• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Backfires from broken-down van draw bullets

zack991

Thank God no one was hurt, lesson here is know what your target is before shooting and that it is a real threat as a cop or civilian

VanShooting95_ME_11-12-10_JFS_11-13-2010_631IDJCB.embedded.prod_affiliate.81.jpg

Phillip Ransom thought he had trouble Thursday night when his old van broke down on the side of the road, booming out backfires.

But that was when his troubles really began.

Two Kansas City police officers, mistaking the van’s backfires for gunshots, began firing at it.

It was a terrifying moment for the Kansas City man, who was unarmed and said he did not own a gun.

The incident occurred just before 6 p.m. Thursday on Gregory Boulevard near Interstate 435. Ransom, who owns a janitorial service, said he was on his way home from work.

But his van didn’t make it, breaking down just a block from his home.

About the same time, someone called police and reported shots being fired.
But Thursday night, Ransom, concerned that the vehicle might catch fire, stepped out of the van about the time the two officers arrived to investigate and began firing.

Ransom could only stand with his hands in the air and yell that he was not shooting.

“I guess they couldn’t hear me,” Ransom said Friday.

Besides the damage to Ransom’s van, windows of the patrol car were also shot out — apparently by the officers as they got out of the patrol car.

Police and media reports initially described the incident as the police car being hit by a bullet fired from a suspect in the van.

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2010/11/12/2427505/backfires-from-broken-down-van.html#ixzz15gyTmpq6

Last edited:

Rattrapper

The only question I have is; Is the anxity that high there, that the police respond as that? I am not being critical, I don't know the area. If the area is that high of a risk area, May who ever they believe in be looking after them.

Steve9MMinMO

The only question I have is; Is the anxity that high there, that the police respond as that? I am not being critical, I don't know the area. If the area is that high of a risk area, May who ever they believe in be looking after them.

Yes, that is a "not so great" area of town where it would not be out of character to hear (actual) gunfire. They screwed up, I don't know why they would open fire without seeing a firearm, but I can somewhat understand their anxiety in that part of town.

zack991

Yes, that is a "not so great" area of town where it would not be out of character to hear (actual) gunfire. They screwed up, I don't know why they would open fire without seeing a firearm, but I can somewhat understand their anxiety in that part of town.

Yet it may be a crappy part of town much like Youngstown is here in Ohio, yet I have always been trained to never fire unless I see a valid threat before I would ever open fire. Much less shoot through my window at a target "i think" is shooting at me. Both need to be fired and charged with assault with a deadly weapon as well as they owe that man a new van. If they get away with this attempted murder in court with "well its a bad part of town" my eyes with catch on fire. If it was any of us who did this we would be see 20 plus years for this.

Last edited: