was unarmed and said he did not own a gun.

The incident occurred just before 6 p.m. Thursday on Gregory Boulevard near Interstate 435. Ransom, who owns a janitorial service, said he was on his way home from work.

But his van didn’t make it, breaking down just a block from his home.

About the same time, someone called police and reported shots being fired.
    But Thursday night, Ransom, concerned that the vehicle might catch fire, stepped out of the van about the time the two officers arrived to investigate and began firing.

Ransom could only stand with his hands in the air and yell that he was not shooting.

“I guess they couldn’t hear me,” Ransom said Friday.

Besides the damage to Ransom’s van, windows of the patrol car were also shot out — apparently by the officers as they got out of the patrol car.

Police and media reports initially described the incident as the police car being hit by a bullet fired from a suspect in the van.

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2010/11/12...#ixzz15gyTmpq6
    Last edited by zack991; 11-18-2010 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zack991 View Post
    Two Kansas City police officers, mistaking the vanís backfires for gunshots, began firing at it.
    Is this what's meant by the expression, "eating crow?"
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by zack991 View Post
    Besides the damage to Ransomís van, windows of the patrol car were also shot out ó apparently by the officers as they got out of the patrol car.

The only question I have is; Is the anxity that high there, that the police respond as that? I am not being critical, I don't know the area. If the area is that high of a risk area, May who ever they believe in be looking after them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattrapper View Post
    The only question I have is; Is the anxity that high there, that the police respond as that? I am not being critical, I don't know the area. If the area is that high of a risk area, May who ever they believe in be looking after them.
    Yes, that is a "not so great" area of town where it would not be out of character to hear (actual) gunfire. They screwed up, I don't know why they would open fire without seeing a firearm, but I can somewhat understand their anxiety in that part of town.

The people of that town must feel so safe with such guardians of justice on the job...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve9MMinMO View Post
    Yes, that is a "not so great" area of town where it would not be out of character to hear (actual) gunfire. They screwed up, I don't know why they would open fire without seeing a firearm, but I can somewhat understand their anxiety in that part of town.
    Yet it may be a crappy part of town much like Youngstown is here in Ohio, yet I have always been trained to never fire unless I see a valid threat before I would ever open fire. Much less shoot through my window at a target "i think" is shooting at me. Both need to be fired and charged with assault with a deadly weapon as well as they owe that man a new van. If they get away with this attempted murder in court with "well its a bad part of town" my eyes with catch on fire. If it was any of us who did this we would be see 20 plus years for this.
    Last edited by zack991; 11-23-2010 at 05:55 PM.

Story picked up by Market Ticker

http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=174826

Good site if you have a financial background or want to learn. Very freedom oriented owner.

I bet alot of RX-7 owners are driving more carefully after this.

Quote Originally Posted by sv51macross View Post
    I bet alot of RX-7 owners are driving more carefully after this.
    burn